Sign in to follow this  
Helmut Wong

What do people tell others

mostling

And doesn't leave you in the poor house.

You sure about that statement?

highergame

when they ask just look at them and say man your a rootie poot sob and walk away.... works every time.....

justinp2121

Been collecting watches for 30+ years and i would say 99% of people don't even notice your watch. The ones I have that get comments are a 50mm monster Fossil watch and a big Invicta Noma 4 that people will either say fu*k me thats real nice or f*ck me what an ugly lump. Wore my rep Rolex to work yesterday , not one comment. Omega rep today again nothing. Most people don't have a clue about watches. When i tell people I have 25+ watches i get looks that say "nutter alert" :help3: .

Very true i never have hardly anyone notice them. The couple times they did i wasnt bale to say they were real LOL. its also kind of like someone said before on here. it leads to an interesting convo.

seclark007

I think it's generally accepted that "watch people" look..that is to say, they notice the watch. I certainly do.

First thing that pops into my head is, "Hmmmm, wonder if it's a rep? If so, who's his source?"

Sebastian7777

I am around people that actually wear $15,000 20,000 watches so that alone made me spent some money on few Gens but since I have been around this forum I have bought few Reps and everybody thinks that they are real. Don't ask, don't tell. Even though, they buy expensive watches they still have no clue to say what's real or what's fake. It takes people like you guys to be afraid that somebody would call you out in front of other people. Bottom line, if you like buying reps insted of blowing bunch of money on Gens because it is a smart thing to do, who cares what everybody esle think. I got few more on my list that I will be getting soon

Luthier

I think the omega plopprof is proportionate to my lifestyle ...

You have such an ugly lifestyle???

Oh, my...

:picard:

:D

Sebastian7777

Yeach Lut

I feel bad for my self too :giggle:

Melikey

People usually just say nice watch. I reply thanks. If they asked if it was real i would tell them but no one has ever asked.

ebzen02

I was chatting with a physician resident who loves Panerai and he loved my vintage 3646..i told him I had put it together and he was amazed and loved the watch. I schooled him a little in vintage panerai since he had no clue.. Glad I was of service and I think he was a bit impressed by my useless information..

jdthompson131216

And doesn't leave you in the poor house.

You sure about that statement?

Nope lol

Helmut Wong

To be honest what switched me onto the whole thing is that my Gen Tag is due for service and has a number of things that need fixing, bezel is loose and just spins freely and the screw in crown thread has gone. Not sure if all those things would be covered by a regular service.

I dont even really like it anymore so rather spend it on a rep.

HeavyKrush

It's funny, I get compliments on my shitty Armitron all the time. Been wearing my Tag for a couple weeks and no one has noticed. Maybe people just notice big watches.

IMAG0198.jpg

DFH

I was chatting with a physician resident who loves Panerai and he loved my vintage 3646..i told him I had put it together and he was amazed and loved the watch. I schooled him a little in vintage panerai since he had no clue.. Glad I was of service and I think he was a bit impressed by my useless information..

+1

Happens to me all the time with my vintage EGI - I just say it's a custom vintage build and the rest of the conversation turns to Panerai history and such....

DFH

I think it's generally accepted that "watch people" look..that is to say, they notice the watch. I certainly do.

First thing that pops into my head is, "Hmmmm, wonder if it's a rep? If so, who's his source?"

Yep ' "who did he get that from, and how much??" :giggle:

fatarms

Most people I know would only recognize a Rolex or maybe an Omega. No one knows Panerai, AP's, hell, I even have a Hublot skeleton rep of some $250,000 watch that no one knows about let alone the Hublot name.

I have 6 different Rolexes and have not had one person ask me about them, just get the very occasional "that's a nice watch."

Yes, but don't you live in Ohio??? :rofl:

Yeah?

DFH

As Ohio goes, so goes the nation....

jeffw69

:rofl:

fatarms

Poor USA :(

DFH

Poor USA :(

:giggle: Right?? I lived there - I know!!!

Tiderback

Look Helmut. I love the looks of a DSSD. Now. I could empty my savings and go blow it on a gen or I can contact Mary or Rochester and order a very nice rep that looks and runs just as good as the gen.

Not to mention the cost of servicing a gen is very expensive whereas you can find someone here who can service or mod your rep for much less. I can't justify my spending that much money on any watch.

The only watch I have ever had compliments on are my Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk ( I absolutely love this watch! ) and believe it or not my " Navitimer " cheapie I paid $35 for from Michelle at Silix. Just be yourself and if someone asks if your Omega is real. Tell them the truth. Hell Yeah it's real. LOL!