Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Omega Seamaster Chrono Vs. Tag Link Chronograph

trailboss99

150103-14901.jpg

Originally I was going to make a typical, standard review of the Omega Seamaster Chronograph, but since chrgod already made a remarkable overview of his chrono and standard SMP I decided to do something else.

Lots of members have been asking whether they should get the TAG or Omega, referring to these two models. I think it's safe to say that these two watches are among the best 5 replicas that got released in 2006. Both have the same (new Asian 28.800) movement and the original 12-9-6 7750 subdial arrangement with perfect spacing... so I guess they're natural competitors also on the replica fields.

There has been many comparative reviews at the places like TZ. And I never did one myself, and it sounded fun. So why not? Let's place these two best replica sports chronograph side-by-side.

Both of these watches have excellent non-chronograph rep versions. While the SMP has always been a huge seller and "RWG Evergreen classic" the standard TAG Link has been going virtually unnoticeable. Wonder why, since the rep of non-chrono version is very good. Of course it's a newer model, but it has been completely overshadowed by the chronograph version. (TAG pic by Joshua).

150103-14902.jpg

The Seamaster Chronograph surfaced a while ago. The community literally begged the factories to do this watch and they really answered the bell this time. The replica is nothing short of excellent, no question about it.

150103-14903.jpg

TAG Link Chronograph is a bit older model, and it came out in the summer. It was so good that it literally "robbed the bank". While TAG isn't as popular "WIS brand" as Omega, Rolex or Breitling the members have been buying this watch like hotcakes. It has been among the top-10 bestsellers in Andrew's and Joshua's rankings all through the second half of 2006.

I wrote a detailed review of the TAG in August, 2nd. You can read the review HERE.

hhh2.jpg

1. OVERALL ACCURACY IN OUT-OF-THE BOX CONDITION:

Seamaster has the typical flaw: misaligned bezel. In theory this is very easy fix. In practice it was much tougher than on the standard SMP. The bezel is very tightly attached to the case, and I couldn't take the bezel off without using extreme violence. So I decided to deal with the alignment later. The pearl isn't perfect, either... although it's much improved from the previous versions.

TAG has only one problem: Too small date window and misaligned datefont. I find it hilarious that the problem is worse with some date numbers, while others look properly centered.

Easy to give the win to TAG here. It doesn't really require any modifications and it's remarkably accurate. It deserves 2 points from this category. It's totally beyond my comprehension why the factories always screw up the Omega Seamaster bezel. It's a small and fixable flaw, but extremely annoying.

WINNER: TAG Points: 2

2. DIAL:

Seamaster dial is outstanding. It has much improved wave pattern, very crispy and clean print and perfect date font. Actually the datewheel appears to be about 0.1mm too right in the window, but unlike TAG it's perfect on the Y-Axis. The hands, hour markers and pearl are luminous. The luminous abilities can't compare to the genuine but the watch has a good replica lume.

150103-14905.jpg

TAG dial is very good as well. The dial print is crisp and clean. The "electric wave pattern" on the middle must have been quite a challenge for the rep factories, but it has been replicated flawlessly. Very impressive.

Just like on the genuine watch only the hands are luminous. Unfortunately the rep has very weak lume on them. And as stated above the datewheel alignment problem is worse with some numbers. 13 is never anyone's lucky number.

150103-14906.jpg

Conclusion:

This is very close but Omega takes the win here. One of the best dials I've seen on a rep and the date alignment and luminova are better.

WINNER: OMEGA Points: 1

3. BRACELET & CLASP

Omega has the familiar Seamaster push-button clasp with diver's extension. Unlike the old standard SMP (and genuine) it uses screws instead of push-pin arrangement for resizing. Lots of members complain about this, but personally I find this method much more comfortable... and the "inaccuracy" doesn't bother me. Who the hell would check your watch bracelet pins to verify its authenticity?! But since it's not accurate we'll lower the points here by public demand. smile.gif SMP doesn't have micro adjustment on the clasp but it has half-links which makes quite easy to find a comfortable fit.

The "Bond" bracelet has brushed finish with polished stripes and it's been replicated very well. Quality is just as good as the "old SMP" bracelet. The clasp looks identical too, and the print is crispy.

