Lokin

Hello RWG Board

Lokin

Hey guys, I've been poking around for a week or so, learning lots of new things. I made my first purchase so I figured I would also introduce myself. Most people call my Lokin (Loke-in), I'm a student, computer programmer and a mechanic in my off time. I love doing things with my hands so I'm really trying to learn to mod my own watches if you have any starter tips let me know!

I have only ever owned two watches, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual given to me by my dad who received it from his dad and an Invicata which I promptly lost. I just ordered a lower quality Omega SMP 300m from Lawrence at Asiakrono though I have not yet received it.

Good to be here and I'll see you all around the board.

watchmonger

Welcome Lokin. You'll fit right in...lotz of professional and "amateur" modders here to learn from.

Lokin

Good to hear, maybe I'm voicing everyones thoughts but I want a smaller collection, say, 6 reps? that are all absolutely top notch, good reliable movements, solid construction, nice lumes and I would love to be able to hop in the pool with them. Whether I achieve this through my own modding or sending them out to a pro (I've heard great things about Kenny). Only question is, where do I start?

Edited by Lokin

Luthier

Welcome aboard, Lokin!

Good you lost Invicata...

:D

Lokin

Welcome aboard, Lokin!

Good you lost Invicata...

Haha, I actually took it off at the golf resort I was at because people kept asking me if it was an Omega, and when I said "No, Invicta" they sorta shied away as if it were contagious.

Amit

Lol I like that story.

Welcome mate. I hear you with the small collection but I reckon that's what all of us said to ourselves at one point or the other.

The cheapies are ok if you want to do a little experimenting/modding of your own.

However I have found that in the long run its always better to go for the higher spec version.

Lokin

Lol I like that story.

Welcome mate. I hear you with the small collection but I reckon that's what all of us said to ourselves at one point or the other.

The cheapies are ok if you want to do a little experimenting/modding of your own.

However I have found that in the long run its always better to go for the higher spec version.

Yeah I plan on only buying the higher end models and then improving on them, but that's where I am getting stuck. All the reviews I see are for watches themselves, not the specifics reps of a given watch from a specific supplier so I am not sure where to go for my first nice rep. :/

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

It's good to start with a cheapie or two until you start to understand reps in more detail - then you will want to graduate onto the higher quality (and more costly) reps. ;)

Luthier

If you'll buy hi-end reps, there's not much improvement needed.

stolikat

Welcome to your new addiction!!

Cyril_Clunge

Small collection? Ah yes, I vaguely remember having a similar plan :)

Welcome aboard the RWG Express to Bankruptcy.

Lokin

:) Thanks for all the warm welcomes fellas! I'm glad to be in such a nice community!

And maybe I'll go pick up a second job........ :P

EDIT:

If you'll buy hi-end reps, there's not much improvement needed.

What is considered a hi-end rep, can I directly correlate it with cost? Clearly there are the cheapie $30-150 with the 21j's but then there are the $200+ reps with ETA movements, from there on how do I determine quality?

Edited by Lokin

Wiz

Welcome on board!

jeffw69

Welcome to the nuthouse!

Mazz

Welcome aboard mate

Be sure to visit the museum

Lokin

Haha, will do. Does anyone have any insight on my last question? How do you differentiate between a $200 watch with an ETA movement and a more expensive rep with a similar movement?

J.Eric

Welcome!

Balad1

Glad to have you join us and welcome to the wonderful world of RWG and reps.

Luthier

Haha, will do. Does anyone have any insight on my last question? How do you differentiate between a $200 watch with an ETA movement and a more expensive rep with a similar movement?

Let's say... $200+ for good replicas with ETA or ETA clones, that are as good as gen. ETAs. Watch with chrono functions (A7750 or Lemania movements) will cost you around $280-$350, and they're mostly very well built, as I call them - 0,9:1.

machiavegli

Let's say... $200+ for good replicas with ETA or ETA clones, that are as good as gen. ETAs. Watch with chrono functions (A7750 or Lemania movements) will cost you around $280-$350, and they're mostly very well built, as I call them - 0,9:1.

+1... I'd say my happiest $ spent so far has been reasonable ($100-200 like you mention) rep which I've dressed up with near-equal handmade strap for another $100-200.

-Mach

Lokin

Interesting, ok good to hear. I just see some $800 reps and can't see how they are better. Gen parts maybe...

solkryssare

Welcome!!

Don't be expecting any gen parts form an off the shelf watch. Those are added by modders later on.

Lokin

So then what causes such big price differences? Or small ones for that matter, time shop charges $350 for what silix charges $200.