Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Pressure testing a watch

KBH

Very unscientific and if you ruin your watch I don't want to hear about it.

On the other hand I refuse to own a dive watch that won't take at least swimming in the pool and at the beach.

First I would strongly suggest decasing the watch and then lube the seals and make sure it's all tightened up. Swish it around in the water as hard as you can and if you don't see water give it at least 30 minutes at the bottom of the deep end of the pool.

DSCN3707.jpg

If it fails you'll know in a hurry. This one as it came from Josh leaked mightily. Major fail. I later traced it to a cracked crystal down at the bottom by the sealing ring.

DSCN3708.jpg

New Clark crystal on left. Notice the bottom of the original on right is broken. You couldn't see it until the bezel was removed.

DSCN3705.jpg

After replacing the crystal with the new one I gave it another try and it passed. Just to make sure let's do it one more time with the movement installed.

DSCN3762.jpg

Success! No water.

DSCN3763.jpg

greg_r

I suddenly have this mental picture of standing by the deep end of the local swimming pool being asked why I'm dangling my watch in it.... :D

Good idea though :thumbsup2:

sconehead

But I don't have a pool KB...If I take it to my local swimming baths to test in a net, will people think I'm strange??? :thumbsup2:

I've been swimming in every non-chrono sports rep I've owned after lubing and giving it a once over. Even my 111h..

I read somewhere about testing in hot water if you suspect they may leak?

edit: beaten to the punch by Greg...bugger...

KBH
But I don't have a pool KB...If I take it to my local swimming baths to test in a net, will people think I'm strange??? :thumbsup2:

Yes, they will. Monkeys generally don't like water.

sconehead
But I don't have a pool KB...If I take it to my local swimming baths to test in a net, will people think I'm strange??? :D

A bit like that sub from Josh??? :thumbsup2:

KBH

Exactly.... :thumbsup2:

sconehead
Exactly.... :D

:thumbsup2:

JoeyB

True, but they slobber all over everything...MonkeyDance_sm.gif

trailboss99

Back on toipc: Hot water is a real bad idea, Mmmkay?

The UV glue that is used to retain crystals is sensitive to heat (ya gotta get 'em out somehow) and will fail in hot water. This is why you should never wear a watch (gen or rep) in a hot tub or sauna.

Col.

KBH

I haven't been too impressed with that UV curing cement. I used the GS hypo cement last time. From what I've read after Googling the subject a lot of watch repair guys are recommending using clear 2 part epoxy, which seems like the ultimate solution to me.

sconehead

Does it dry as clear as the uv stuff though?

mad dawg

Although I'm no expert, epoxy dosn't sound right. Epoxy will be very hard and near impossible to remove in case of crystal replacement. Something that dissolves in acetone/turps will be easier to handle.

KBH
Does it dry as clear as the uv stuff though?

Yes

And as for the epoxy, I'd be a little scared of it. Seems like it would be too easy to screw up a plastic crystal.

The professional people that were using it said they switched because they had too many problems with customers loosing crystals with the UV glue.

trailboss99

I'd be a little afraid of using epoxy too. VERY hard to remove if the crystal ever needs replacing. GS will work tho.

The shop has both GS and UV glues BTW.

Col.