Mark9117

How do you open your Panerai?

Mark9117

I have a Pam ordered and realized that the back is a screw on back that doesn't take a bog standard wrench to open. It takes a rather pricey die. I also notice things like the "Super Horb" that I've seen used in a video. It looks pretty cool, but I don't know if it works as advertised.

Comments?

Thanks.

Mark

dingle

duct tape ball ;)

How-to-make-a-heavy-duct-tape-tennis-ball-Pitcher.jpg

machiavegli

I use a 4 inch rubber ball from the kids, works fine. You can also make a ball out of duct tape

-Mach

dalboy

Rubber ball.......................bounce ,bounce ,bounce,

Dal................

greg_r

Easy solution: sticky ball - aka horb. Cheapest option - only downside is that if you want your watch to be waterproof, the ball will probably not tighten the back sufficiently.

Best solution: properly made caseback die. Avoid the cheapies you'll find on eBay - a lot of 'em don't fit properly and will scratch the crap out of your watch. Col has some good ones in the RWG shop though - perfectly safe if used properly and you won't find that quality for as good a price anywhere else (largely because we run the shop as a service - it doesn't make a profit). The only downside is that you'll need a different die for each size of watch (44mm, 47mm etc).

gottahaverolex

Stick ball is all I've ever used and I made all my Pam's waterproof. Just have to really crank the caseback on and make sure you use silicone grease on the orings. No worries but it will take some balls to dunk the first one. After that you'll be a pro ;)

WebWind
THIS TOOL can open almost every screwed case backs.

gtwc

I bought a set of 4 caseback die(s) from Reg (Narikaa).

They work perfectly.

Check his drop-box or PM him to see if he's still offering them.

seclark007

can't argue...the best tool makes for an easy job

spboudart

Ain't got better pic, but that blue wrench on the following pic:

DSC03087.jpg

Mystery Shopper

A rubber jar opener 'mat' works as well. Same principle as opening the jar.

Baldrick

I just use a butter-knife like everyone else....ohhh wait...sorry that's for a panini....my bad ;)

MadeOfCheese

Out of interest, how do you keep the duct tape ball clean and sticky? Or do you just add a new layer to it each time you want to use it?

I use a rubber ball freebie from Reg, works perfectly (although you have to deflate it a little to get god traction (like supermoto tyres ;))

duct tape ball ;)

How-to-make-a-heavy-duct-tape-tennis-ball-Pitcher.jpg

dingle

I don't....I really just use a 6" strip rolled into a ball. Once finshed, it is trashed until the next time and I repeat. :)

ShiroTenshi

I ahve this tool but I would say the holding tips are too small to have enough surface area to avoid scratching/slip.

machiavegli

I just use a butter-knife like everyone else....ohhh wait...sorry that's for a panini....my bad ;)

:rofl:

highergame

put watch carefully on rock... then take other rock and slab down on it... I promise that thing will be open after hahaha. JK ..... haven't done it yet but heard tape ball works pretty good. let me know what you try and how it works

DFH

With a proper dedicated caseback opener - no muss, no fuss....

dalboy

I use this......................................................

oops sorry ,you said pam !! i thought you said can.!!!

41JJYpGCN9L.jpg

Mazz

I just say "open sesame"

Mark9117

Okay, first of all the duct tape ball looks awesome. Is there anything duct tape can't do? The other ideas (jar opener matt, the wicked looking blue box wrench) will get due consider ation

As for the rubber ball/Horb, I'm probably going to go for one of those. The price is right and the technology is about my par. I will also purchase a die of some kind. I like the looks of the ones in the rwg shop, but I don't know what size the Pam I've ordered will take -- assuming I actually wind up with the watch.

I'd like to thank all of you who responded. You're a great bunch of gents.

I appreciate it.

Mark

WebWind

I ahve this tool but I would say the holding tips are too small to have enough surface area to avoid scratching/slip.

You must choose appropriate tips and tighten them well to avoid slip. Tips are plastic so it is almost impossible to scratch the watch.

Mark9117

I got my noob111 ver 2 from Toro Bravo yesterday. I opened the back with my thumbs. Then, I immediately sealed it back up with my thumbs. I'll get it a bit tighter when I get my hands on a tool (or give up and wad some duct tape into a ball).

Watch is beautiful BTW.

Mark

conx
I got my noob111 ver 2 from Toro Bravo yesterday. I opened the back with my thumbs. Then, I immediately sealed it back up with my thumbs. I'll get it a bit tighter when I get my hands on a tool (or give up and wad some duct tape into a ball).

Watch is beautiful BTW.

Mark

One word......

Pictures !

Mark9117

Watch is beautiful BTW.

Mark

One word......

Pictures !

Pictures you say?

Okay, I can't offer a whole lot. I shot some images just for the record when I unpacked it. Photography is not great, but it will document the thing. Also documents that the AR on this watch is unbelievable. Which is to say I don't believe that there is any anti-reflective coating on this crystal.

The package:

pam_pkg-2.jpg

The bubblewrap burrito:

pam_pkg-3.jpg

The watch:

pam-1.jpg

pam-3.jpg

pam-5.jpg

pam-6.jpg

pam-7_lume.jpg

I'm pretty happy. Can't wait to get the new straps on it.

Mark