Sign in to follow this  
highergame

what major should I go with

highergame

So I've been a mortgage broker for about 7 years now and since the real estate market is pretty bottom I've been taking the time to go back to school and finish my degree. I'm at a point where I have to either jump on full board with accounting or business management. I know in my gut that accounting would open more doors but I'm such a people person that I couldn't picture myself stuck in a 5x5 staring at numbers 24/7. So I know most of you are all older then me (29) and have lots more world experence what would you do go with the business m. degree or take the harder route and do accounting and even if I don't go that route I always have it to fall back on? I know this isn't a watch ? but just wanted to get everyones view point since I've seriously been going crazy trying to make the choice.

HG

Edited by highergame

bklynboy

accountants are people too

some are even consultants :)

Rav747

With Accy you will always find a job no matter what. Pay is is also good. Honestly, I have a couple of friends in IB/M&A/Pvt Eq and love their job. Stressful as fark, but you bank!

My brother's wife did he MBA in Supp Chain Mgt and loves it. Apparently, there is quiet a demand for that, but she was limited geographically.

All the best :)

myaz

The day of working for the man, the same man, your whole career and then retiring is fast fading. There are more and more people doing career changes more than once. There's truly not a clear correct decision now, only choices. Seize your best opportunity for the moment and then if things change, you must re-evaluate and make another hard choice. There are plenty of people who have made fortunes, lost them, and made them again. The fear of making the wrong decision is what makes many people stay put far too long.

There will always be a need for accounting no matter where and when. A business masters opens many doors, hence you gotta open the right one.

DFH

Where are you geographically? Makes all the difference in the world these days....

sms

I'd say accounting for sure. If you pass the exam you could always hang out your shingle if nothing else, especially if, as you say, you are a people person. As someone with BA I can attest to the fact it is pretty much worthless. After 30+ years with same company, we got bought out, new company pulled everyone's transcripts and forced me to go back to school and take more math/science and get a BS to keep my title. I declined, accepting a lesser title at same $. A couple of years later I found out what the lesser title really meant. I was in a job that I was not qualified for educationally, but I had worked my way to the top of the department. Sometimes the paper matters. Perhaps an extreme example, but it really happened, not just to me, but hundreds of people after the takeover.

NCRich

Business school professor here. A degree in "management" qualifies you to do exactly what? It is almost as bad as general studies. I'd suggest you get a degree that qualifies you to do something. Think of it as a skills toolbox. My choices would be ACCT, information systems, or finance. Of those the ACCT will usually require a Masters degree to sit for the CPA (in the US anyway). Information security is a very hot job market right now as well. I'm an MIS prof and most of my grads are employed and working in that field. Average starting salary this past year was $56K in my area. ACCT starts a bit lower but the upside is more lucrative.

Good Luck!

Dragonscape

I have the Bus degree, qualified for accounting but elected the BS mgmt....Should have taken the accounting

highergame

thanks so much everyone for the advice, you all pretty much said what I was thinking and trying to getting a little more feedback from like minded people. I have to agree mis is a hot field to be in and my try to take some certs in that area to help expain my market some. I know my brother has been in it for 15 years worked for nasa and a few other govt. people and now writes his own ticket. Sad part is he spends it faster then he makes it wish I could program some of the debit lessons I learned by seeing everyones credit for all those years to him. But again thanks so much looks like i'll be going to school from 12 to 10 this summer and working before then.

HG

oh and my location is Charlotte NC U.S.A

Rav747

How far from Concord mills? :lol: From Durham here.

NCRich

I'm at ECU highergame.

highergame

NCrich. concord mills is mmm 35mins away .... go up there sometimes for basspro. I used to go up to durham all the time for business but haven't been back there but once when I bought my atv off craigslist this spring. Rav. ECU is only about what 5 hours away? Good to see people are so close away... Since your so close you know where lake norman and cherry grove beach NC is. Thats where I'm always at when I'm talking about going out on my boat or going to the beach house. Small world

NCRich

I have family that live on Lake Norman and I have a place at Emerald Isle. Small world indeed.

lawdog12355

A good rule of thumb that someone told me when I was choosing a major, an Acct/Finance major qualifies for every job a management major qualifies for, but a management major doesn't qualify for every job Acct/Finance major qualifies for (If that makes sense). I personally chose finance over accounting, the difference is only about 4 Accounting classes but the finance classes you take instead of the accounting classes, teach you about forecasting/analysis/investments and how to make a company money which I find to be very helpful. I would choose Acct over Management but given the opportunity I feel that Finance is by far the most useful undergraduate business degree as far as transfer-ability into the real world. And yes, I am speaking with some bias because I have a Finance degree but if it makes my statements any more credible I double majored with a degree in management and from my experience all you'll learn in management courses are some basic business terminology and theory's on management techniques which ultimately prove to be much less valuable than even the most insignificant things I learned in my Finance courses. Check out Finance before you make any rash decisions. Accounting people account for what has already happened, Finance people account for the future.

Realism

take em all... i major in accounting, finance and management, minor in analytical consulting

jdthompson131216

Wow small world indeed. I was stationed at camp lejeune. Just got out of the navy back in July of last year. I traveled back and forth from Greenville alot! I dated an ECU student

Luthier

One of my best customers is an accountant. He has 5 or 6 of my guitars, cheapest $5000, most expensive $10,000.

Simple accountant.

Go figure.

P.S. Next time post such a thread in "Off Topic", please.

Realism

just like any other profession, not everyone make the big bucks...

DFH

No matter what degree or profession, it's all about what you do with it - you gotta hustle!!!

Burning Rubber

Could a mod alter the title of this thread to make sense please

powderfreak

Could a mod alter this guy to make some friends here... :facepalm:

solkryssare

:lol:

I see your point. But its up to the OP if he wants it changed or not

highergame

hahaha i was looking for a way to edit it but didn't see it... so feel free to delete a word or two. I had one thought going into the post then changed it and didn't notice that it was messed up till later on.

DFH

Could a mod alter this guy to make some friends here... :facepalm:

:help3: