Sign in to follow this  
gB.

Vac mods really that good for price?

jcagara08

:paddy_gold:

P4GTR

US based modding and servicing needs more competition. Who's left? I've tried to reach out to a few of the really good watchmakers in my area, but they are such strange birds.

FFS, @ $800 you're half way to well known, pre-owned Swiss pieces. I remember the days when we got genuine Swiss ETA reps for ~$300.

Who go's through all of that, only to turn around and sell the watch right away? Buyers remorse kicked in @ arrival?

gB.

Who go's through all of that, only to turn around and sell the watch right away? Buyers remorse kicked in @ arrival?

Exaaaaaaactly... I think the seller realized at arrival that he had grossly overpaid for what he received.

:facepalm:

jeffw69

Exaaaaaaactly... I think the seller realized at arrival that he had grossly overpaid for what he received.

:facepalm:

Yep, so why not pass it on to his fellow forum members?

It will sell on Repgeek. :lol:

emmune

I was just looking at that sales thread earlier today and was thinking the exact same thing.

NFleischer

US based modding and servicing needs more competition. Who's left? I've tried to reach out to a few of the really good watchmakers in my area, but they are such strange birds.

I agree with the OP. I noticed that crooked crystal in the original sales thread :facepalm:. I've also seen some vac relume in person and was less than impressed.

FFS, @ $800 you're half way to well known, pre-owned Swiss pieces. I remember the days when we got genuine Swiss ETA reps for ~$300.

Color me confused, too.

+100. These rep prices for Asian mov'ts are insane. GBOGH and I bought new Ebel Sportswaves for about that. 200M WR with new ETA.

I also bought a Tissot PRS Day/Date for $360- 100M WR Gen @2836-2. Sure, I realize this is not the state of the art in Swiss watchmaking, but for the $$- damn good deals.DSCN0151.jpg

Muaitai

Another option if you are in US is Pbdad or CLS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ThinkBachs

I've found him to be a cocky/arrogant SOB. His pricing is ridiculous, mostly because he had little competition. Now we have some excellent lumers and watchsmiths making him sooooooooo much less relevant. I'll have to do a search to find an example, but not all of his work is really that impressive.

greg_r

Another option if you are in US is Pbdad or CLS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frankly, I have more issues with pbdad's frequently shoddy workmanship than I do with Vac...

CLS does VERY good work, though - which is why he's trusted here... :D

Serge D

+1 for PBdads reputation going downhill a bit. Got credited for last mods by him.

Wiz

Yep, crystal doesnt sit right. And cyclops wasnt ARed, i can also see the blue hue in the corner.

Something is not adding up here, either vac or seller needs to review the mods done to the watch and adjust the price accordingly.

But JC posted that I shouldn't muddy up the sales thread with my questions...

:lol:

Fuck JC!

Mate, this is just my opinion, but your attitude since the rep sunglasses thread has been very disapointing. I don't know if you're having a rough time or anything, but i didn't expected such a bad behaviour from you. :(

Wiz

As for Vac's work, $150 is indeed expensive for a waterproofing, but before judging I suggest you guys try to waterproof that watch. It's not at all about just "greasing the gaskets", like I read...

The whole watch is a pain in the ass to work on, so much that I don't even accept working on it. Modders who do just include in their prices how annoying it is to work on it, which is nothing but normal if you ask me.

I don't know Vac at all, I haven't even spoke with him, so my opinion is purely about the work.

gB.
As for Vac's work, $150 is indeed expensive for a waterproofing, but before judging I suggest you guys try to waterproof that watch. It's not at all about just "greasing the gaskets", like I read...

The breakdown of the itemized services worth $450 premium was given by one member and not Vac himself, so hopefully $150 is not what Vac actually charges for that particular service on that particular watch. Someone was just trying too hard to justify the "spa treatment".

The primary point here though is that the $450 premium being charged for a clone AP Diver v3 with "spa treatment" is absolutely egregious. The factory AR on these is amazing as is but with a little blue hue on the cyclops. The Vac one doesn't look any better (still has blue hue in pic), plus crystal is not even pressed in on one side! Hard to tell from the posted pic if lume is actually much better or brighter super lume than factory. Waterproofing and movement services don't make up the remaining value. Seems to be questionable the services done, or a misunderstanding by the buyer what Vac was actually including.

:)

Ollifl

450.00 extra cost on a $350.00 watch is just waste of money unless, you're making a horological piece of art, i.e. vintage Pam out of a new one (just an example)...

I had a years full of frustration written on a one page article why you shouldn't spend more money to mod your watch than you originally paid for the watch, illustrated with pictures of titties and pie charts but then I figured nah, I've been away too long so I'll just make my first post count.

Dendo

450.00 extra cost on a $350.00 watch is just waste of money unless, you're making a horological piece of art, i.e. vintage Pam out of a new one (just an example)...

I had a years full of frustration written on a one page article why you shouldn't spend more money to mod your watch than you originally paid for the watch, illustrated with pictures of titties and pie charts but then I figured nah, I've been away too long so I'll just make my first post count.

Welcome back - short and to the point

1001st post by the way - congrats!!

Wiz

The breakdown of the itemized services worth $450 premium was given by one member and not Vac himself, so hopefully $150 is not what Vac actually charges for that particular service on that particular watch. Someone was just trying too hard to justify the "spa treatment".

The primary point here though is that the $450 premium being charged for a clone AP Diver v3 with "spa treatment" is absolutely egregious. The factory AR on these is amazing as is but with a little blue hue on the cyclops. The Vac one doesn't look any better (still has blue hue in pic), plus crystal is not even pressed in on one side! Hard to tell from the posted pic if lume is actually much better or brighter super lume than factory. Waterproofing and movement services don't make up the remaining value. Seems to be questionable what services were actually done, or a misunderstanding by the buyer what Vac was actually including.

Seller included this:

vac_convo.jpg

In that conversation Vac says $795 for the watch + AR (crystal only, not the cyclop) + lume (hands and bezel) + movement service + WR.

Buyer agreed on the price, so as far as I'm concerned I don't see where there could be a problem. Whether that's expensive or not depends on how much a certain person is ready to pay, and if the buyer thought it was worth it, I don't see anything to say about it.

If you're implying Vac didn't do some of the work he said he did, that's a whole different story, and some pretty serious accusation toward someone who has been considered one of the best modder in the rep dom, and this before you (or me) even found the foras.

Do you have any proof for saying something that serious?

mianos

I would also say there is another reason to factor into the price: the turnaround time. How long has this rep been been out for? Two months. You would be hard pressed to get a crystal AR, relume, wr and service from anyone else, particularly from a known good modder, without waiting longer. AR turnaround is not short. Basically if you want a super premium version of one of the reps of the year to wear tomorrow that is the price you can pay. If you don't care much about the extra money it is a good watch.

gB.

If you're implying Vac didn't do some of the work he said he did, that's a whole different story, and some pretty serious accusation toward someone who has been considered one of the best modder in the rep dom, and this before you (or me) even found the foras.

Well I see our history and your insistent dislike of me hasn't changed, but at least your TD status has given you some maturity and you're not jumping to your usual internet tough guy responses to me as in the past, such as "get on a plane and come here to tell me that" type of attitude. :facepalm:

But I don't need to imply anything, the pics speak for themselves. The "spa treatment' premium is a joke, regardless of what was said was done or understood as done. The sapphire AR on these from the factory are amazing, I have posted pics of mine that show it is colorless and looks as if no crystal is even there, so why it needs AR redone is rather confusing! The lume pic is inconclusive if it's actually any improvement to the factory stock, doesn't look that bright. And the crystal is not even pressed in on one side, which is a classic flaw that rep factories do quite often. The premiums on these don't seem to match up to the work, but like you stated the buyer was happy to pay it and that's all that matters. There are always gullible folks in repdom to pay based on past history reputation, but maybe in this instance Vac's premium is based on his past history and not on the merits of this particular piece and work!

Wiz

Well I see our history and your insistent dislike of me hasn't changed, but at least your TD status has given you some maturity and you're not jumping to your usual internet tough guy responses to me as in the past, such as "get on a plane and come here to tell me that" type of attitude. :facepalm:

But I don't need to imply anything, the pics speak for themselves. The "spa treatment' premium is a joke, regardless of what was said was done or understood as done. The sapphire AR on these from the factory are amazing, I have posted pics of mine that show it is colorless and looks as if no crystal is even there, so why it needs AR redone is rather confusing! The lume pic is inconclusive if it's actually any improvement to the factory stock, doesn't look that bright. And the crystal is not even pressed in on one side, which is a classic flaw that rep factories do quite often. The premiums on these don't seem to match up to the work, but like you stated the buyer was happy to pay it and that's all that matters. There are always gullible folks in repdom to pay based on past history reputation, but maybe in this instance Vac's premium is based on his past history and not on the merits of this particular piece and work!

