Sign in to follow this  
Pohoho

Pre-Lume: To Clean or not to clean

Pohoho

This is my Omega Railmaster:

railmaster.th.jpg

Here's where I need the advice from the luming Pros in this forum:

As you can see from the pic, the green minute markers are like just printed onto the dial and does not provide much of a catchment so it will be quite a challenge to do a proper relume.

Do I really have to remove the old lume?

I'm thinking it may be better to leave the old lume and just go over it with the new lume using them as the guide plus I may wreck the white minute markings in the process.

What is the best way forward?

Thank you.

KeNnY

It is hard to get off the lume from Printed dial, because there is high risk of damaging the printing.

But the old lume can "hold" the new lume on top.

Just relume the top mate, maybe the best approach now. Just make the mix not so runny, so you will not loose the sharp edges of the indexes, and here I would say the rule of Slower you go, better the job, will be needed. I think you will use oilers set so use the smallest one, and go step by step , slowly.

Pohoho

Many thanks for the tip Kenny. Finally, a chance to get away from my kids and get done on this project. I'm using WatchLume's WL-Deep Blue powder with clear binder.

1) All Set and Ready to Rock:

img2128y.th.jpg

2) The Result:

img2134k.th.jpg

I really like the embossed look of the numbers and markings, makes it look closer to the real thing.

3) The Lume Shot:

img2139q.th.jpg

Think there's a bit of uneven application but overall I'm happy with this hand painted results, only Kenny or a machine can do it better in this aspect. I got trickier as the binder starts to dry up so hats off to our luming experts here, it's a very delicate job. I give myself a pat on the shoulder for this :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

4) Closer to the Real Thing:

img2140u.th.jpg

The whitish lume does make it look closer to the gen.

I'm open to take lume job for your non-critical pieces as I have some more lume powder left over.

Edited by Pohoho

DFH

Great advice from a master modder - take heed!!!

mrs1986

Good work, this kind of dial is a LOT harder to do than the normal Rolex style.... The ones that have applied markers...

KeNnY

Very nice job mate ! :)

Pohoho

And while putting my girl to sleep just now, I lost track of time as the lume on the hands just blacked out after 15mins while the new blue lume prevailed.

So my next project:

Hands re-lume :) !

J.Eric

Looks good!!

tidus119

Anyone does re-lumeing services here?

WebWind
Anyone does re-lumeing services here?
Check trusted dealers list. Modders have own section.

<RJ>

And while putting my girl to sleep just now, I lost track of time as the lume on the hands just blacked out after 15mins while the new blue lume prevailed.

So my next project:

Hands re-lume smile.png !

Good job on the indexes! And while many pros flame noobs like me for not removing the old lume, repaint the index with the proper colour before applying the new lume its alot easier this way. One thing i did to one of my projects was applying so much lume the hands couldn't pass them :help3:

If you dont go tritec its a fairly cheap hobby so who cares :giggle:

Hands have always been alot easier for me, Very easy to redo if not satisfied. Just soak, dry and go at it again. Many times ive applied to much at the hands also..

If you are really lazy and the lume on the hands are really thin you can do the lazy man hand relume. Apply the lume while the hands are still attached to the movement :offtobed:

Only project i messed up completely while doin the hands was a second hand that i somehow managed to destroy the little thing that fit in the movement. (hangover and watch modding dont mix for me)

Odyseus

I tend to make the lume quite thick, that way you can shape the lume like putty to get the correct shape . And as Kenny says apply the new lume over the old with a fine oiler (ie the black oiler). Definitely worth paying out for some Tritec Superluminova costs about $100.

Pohoho

2 more questions:

I tend to make the lume quite thick, that way you can shape the lume like putty to get the correct shape . And as Kenny says apply the new lume over the old with a fine oiler (ie the black oiler). Definitely worth paying out for some Tritec Superluminova costs about $100.

1) I wrote Tritec but no response to guess hobbyist are no-no for them. Are you able to get Tritec Odyseus10?

2) The hands seems to have smudges after a thinner bath, even when I subsequently use Acetone to wipe them again? Do you guys get the same issue?

It was so hard to get pure Acetone here. Until I asked a friend who owns a nail salon, and even she's switching off Acetone for healthier alternatives! Sigh!

<RJ>

Smudge? Is it possible to get pics of it?

Tritec is available, but I can't remember were. I found it during a search orgie. Best way I think is to buy lume powder from the rwg shop. 30g cost $5 in shipping around the world and the lume are good they say. I have lume from 2 other suppliers now but when If I need more I'll try the rwg stuff.