Sign in to follow this  
B5GLX

If not now, when? (a.k.a. My mid-life was expensive)

B5GLX

I've been on the forum for a few weeks now but have not made an introduction. Better late than never! :)

I picked up my first rep from a TD today, but it arrived DOA and my excitement quickly diminished. I know it happens and I am in contact with the TD, so I'm not worried. It's just anti-climatic after all the expectations that I had built up.

Anyway, I've always had a thing for watches, but mostly for gens: Seiko, Swatch, Casio, and Citizen because that's what I can afford. A number of years ago I went through a rough time that I helped myself get out of by getting a motorcycle license and buying this:

722904667_49835609a4.jpg

Burgman in HDR by istargazer, on Flickr

That Burgman was blast to ride, but I still wasn't satisfied so I bought this:

2411755035_c8a65f611c.jpg

Wet Chalk by istargazer, on Flickr

That was fine and dandy, too, but I felt I was still fighting against something I couldn't win: my mortality :blink: . While in Washington, DC, I went into an AD in Crystal City and on an impulse I bought this which I wear almost daily:

1769927244_67a2e0637f.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Professional by istargazer, on Flickr

The Speedmaster has special meaning for me because of my fascination with space and astronomy. My father actually named me "Apollo" before he had it legally changed when I was three. I made a secret vow to myself that the Speedmaster I bought would be for my first born male heir. I didn't know who that would be at that time, but since then I've had a son and I can't wait until he's old enough for me to give it to him.

Thankfully, that stage of my life is over although the impulsive overspending can still be a bit of a problem. I've had my eyes on a gen Daytona for years, but there's no way I'll be able to get that past my wife--LOL.

I wanted a watch that I can call my own so I began my search for reps. At first, I was taken in by the watchesbyjames site. I was almost ready to fall for "iparadisiac" but decided to do more research and luckily I found this forum--thank goodness!

KeNnY

Love that Moon watch ! I say also, if I would buy a gen it would be a Moonie ! :)

Uh and WELCOME ! :) Enjoy it here ! :)

g.man

Great introduction mate. Welcome to the nuthouse.

regards

g.man

Diego_UK

Awesome post, and if it were me, I'd change my name back to Apollo. That's the kind of name that gets panties dropping. lol

Beautiful Speedmaster as well, I'm sure your son will love it!

Member X

Welcome!

When I have my mid-life crisis, I hope I do it as well as you :lol: lol

robznet

Nice intro new brother! Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup2:

jeffw69

Welcome awesome man!

DFH

Welcome! Always loved the moon watch myself - great introduction and have fun with your new friends here!

1littlegreen

Glad you made it. Good to see you here

B5GLX

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm really glad I found this forum because I like the atmosphere here and the wealth of knowledge available. I'm excited to be able to expand my love of watches with the many beautiful reps I've seen. The hardest part is choosing which one to get next!

I was so excited about receiving my rep today that I bought a DIY light box setup to take pics. Now I'll have to wait until everything gets sorted out, but I took this sample shot with my iphone last night to test the setup:

acdac3ab-e43d-a066.jpg

I can't stop thinking about reps--LOL :D

jeffw69
:borg:

Dendo

Welcome

the moonwatch is great mate - I see there is one over at RG for $2400

Anyway you will fit in perfectly here - it will be good for you - we all work together to dissuade each other from making impulsive buys and getting hooked on buying too many watches. None of us have any more than two watches at any one time and we are all very careful with our money and spend most of it on shoes and jewelry for the women in our lives.

:lol:

Mazz

Welcome aboard mate

Be sure to visit the museum

greg_r

Wonderful choice of gen, mate - a true classic.

Welcome to the asylum :D

Member X

Anyway you will fit in perfectly here - it will be good for you - we all work together to dissuade each other from making impulsive buys and getting hooked on buying too many watches. None of us have any more than two watches at any one time and we are all very careful with our money and spend most of it on shoes and jewelry for the women in our lives.

:rofl:

ath

Welcome

the moonwatch is great mate - I see there is one over at RG for $2400

Anyway you will fit in perfectly here - it will be good for you - we all work together to dissuade each other from making impulsive buys and getting hooked on buying too many watches. None of us have any more than two watches on the same wrist at any one time and we are all very careful with our money and spend most of it on shoes and jewelry for the women in our lives.

Me thinks this is more accurate... :giggle:

trailboss99

Welcome, moonie is high on my list for a mid range gen as well.

Just need to stop buying reps and lower priced gens for a while :D

Amit

Great intro and as other have said brilliant choice on acquiring a classic gen.

Welcome.