Sign in to follow this  
Melikey

Bent hair spring guidance.

Melikey

HI. I received a PAM 318 beginner on Friday.It was keeping really good time all weekend. Then Monday morning it was running 5 minutes fast. Then on on Tuesday afternoon, it had been running fine, I looked at my watch at 5pm and the watch said 3pm. This prompted me to open it up when I got home. If you look at the 12 position on the hair spring you will see it is kinked.

Currently it seems to be running a minute a day fast.

My question is: Can this be regulated or would that be a waste of time to try?

Thanks for everyone's help!

2012-06-12_18-45-44_929.jpg

Amit

oh man thats a bummer.

10:10 Watch Repair

hairpsrings have a bend in them just after the regulator arm, that's normal.

Amit

learn something new everyday.

Thanks cls.

Melikey

That's good to hear! then I guess I will regulate it.

Since I have some people attention I'll ask another question. I would like to start servicing my own movements. I figure If I screw it up the movements are cheap to replace.

My concern is re-using the hands. I've modified a couple of Seikos and usually with the hands it was one press on and done. If i pulled them then tried to put them back on they would be loose. Do most people re- use their hands or replace them during servicing?

I would gladly replace them but , for instance my 318 the lume on the hands is excellent an the color is a white with the slightest of green hue to them that I image is not easily matched.

you should have no problem removing and replacing hands. get a hands puller from the RG shop and a hands press.

Hands are very easily damaged and scratched, even during factory service they often get replaced. Also, rep hands frequently don't fit right. Seconds hands and small chrono hands come off their tubes, and I find especially the PAM 7750 minute hands are usually loose.

Melikey

Oh, one more thing! (can you tell i'm new at this?) Is it recommended to oil a new movement? I seem to always read that they tend to come dry from the factory. Is there an easy way to tell if they are properly oiled?

Oh, one more thing! (can you tell i'm new at this?) Is it recommended to oil a new movement? I seem to always read that they tend to come dry from the factory. Is there an easy way to tell if they are properly oiled?

You can't / shouldn't oil anything unless you have cleaned it first. Most movements, including reps, are oiled on assembly. They're usually over oiled.

You need at least 10x magnification to see the oiling, but you can still only pick out obvious flaws.