150103-14907.jpg

TAG has the famous Link bracelet, and it has the best quality satin finish I've seen on any replica watch. The bracelet is perfect (at least by the rep standards). The resizing method is quite "original" but can be done easily with the right instructions. Download the pdf file HERE (You need to have the Acrobat reader installed). The micro adjustment (surrounded by red box) has two positions, but nobody has figured out how to adjust it yet.

tag_clasp.jpg

Conclusion:

These two are BOTH my favourite watch bracelets, but TAG still takes the cake here. The design is innovative and original, and as stated above the replication is superb. It's perfectly accurate, it even copies the original resizing method. Quite possibly the best quality rep bracelet there is.

WINNER: TAG Points: 1

4. AESTHETICS:

Seamaster Chronograph is not a "pretty" watch. Although the diameter is only the standard 41mm it feels a big watch. It's macho, thick and bulky bastard, very masculine. Personally the appearance of this watch is perfect for me. I have always loved the "Bond" SMP line, and Seamaster Chronograph has the looks of a extreme sports chronograph (which the genuine certainly is). The thickness of the case actually reminds me of the old hardcore Omega divers... and watches like Doxa. Suits perfectly for my large wrist.

The standard "Bond" Seamaster is thinner and more dressier. Actually it's Pierce Brosnan's favourite watch with a suit. smile.gif The chrono version is a pure sports watch.

150103-14909.jpg

TAG has larger diameter (42.5mm) but it feels much smaller watch. It's thinner, has more classic lines and it's WAY more dressy and elegant. It's kind of a watch that goes perfectly with a suit. Makers of "Queer Eye for the Staight Guy" might say that Seamaster is perfect only with a wet suit. laugh.gif

150103-14910.jpg

Conclusion:

Apples and oranges. Although the watches are technically very similar aesthetically they're very different. Like I said Omega is a hardcore sports chronograph and TAG is a "dressy chrono"... much like Navitimer, Broad Arrow and Daytona. And these things are always in the eye of the beholder... highly subjective.

WINNER: NONE Points 1-1

5. PRESTIGE FACTOR

We all know how Omega is the eternal favourite of all WIS forums. It's difficult to find WIS who don't respect the Omega brand. Horologically and historically Omega has the slight edge (even if we count the old Heuer). Even though Monaco and Carrera are classic and desirable models they don't compare to the reputation and legend of the Moon Watch.

These two particular genuines (Link and SMP Chrono) both use the same basic ETA 7750, but Omega also has some horologically impressive watches and innovations (like the new Co-Axial). TAG relies almost completely on the basic outhouse movements and most of its sales come from the quartz models.

Unlike old Heuer TAG is almost despised among the watch snobs, due to their large and unimpressive quartz line. But I've been through this many times: Because of heavy marketing (using mainly famous celebrities) TAG is very popular and perhaps more desirable among the young non-watch people. Seamaster Chronograph is an impressive watch but Link surely gets noticed too (if any watch ever does).

Still, I have to give the edge to Omega. TAG might be always trendy and fashionable, but Omega is probably the brand that people would rather connect to quality and old Swiss watchmaking traditions. If we take a comparison from the car world, in people's minds TAG is probably a sexy and attractive Alfa Romeo, while Omega is good, technically impressive and reliable Audi.

WINNER: OMEGA Points: 1

OVERALL WINNER: TAG Points 4-3

I think TAG takes the edge by very narrow margin here. Seamaster Chronograph is a remarkable replica watch, but it still has some minor (although fixable and almost unnoticeable) flaws. Despite the date window/font problem TAG is virtually perfect. It's possibly the best chronograph replica watch ever made.

Personally, if I had to choose just one I'd probably go for the Omega. I'm a big, tall man and I usually wear "sporty" wardrobe... so the thick, rugged appearance suits better for me. But then again I'm still on a honeymoon with the SMP (I just received it), so it might affect my judgment now. Ask me again next year and I might answer differently.

I'm really glad I own them both and don't have to make that decision. My best advice is to get them both while they're still available.

Thanks for viewing.

150103-14911.jpg

Posted on behalf of By-Tor by TB99.

warcelo

:P :monkeyspank::facepalm::banhamster: :banhamster: :banhamster:

Loonie

The micro adjustment (surrounded by red box) has two positions, but nobody has figured out how to adjust it yet. Also, it has three positions.

tag_clasp.jpg

There is a springbar in there, Pop it out using two link pushers in the holes either side of the adjustment.

Edited by Loonie

Nisv

The micro adjustment (surrounded by red box) has two positions, but nobody has figured out how to adjust it yet. Also, it has three positions.

tag_clasp.jpg

There is a springbar there, Pop it out using two link pushers in holes either side of the adjustment.

He's already sold his watch