Sign in to follow this  
WisconsinDancer59

IWC portuguese chrono

WisconsinDancer59

Hey guys. I recently ordered an IWC portuguese chrono with an a7750 movemen at silix. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I know that there have been a lot of problems with the movement due to the running seconds on 6. I wanted to ask if anyone recently had bad experiences with one of those beauties or if the "improved" movement really made it better.

Hoping on good news...

Prancuzas

If you are registered at other forums you can find threads containing information that new improved version (added jewells) was not an improvement afterall.

Although it's said that newer versions seems to be a lil bit more reliable (as chinese did some manufacturing labour improvements for those modified 7750).

I have read about that watch lately and come-up with these statements:

1. If you really want that rep - buy it. If you doubt it - use the money for other more reliablew rep.

2. So if it's bought - I would recommend bringing your brand new watch to local watchsmith for service (lots of possibilities for factories dust, garbage and assemble imperfection).

3. Hack the movement (pull out the crown) when not used.

4. Bring it to the watchsmith for another service after 12months even though the watch would be still running fine.

Good luck with that beautiful watch! ;)

Edited by Prancuzas

WisconsinDancer59

If you are registered at other forums you can find threads containing information that new improved version (added jewells) was not an improvement afterall.

Although it's said that newer versions seems to be a lil bit more reliable (as chinese did some manufacturing labour improvements for those modified 7750).

I have read about that watch lately and come-up with these statements:

1. If you really want that rep - buy it. If you doubt it - use the money for other more reliablew rep.

2. So if it's bought - I would recommend bringing your brand new watch to local watchsmith for service (lots of possibilities for factories dust, garbage and assemble imperfection).

3. Hack the movement (pull out the crown) when not used.

4. Bring it to the watchsmith for another service after 12months even though the watch would be still running fine.

Good luck with that beautiful watch! ;)

Thanks a lot man.

I wanted it so badly, i bought it :) So what exactly has the local watchsmith to do? just clean the organs, or what? no graphitecoating or stuff like that?

Is there something i have to consider hacking the movement? like not between quarter to and quarter past the hour?

jacobarch

generally when they service it they will do some type of graphite lube service to it. Depending on where you are you (if in the US) you can send it to CLS. He'll service it for you. If you have a local watch smith that doesnt mind working on reps send it to him if he's cheap enough.

WisconsinDancer59

generally when they service it they will do some type of graphite lube service to it. Depending on where you are you (if in the US) you can send it to CLS. He'll service it for you. If you have a local watch smith that doesnt mind working on reps send it to him if he's cheap enough.

I don't know ANY watchsmith, not to mention one that is cheap AND doesn't mind working on "slightly different to gens"-watches... So if Anyone can help me... I'm sure i could find it somewhere on this forum, but my time is very limited at the moment, cause i'm in the middle of my exams :/

Edited by WisconsinDancer59

Silverspeed

The IWC Portuguese Chronograph is a very pretty watch....unfortunately the rep, due to it's movement is still a ticking time bomb. From what I heard the modified A7750 in the Portuguese is even worse then the one in the Daytona. There are a few dealers that won't sell them anymore because of the high failure rate.

Since you already ordered it my advice is: see how it runs when you receive it. If it has a good power reserve (over 24 hours) and the seconds hand is running smoothly I wouldn't send it away for service.

If you do want it to send out to be serviced be sure to send it to someone who has worked on A7750's before. The A7750's especially the modified ones can be very tricky to work on...they're often very poorly assembled, movement is often very dry. And in case of the IWC Portuguese the chrono hands easily break. Another reason to send it to someone who experience on these A7750 is that in case something goes wrong spare parts are very, very hard if not impossible to get.

I have more faith in a properly serviced and assembled A7750 sec@6 then a graphite treated A7750. If the graphite is not properly applied it will cause even more problems.

Prancuzas

I think there's a guy Domenico in Germany that does good servicing, he's trusted somewhere around other forums (RWI).

http://www.replica-w...corner-184.html

Edited by Prancuzas

WisconsinDancer59

I think there's a guy Domenico in Germany that does good servicing, he's trusted somewhere around other forums (RWI).

http://www.replica-w...corner-184.html

great thanks. in case it doesn't run smoothly, i'll contact that gentleman.

MaN

IMG_9791.JPG

This is from Silix-Prime and it came yesterday.

Edited by MaN

Member X

file://localhost/Users/mattinysten/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2012/09/03/20120903-185622/KWZpkwD1Rem0fS40y1ijTw/IMAG1992.jpg

You will have to upload your photograph onto a photo hosting site as none of us can see what is on your computer ;):)

Cyril_Clunge

You will have to upload your photograph onto a photo hosting site as none of us can see what is on your computer ;):)

That's what you think! You are a very bad man.

:rofl:

bluesme519

IMG_9791.JPG

is this economy or high-quality?

jotun0881

Spectacular watch ! How has it held up since September when you bought it ?

MaN

IMG_9791.JPG

is this economy or high-quality?

Highquality.

Wriggles

How is it running? Do you use it often? Really really love this but been reading so much about the A7750 mvnt with secs@6 giving up the ghost reasonably quickly that it's pushing me towards the quartz model and I really don't want to have to do that....

Your experience of it would be appreciated

dga66

Hi, everyone. I'm REALLY new to this fascinating world and have plunged a bit hastily into a purchase: http://www.tswatchltd.com/14233-14233.html It hasn't arrived yet, but after scouring the forums, I'm wondering if this latest iteration (V.3) of the movement might be any more reliable than those in the past? I'm debating whether to simply return the watch unopened or to gamble. The essence of what I have read seems to indicate that the 7750 movement has a short life and problems even getting to that point! Anyone have any experience and/or knowledge of the so-called newer movement? Many thanks!

rete

It is said the only long-term solution to the secs @ 6 A7750 reliability is a trip to watchsmith/modder Domi in Germany where he installs 3 new jewels for the vulnerable transfer gears (at a cost approaching ~ €300).

A short term solution is to hack the movement whenever you are not wearing it (i.e. pull the crown all the way out; movement stops completely).

Prancuzas

As far as I've heard Domi is not offering 3 jewel mod anymore ;)

bdaniel2

im also order that watch ... were can i fix it ? im from israel ?

i mean to add another Jewel

cisco90

I have had a port for about half a year and it is working just fine. I try not to wear / wind the watch often due to this known defect