By "our history" you must be refering to the fact that I think you're a blatant idiot. Please let me reassure you, this hasn't changed with my TD status.

That said, I have to recognize that you now write sentences of more than 5 words, which is a major improvement compared to when you joined.

Juding the AR from the few pics posted is nearly impossible, same for the lume. The badly pressed crystal could be a simple mistake, shit happens sometimes, and from what I read about the guy, I'm sure he would fix that if he was adressed the issue.

Making a statement that someone is using his past reputation to offer shitty services at premium prices is a very serious accusation, and the fact that you're basing this accusation on one single case can only show how irrelevant (read stupid) this accusation is.

Who exactly do you think you are to judge someone else's work based on a handfull of pic? I do this all day long and even I can't judge the work based on so little pics. Your comments could hurt the reputation of someone that has been good for this community, possibily for no reason, and you're here taking all this very lightly, like it's nothing.

Trolling can be fun at times, here it's just being mean for no reason.

I now hope Vac will chime in, you deserve to be answered by a native English speaker. English is my third langage, and I don't always find the words to say things the way I would like to.

I'm now putting you back on ignore list, cheeers buddy, you're a star.

gB.

By "our history" you must be refering to the fact that I think you're a blatant idiot. Please let me reassure you, this hasn't changed with my TD status.

That said, I have to recognize that you now write sentences of more than 5 words, which is a major improvement compared to when you joined.

Juding the AR from the few pics posted is nearly impossible, same for the lume. The badly pressed crystal could be a simple mistake, shit happens sometimes, and from what I read about the guy, I'm sure he would fix that if he was adressed the issue.

Making a statement that someone is using his past reputation to offer shitty services at premium prices is a very serious accusation, and the fact that you're basing this accusation on one single case can only show how irrelevant (read stupid) this accusation is.

Who exactly do you think you are to judge someone else's work based on a handfull of pic? I do this all day long and even I can't judge the work based on so little pics. Your comments could hurt the reputation of someone that has been good for this community, possibily for no reason, and you're here taking all this very lightly, like it's nothing.

Trolling can be fun at times, here it's just being mean for no reason.

I now hope Vac will chime in, you deserve to be answered by a native English speaker. English is my third langage, and I don't always find the words to say things the way I would like to.

I'm now putting you back on ignore list, cheeers buddy, you're a star.

Your opinions certainly haven’t changed, no matter how misguided they are, but it is true that your TD status has toned down your internet tough guy attitude some and increased your perceived maturity level to some degree. But your responses here clearly show that behind that TD persona that you are still an immature sphincter that needs to develop further. Name calling is unbecoming of you as a respected TD on this forum.

But the evidence speaks for itself in this thread and Vac prices for new items with "spa treatment" in general, and I’m apparently not the only one who sees it. Check the previous couple pages of other members posting similar observations. I understand maybe you want to keep your blinders on and not see it as a fellow modder that provides great work at value prices, and think that other contributors elsewhere do the same. But there is no willful trolling to hurt someone on my part, only facts to highlight a current perception that is out there in repdom that Vac mods are the best and worth the premium, and specifically on new stock items like this case. Are they though? I’m sorry if this comes as a blow to your modding idol, but I do not see how these actions can be good for this community. If it was so good for the rep community, why isn’t Vac a TD here on RWG?

Please stick to your talents as a watchsmith and modder rather than picking internet fights with others based solely on personal agendas without merit. Btw, I appreciate you adding me to your ignore list, but let’s be honest, we all know you will click the read ignored post option to see what I have written after your immature name calling post. It’s ok, we understand you can't help yourself given your true nature.

Hard to tell, but based on your responses maybe you aspire to one day be able to over charge for your services in repdom like Vac, and then we’ll see pics of you living it up in the French Riveria with Luth at the next GTG. In the meantime, try not to let your true colors shine through like in this thread. ;)

Cheers Etinne. See you around at the next Luth GTG. Maybe it will be in the French Riveria if business is good.

ADMIN EDIT, MEMBER DID NOT WISH TO HAVE HIS PICTURE PUBLISHED IN THIS THREAD. (HWG)

HWG
:derailed:

Rav747

So.. how's everyone doing this fine day? ;)

Wiz

Take that pic off right now.

midasmook

If that is a pic of another member then this is totally out of order.