Sign in to follow this  
Drhulee

PAM Movement Quiz

Fiddo

I was close on some. Some I just couldn't tell. I still think "I" is a gen movement......

Thanks posting this Dru.....was interesting and educational.

dingle
I was close on some. Some I just couldn't tell. I still think "I" is a gen movement......

Thanks posting this Dru.....was interesting and educational.

+1

thanks Fiddo for the help yesterday.

Member X

I think this just illustrates that, really, reps and gens are so close in some respects as to be barely distinguishable to all but the most highly trained eye.

How does Panerai justify the massive prices they do for their movements when they're virtually identical to a $30 rep movement? I would lay money on the fact that, if you could do it, you could put a rep movement in a gen PAM and the owner would probably never notice.

dingle
I think this just illustrates that, really, reps and gens are so close in some respects as to be barely distinguishable to all but the most highly trained eye.

How does Panerai justify the massive prices they do for their movements when they're virtually identical to a $30 rep movement? I would lay money on the fact that, if you could do it, you could put a rep movement in a gen PAM and the owner would probably never notice.

agree! most of them would not have a clue

Drhulee

I think it demonstrates that manual wind Panerais are the perfect watch to rep, as a good one will likely satisfy any urge to blow money on a genuine one, since you will be quite happy with your rep :irish_dance: I can definitely afford any genuine PAM, but given what I've learned on this and other forums in the past few months, I know I will be much happier just spending the money on reps. Especially as I don't do any diving or other activities that actually require my watch keep working when subjected to extreme conditions, and the likelihood of anyone "calling me out" is practically nil.

10:10 Watch Repair

I think it demonstrates that manual wind Panerais are the perfect watch to rep, as a good one will likely satisfy any urge to blow money on a genuine one, since you will be quite happy with your rep :lol: I can definitely afford any genuine PAM, but given what I've learned on this and other forums in the past few months, I know I will be much happier just spending the money on reps. Especially as I don't do any diving or other activities that actually require my watch keep working when subjected to extreme conditions, and the likelihood of anyone "calling me out" is practically nil.

I was pretty disappointed when I bought a 111. I was hoping it would look and feel substantially different than a rep, but it's hard to tell the difference. A macro lens shows far more that you can ever see in person.

Drhulee
I was pretty disappointed when I bought a 111. I was hoping it would look and feel substantially different than a rep, but it's hard to tell the difference. A macro lens shows far more that you can ever see in person.

The dreaded macro lens. I'm sure it has been the cause of many an enthusiasts sleepless nights. :lol:

Drhulee

Just a follow-up. I used to think another tell of a rep movement, was the lack of a decorated base plate (the round "swirls" found on a lot of movements and inner case backs). But I took a close look at my DSN 172 and noticed that his Swiss 6497 base plate has the decorations....