Sign in to follow this  
ohtoht

Looking at the Omega Plopro (Asian 2813 vs Swiss ETA 2834-2)

ohtoht

thinking of making my first online purchase either here

http://www.timeshops.net/noobfactory/11592-xfom2300-omega-ploprof-1200m-black-dial-ss-ru-asian-2813-automatic.html

or here

http://www.torobravos.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_128_129&product_id=193

I've read all the links recommended and I know the difference but mechanically but what is the difference visually? How will the watch perform differently, how will the second hand sweep differently? What about the longevity of the watch?

the Asian is $148 while the Swiss is $378 and both are from TDs. I will be buying in white, not orange (not that it matters).

If you go asian movement, is it easily spotted as a rep? Finally, are these two watches identical other than the movement?

this stuff takes a long time to learn, be patient with me :)

Jetpants

If you buy white the beat rate (the rate at which the seconds tick) is the least of your concerns for accuracy. The colour of the hands is a far easier tell.

Edit to actually answer your questions...

• Yes the hands sweep differently, slightly slower/jerkier on cheaper one. Not an easy tell for most normal people ;)

• If the asian $148 is actually a V1.5, the only difference to the swiss, besides the movement, will be the clasp (small visual differences and no extension) and the rubber itself (very stiff and uncomfortable) - it's possible they've upgrded these since my last ploprof buy so YMMV

• Longevity is a tricky one. Some will tell you the cheap 21j is much more robust than the "swiss", especially the swiss they put in our reps. At least, it's a cheap and easy replacement. For true longevity, get the swiss and have it serviced.

• asian clone movement (the one that should be about 50 cheaper than the swiss) is also a good option, but not a cheap or easy replace movement. Same cost to service. You may get 10 years or 2 days out of it.

Edited by Jetpants

mrs1986

I wouldnt be so sure that they are the same, the more expensive reps are better finished, at least is that what i can see...

Regarding the second hand sweep, i dont care, is actually hard to tell the difference whitout looking "too much" at the second hands...

Anyway... The ETA should be far more realiable in long therms and it should let you get it fixed if broken....

Your money, your choice :D

jeffw69

They are not even in the same ballpark. The $148 version, IMO, is not even close and I personally don't go with 2813 movements.

I would go with the one you linked to on Toro's site.

That is definitely the "ultimate" version, with 2 piece caseback.

Of course, if you want a cheap watch just to see if the watch is right for you, then by all means go wit TS.

BTW, I have the more expensive version.

DFH

i agree with Jeff 100% The difference between the 2 is night and day, Toro's version is definitely the winner here. Good Luck!

ohtoht

jeff, you got a link to your more expensive version? I'm def not going to go with the asian 2813 after reading this thread :) I'm only ever going to have 6 watches in the rotation so spending $400-$500 on them isn't a big deal. From the looks of it, you can get back what you paid for minus a few bucks so they are pretty liquid :)

jeffw69

jeff, you got a link to your more expensive version? I'm def not going to go with the asian 2813 after reading this thread :) I'm only ever going to have 6 watches in the rotation so spending $400-$500 on them isn't a big deal. From the looks of it, you can get back what you paid for minus a few bucks so they are pretty liquid :)

Talk to Toro, I'm sure that he will find you a very nice one.

This is mine:

89e25e7d.jpg

Realism

WOW what is that behind it, an LV bag? geez... this is a watch forum :giggle::fail:

jeffw69

WOW what is that behind it, an LV bag? geez... this is a watch forum :giggle::fail:

Louis Vuitton weekender duffle. Are you surprised??? I am the LV whore!!!!!

Realism

Louis Vuitton weekender duffle. Are you surprised??? I am the LV whore!!!!!

Rep or gen is my next question :boxedin: whahahahaha

ohtoht

lol, you guys are to much. emailed sent to toro

highergame

i'd go eta all day long ... jeff all these lv bags are they gen or rep??

Balad1

Wow Jeff, that's a nice LV, is it a man purse?