Sign in to follow this  
gB.

Vac mods really that good for price?

gB.

I'll preface this thread that I've never used Vac for any mods, or bought a new watch from him that has had his "spa treatment" done. Maybe his work is the greatest thing in horological modern times, but he seems a bit pricey for what he offers, specifically for the new stock items given the "spa treatment".

I came across a sales thread on RWI that listed a new AP Diver V3 just received from Vac, and at ~$795 ask price, same as he bought it from Vac. Surely this must be the Swiss mov't version, right? Nope, Asian clone movement, but has had all the Vac "spa treatment" done. The clone movement version is sold by TDs around $350ish or so. So is Vac really charging a $450 premium for his mods on this? Someone in that thread tried to break it down for me and justify the premium, but it must just be the Monday fog because I just don't get it!

I guess it breaks down like this,

Base Watch + Shipping to Vac + 4% PP = 400

Lume = 150

WR treatment + Testing = 150

Movement Service = 150

Free Shipping

http://www.replica-w...t.php?p=1081745

1. TDs are selling these at $350ish, so over statement there, and I'm sure Vac can get these cheaper (customer didn't buy this then ship it to Vac, Vac supplies his own base watch stock)

2. By mov't service they mean open it up for QC check and drop a little lube on jewels if found dry? $150...?!?

3. Greasing the gaskets and pressure testing costs $150...? GTFO!

I know this is old news that Vac is usually overpriced for what he does or offers. But he does a lot of business across the forums and is highly regarded with his skills in the lume department. But the rest? And some members can actually post seriously a breakdown to justify the premium he is charging...?

GTFO.gif

:picard:

sconehead
:popcorn:

Serge D

Youve got a good point there, but i have tried other modders, no names, but theyre pretty known and established modders. Ended up paying vac again to redo AR from one modder, whose AR was of a green hue and rubbing off from shirt friction...

Your given example would be justified if he did AR xtal and cyclops. So far it seems well overpriced.

jeffw69

Fuck that shit! Asian clone for $795?

Cyril_Clunge

Careful, Vac isn't a trusted modded here, you'll only make Balad mad again! :D

jeffw69

Anyone have some :vdb: ???

onionbag

Angry surely? Mad?......That's stretching it a bit. :D

Serge D

Yep, what Jeff said :)

Id rather buy a new watch from a TD and do the mods i consider needed.

KeNnY

WR treatment + Testing = 150 - rofl

scorpion

YEP

1.mad.gif

gB.

The OP states that this one had Vac AR, but I still see the blue ting on the cyclops upper right corner like on my AP v3 straight from the dealer... :timmytwitch:

This has had the full Vac Spa treatment, AR, full dial, bezel, and hand relume, 10ATM tested

3c45b8ae.jpg

Mine...

365e23cd-1.jpg

These already come with incredible AR, and some slight blueish hue on the cyclops only. Maybe the Vac cyslops is slightly less blue AR, but the overall crystal AR is the same!

I don't get the Vac difference here...

Del

I share your point of view GBOGH - seems fairly pricey to me. And the difference in AR doesn't seem to be particularly obvious from the pics.

I know I paid a lot for my v2 direct from Uwe and maybe some folk would have questioned that at the time. It was listed at just over 500 Euros but Uwe gave me a small discount and I paid around 480 Euros delivered which would have equated back then to around $650 I think. But my Diver has a Swiss Selita movement not Asian. Plus, the v2 AR was not great (if it even had any?), it had no cyclops AR, and it had no bezel lume, and the crystal wasn't raised, and it needed waterprooing - all of which Uwe modified so I could see where the costs went. But for a v3 with all its improvements over a v2 I think some of these mods are unnecessary, never mind the cost of them.

grb

Maybe it's some seller stating that its Vacked, if we had some sort of Vac cination.

I have something that said it had been vac serviced, the second hand used to catch on the cyclops twice a day when all the hands gathered at 3 so twice a day it stopped.

Wiz unvaccinated it

Miracle

VAC MY BUM CHEEKS

Serge D

Maybe someone is trying to make profit on that watch. I held vac modded v2 vs v3 in my hands and the difference in AR coating pops right away, despite the awesome AR on v3 out of the box.

Dendo

AR and full oiling and servicing, if properly done and necessary, can cost.

WR + testing can not be $150 IMHO

gB.

Let me be clear. I'm not picking on the seller in that thread at all, as he is reselling what he paid for it since it is brand new. It's just this whole idea around Vac "spa treatment" on an otherwise ultimate rep (best I've seen in a long time), plus the premium price that's being placed on the suppose treatment is just absurd!

But while it was at the Vac spa, why didn't he press the crystal that's sticking up further on the left side...?

01c4b1c6.jpg

:facepalm:

Hope he at least got a reach around happy ending for the cost of that spa treatment, as it appears fuck all else was done well!

:popcorn:

Serge D

Yep, crystal doesnt sit right. And cyclops wasnt ARed, i can also see the blue hue in the corner.

Something is not adding up here, either vac or seller needs to review the mods done to the watch and adjust the price accordingly.

gB.

Yep, crystal doesnt sit right. And cyclops wasnt ARed, i can also see the blue hue in the corner.

Something is not adding up here, either vac or seller needs to review the mods done to the watch and adjust the price accordingly.

But JC posted that I shouldn't muddy up the sales thread with my questions...

:lol:

Serge D

So JC gets his cut too? :-/

sconehead

Onze?

edit: wrong forum...:lol:

midasmook

I have used Vac in the past and the work he does is good but it is pricey.

powderfreak

:facepalm:

Rubbish, whoever pays that money for (non-existing?!) "mods" deserves to be fucked - just imo of course.

Member X

Relume and Service charges are roughly what I'd expect to pay elsewhere, but $150 for waterproofing is not that cheap...

I guess it's quite a bit of work because of the case construction??

jeffw69

But JC posted that I shouldn't muddy up the sales thread with my questions...

:lol:

Fuck JC!