Sign in to follow this  
UmpaHimself

WI PO Movement Issues?

UmpaHimself

Hey guys,

I received my Tag & PO from Rochest yesterday. I was having a very hard time removing the PO's pins from the band so I wore the Tag all day. When I got home late last night I started inspecting the PO, still not able to remove the pins. Then I noticed it was sort of tough to get the watch wound. I realized that it would only start moving if the rotor was spun in the correct circular motion.

After the second hand started sweeping I played with the lume. When I turned the light back on, I realized the watch had stopped again (probably from not being wound enough). So I again spun it once, it started moving. Then I spun it again to charge it a bit more and the seconds hand would stop until the rotor slowed down. Is that normal for this movement? Then I manually wound it with the crown a bit which worked fine. It seemed a bit weird that while I was screwing the crown down I was still winding the movement. Is that also normal?

It just seems like it's not running like the other autos I'm used to and I was just curious if that is normal for this kind of movement or if I should consider sending it back?

UmpaHimself

BTW this is the 42mm A4813 movement.

scorpion

One of mine with a cheap A21J does same when screwing crown down, feels weird but it lasted over a year now. Sure someone else here will be able to give info on your movement.

Rav747

Honestly, with the POs i would try and avoid turning the crown(reg 21js dont have this prob, i think) but a modified/clone/swiss do. Its been known to strip, so i would set the time and date and just do a gentle wiggle and wear it. If need be, get a single winder from amazon for 30 bucks.

Crusader

My 21j SMP does the same thing, while screwing down the crown you can hear the movement winding.

But I didn't totally understand what did you mean by your issue. I think you just have to wind it more, that's it :)

UmpaHimself

Basically it seems like it's not charging unless I spin it just right. I guess I'll try to size it, wear it and see whats up. I just wanted some input before I sized it to see if I should send it back immediately.

Crusader

It really depends on a movement... some start off with just light twist and some you have to spin few times.

RichardMiami

Give it time (pun intended). The thing many people don't realize about automatics is that the more you wear them, the better they work. And they all need a little break in time.

My advice - wear the PO for a few days in a row and see how it behaves. Don't get crazy and pull out the crown (or anything else) and play with it every two minutes. If after that, it is still giving you an issue, then you can be concerned.

DFH

Give it time (pun intended). The thing many people don't realize about automatics is that the more you wear them, the better they work. And they all need a little break in time.

My advice - wear the PO for a few days in a row and see how it behaves. Don't get crazy and pull out the crown (or anything else) and play with it every two minutes. If after that, it is still giving you an issue, then you can be concerned.

+1

Great advice here...

Just let the dealer know that you may have an issue, but you are going to give it a few days to see if it works itself out....

That way if it does end up being a problem - they were already advised and the communication is still going on....

dalboy

I had a similar problem with a PO a year or so ago seemed like the more i wore it the better it got. maybe thats not the case for you but you have nothing to lose, Richards advice is sound, try it. it may work out for you.

Good luck with it mate

Dal.....

ShiroTenshi

My clone mvt po also wind while screwing down.

Mvt seems a bit hard to wind, but it gets better after some time.

Same advice as above, wear it for a few days, and then review the watch condition.

James.

i had the same issue with one of the prohunters. It wouldnt wind well on the wrist because the rotor wasnt winding properly.

So, I just opened it up, couldnt see anything wrong i/e. loose or too tight, so I removed the rotor and it's now a hand wind movement :) works perfectly, quiet and has about 48 hour reserve after 20 turns of the crown. I dont know if it's work on the A4813 though.

10:10 Watch Repair

i had the same issue with one of the prohunters. It wouldnt wind well on the wrist because the rotor wasnt winding properly.

So, I just opened it up, couldnt see anything wrong i/e. loose or too tight, so I removed the rotor and it's now a hand wind movement :) works perfectly, quiet and has about 48 hour reserve after 20 turns of the crown. I dont know if it's work on the A4813 though.

Basically the same movement.

James.

sweet as CLS, there you go umpa, worse come to it, take off the rotor. the sweep will be the same, it'll just be hand wound.

UmpaHimself

Except I don't need to remove the rotor to hand wind it. Also it's brand new so if its not working right I'd like a exchange/refund.

UmpaHimself

Also, it's seemed to be running decent while worn

the auto winding on these is impossible. One bridge handles the auto winding, and the whole trainweel and escape wheel as well as housing the click spring.

Probably something bent during assembly.

UmpaHimself
the auto winding on these is impossible. One bridge handles the auto winding, and the whole trainweel and escape wheel as well as housing the click spring.

I know almost nothing about movements cls. How can I tell if that's the case?

I know almost nothing about movements cls. How can I tell if that's the case?

Given that admission, you can't.

You would have to remove parts and inspect.

It's a cheap replacement though.

ShiroTenshi

Just FYI, and IIRC, the 4813 are harder to kick start due to some extra gears to make it run at 28800bhp. But once it starts its fine.

mrs1986

I get one yesterday, i just wound it, and start to wear it... Running perfect...

It was pretty hard to wind, i dint force it but was a little stiff, it was stiff to put it in time and to change the date too...

UmpaHimself

Just FYI, and IIRC, the 4813 are harder to kick start due to some extra gears to make it run at 28800bhp. But once it starts its fine.

Seems from what others are saying this is the case. It's going pretty strong now. If it's still ticking in the AM I think I'll be fine.

HeavyKrush

Umpa, sorry to hear about your troubles. Wear the thing for a couple days and post back.

HeavyKrush

Oh, and how about some pics.