Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

My first 'build' - or rather rebuild. PAM203

greg_r

So I bought a PAM 203. I didn't want a 21J version, so the 6497 cheapie that Timesshop had at the time seemed like the best way forward.

I paid $88 and it arrived a couple of weeks later.

PAM203-1.jpg

It didn't look too bad once I'd changed the strap, but over the next few months it got relatively little wear - there were some annoyances that were bugging me.

1. The crystal was actually plexi rather than mineral glass - it's hard to see given the angle of the photo above, but from above it looked like there was a 'white ring' around the edge of the crystal. Just looked 'wrong'

2. The crown wasn't quite a pizza cutter, but was still very thin.

3. The CG sucked - the lever was on the wrong side of the CG (on the gen 203 the lever points upwards towards the 12) and it was generally the wrong profile.

The watch sat in the watchbox for about a year doing nothing...

Over the years I've built up quite a collection of spare parts, tools and other odd bits and pieces, but other than de-casing a movement (and that only once) I'd never gotten around to using them. I'm not scared of working with small mechanical items (I've been a n-scale railway model hobbyist for many years), I just never got around to playing around with watches. I figured it was time to have a go - and this was a nice easy project to start off with.

The dial, hands and movement from this watch were all pretty decent. I needed to replace the crown, case, crystal and CG - all parts that were available from a donor watchin my spares box.

The back came off the original watch very easily with a sticky ball. I slowly turned the stem release screw a quarter turn at a time until the stem came away from the movement. The two screws and tabs holding the movement quickly followed and the movement was de-cased and on my workbench in short order. I re-inserted a spare stem and tightened the release screw just to be safe. So far, I hadn't broken anything!

I had another watch with a broken movement but a good crystal that was going to donate some of its parts, so I repeated the process with that.

The pizza cutter crown came off the original stem with a little gentle persuasion and a thicker crown was glued on. Using the movement ring that came with the replacement case, the whole thing went back together in a reversal of the original process. The toughest part was replacing the screws and tabs that hold the movement into the case - I swore at it fiddled with it for about 30 minutes until I hit on the idea of using a little rodico on the end of a spare screwdriver to place the tab in position, then use more rodico on the head of the screw, allowing me to place the screw precisely.

Job done.

Now, given that I know noooooothing about watchmaking, this isn't an 'aren't I clever?' post. This is simply an indication that if a hamfisted, half-blind idiot like me can do it - ANYBODY can do it. :D

Here's the end result. Whilst I'm not quite done yet I'm pretty pleased with it - I'm still not entirely happy with the CG (the lever isn't as good as it should be), but I'll do something about that fairly soon. Overall, I think I'm going to have to do something like this again. Maybe even a 'vintage' build next. I had fun :D

PAM203-rebuilt-0612.jpg

Crusader

Half blinded idiot... l can relate to that :rofl:

Very nice outcome, you made it sound easy, but I would still screw it up. And great looking strap also :)

Arism

Congrats Greg! Looks good for a first 'build'! :clap:

I'm about to embark on my first, so hopefully it goes just as well :giggle:

greg_r

Half blinded idiot... l can relate to that :rofl:

Very nice outcome, you made it sound easy, but I would still screw it up. And great looking strap also :)

It WAS easy - trust me, I know noooooothing about watchmaking, but this whole thing took maybe two hours - about half of which was spent swearing at the movement holder tabs... :lol:

greg_r

Just realised I posted this in General, not watch repair, upgrade etc. d'oh. Noob I am... :facepalm: Moved.

James.

Well done :D

I did similar with mine, also from ts

I didn't like the overly greenish colour of the numerals and hands. So i tried to relume. Emphasis on the "try"... screwed completely. Tore apart the movement etc so I have a shell and that's about it. Im getting a new one to start again hopefully with a better outcome this time :lol:

Yours looks great

jeffw69

Very nice Greg!

KeNnY

Great work Greg ! :) the Crown is really improvement ! :) looking forward for vintage project ! :D

KinCaidk

Welcome aboard to our newest modder, Greg_r.

That's some amazing skills you got there, buddy!!

how much for a full relume of my PO?

Btw - if you wanna trade here on a regular basis, please send me a pm to get a "trusted dealers application form"

Hazz

Greg, good work, and you have helped me solve, my problem in the making, I need a thicker crown for my 127e, any thoughts who might have ?

Del

Well done G! Looks great! :clap:

I've been there with the movement holder tabs - holy shit, I nearly threw the whole lot out the window! :lol: (I think I eventually used blue-tack so I guess we ended up along the same lines. :) )

greg_r

Welcome aboard to our newest modder, Greg_r.

That's some amazing skills you got there, buddy!!

how much for a full relume of my PO?

Btw - if you wanna trade here on a regular basis, please send me a pm to get a "trusted dealers application form"

:rofl:

Greg, good work, and you have helped me solve, my problem in the making, I need a thicker crown for my 127e, any thoughts who might have ?

Hmm - sorry, no idea. All my parts came from a donor watch (which had decent case, crown, crystal but broken movement and a 'comedy' dial). I know nightwatch can supply crowns and tubes, but they're likely to be expensive..

A whole case including crown is easy (Getat) but the crown alone I dunno, sorry...

kolchak

That looks smashing. I'm sending you my spare pam parts and some brown paint.....please build me a new 351 with correct cp.

greg_r

That looks smashing. I'm sending you my spare pam parts and some brown paint.....please build me a new 351 with correct cp.

:sofa:

Mystery Shopper

Nice job Greg!

I just bought a set of tools from the RWG shop and plan to have a tinker with my BP.

It may be Big Pilot or blood pressure- we will see!

ks653

Nice job Greg... ! Gives me (read:another half blind person) some confidence to take on a 'project'...

greg_r

Thanks guys :)

dingle

looks great......

cliff notes version anyone?

:D

greg_r

looks great......

Sure: movement/dial/hands switched into a better case. Crown replaced. I didn't break anything - the watch works. The end. ;)

dingle

looks great......

Sure: movement/dial/hands switched into a better case. Crown replaced. I didn't break anything - the watch works. The end. ;)

:thumbsup2:

gB.

Congrats! :clap:

In other news:

greg_r modding sub section opening soon! :lol:

:Whistle:

gtwc

You're a better man than I am Gunga-Din !!!

A big 'pat on the back' for a job well done.

:thumbsup: