Sign in to follow this  
alfo982

Movement for a Rolex Daytona?

alfo982

Hi guys, as usual... like a perfect noob, I'm going to ask you a very standard and easy question (for you, not for me :monkeyspank: ).

I want to buy a Rolex Daytona, but I don't know which movement to ask...

On the market (and I meen on mary's market...) is there only an asiatic clone movement...? or can I ask for a good swiss movement (like a ETA for the Rolex Sub... that I already bought).

Sorry if this question seems to be stupid, but I have not clear ideas about the chronographic movements mountable on rep watches!

Thanks in advice for your help...

KinCaidk

If I were you, being a noob and all. I would get a Daytona with faux chronos and a 21j movement.

The chronograph movements (A7750 secs@6) used in most of the daytonas has some mods that makes them very unstable (except for the secs@9 that Robert has)

dingle

Listen to kinky about the sec@6. I am a noob too, but this seems to be the common factor on all watch boards. Good luck!

trailboss99

As has been said, there is a big problem wit the daytona, the MVT sucks!

The Daytona MVt is a modified A7750 (the Asian clone of the 7750). The A7750 is not a bad MVT but to make it work in a sec@6 'tona they needed to transfer the sec output from it's native position at 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock. The gear train that achives this is a POS and puts a lot of extra strain on the MVT. One of these can last anywhere between a few hours or a year or two.

The answer is to get a sec@9 daytona such as a vintage model. You will have to ask one of the 'tona fans here which models are sec@9 but there is a choice. If you do want a sec@6 with working chronos it must be serviced imediatly and the graphite lube mod applied to the gear train. Not many rep 'smiths will even touch one how ever.

To understand what all thgis is about read THIS thread on the sec@6 MVT and THIS one on the sec@3.

All will then be clear and you can make up your own mind.

Col.

Member X

It should be noted that avitt on RWG2 has recently done some DLC treatment on the baseplates(?) of the transfer gears on the Seconds at 6 model, which along with the graphite treatment should cure the issues of friction killing the movement :irish_dance:

It is going to cost £££ to get done though as you have to get the movment out of the watch, strip the movement down and get it sent off (in either order), get the DLC applied, get the graphite treatment done, then get it rebuilt/sent back/reinstalled.

Easy if you're skilled but not so if you're a n00b!

As above, for ease of use keep it simple with faux chrono dials or a vintage seconds at 9 version :irish_dance:

alfo982
As has been said, there is a big problem wit the daytona, the MVT sucks!

The Daytona MVt is a modified A7750 (the Asian clone of the 7750). The A7750 is not a bad MVT but to make it work in a sec@6 'tona they needed to transfer the sec output from it's native position at 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock. The gear train that achives this is a POS and puts a lot of extra strain on the MVT. One of these can last anywhere between a few hours or a year or two.

The answer is to get a sec@9 daytona such as a vintage model. You will have to ask one of the 'tona fans here which models are sec@9 but there is a choice. If you do want a sec@6 with working chronos it must be serviced imediatly and the graphite lube mod applied to the gear train. Not many rep 'smiths will even touch one how ever.

To understand what all thgis is about read THIS thread on the sec@6 MVT and THIS one on the sec@3.

All will then be clear and you can make up your own mind.

Col.

mmmhhh... I'm reassessing the idea to buy right this model!

AllergyDoc

If you do pick one up, consider getting it from Lawrence. He says he warranties his "Swiss" watches for 18 months. (A Daytona should be considered "Swiss," but I would clarify that with him first.)

alfo982

OK, I've taken my decision (the night is always good for this kind of things...)!

I'm already negotiating with Mary: therefore I ask her if she has a Daytona with sec @9.

Otherwise I will go with Robert: you confirmed me that he has this kind of stuffs!

Honestly I don’t know how a ‘tona sec@9 looks like. Those of you that know this model, could post a couple of photos (or links…)?

Thank you so much guys!!!

Al

Silverspeed

No idea if Robert still has these but here ya go

ResizeWizard-14-1.jpg

and the "Vintage" version also from PWC

ResizeWizard-64.jpg

alfo982

OK, I don't like pretty much the vintage model!

I’m going to take the first model (the white one…), if I find it :)

Just out of curiosity... does the model of daytona with sec @9 exist only in the rep world (to meet the need of the A7750 mvt) or is available also on the market of originals? (sorry if I’ve just said a blasphemy…)

OK, now I wait for an answer of Mary… and then we will see…

I’ll keep you informed :)

Silverspeed

As far as I know there never was a "modern" gen daytona with the running secs at 9...hence the modified A7750 movement to get the secs running at 6. Let us know how this works out...these daytona's with secs@9 are hard to find I believe

prestigewatchco

All daytona were seconds at 9 until the year 2000 . They used to use a Zenith movement but for year 2001 Rolex started using an in house movement with seconds at 6

trailboss99

As PWC says. That leaves plenty of choices. How about a Paul Newman white dial? Got some pics of a PN and some other nicer pre 2000 ones anyone?

Col.

dingle

I vote for the black dial non vintage one.

greg_r

The vintage 'tonas are beautiful - would be my choice too...

alfo982
The vintage 'tonas are beautiful - would be my choice too...

ahahah, NO WAY... my father doesn't like it... and it must be a christmas gift for him...

Now I've contacted Robert in order to understand if the offer of the new 'tona model with sec @9 is still available...

waiting for an answer...

sconehead

Good luck alfo...:P

AllergyDoc

3292275236_f2b76bf1d7_o.jpg

3292238884_9647c3fb3d_o.jpg

Member X

I'm never sure about these but that one ^^^ looks ace :)

alfo982

I give up :rofl:

I didn't receive no answer from robert about the availability of the modified daytona with sec@9, and the vintage models, as already said: :rofl:

Therefore I completely changed model.

Now a rolex Yacht-master is already ordered and coming...

However I must thank you for the support that u gave me about the mvt A7750 mod and not mod!!!

As usual... u are fantastic :popcorn:

Edited by alfo982

Member X

Sorry you couldn't get an answer on the 7750 :popcorn: I know Robert's a busy man so he may not have had a chance to get to you.

Which YM did you order? I want one!

alfo982
Sorry you couldn't get an answer on the 7750 :rofl: I know Robert's a busy man so he may not have had a chance to get to you.

Which YM did you order? I want one!

When I receive the watch I post a couple of beautiful photos. Tomorrow Mary should send it to me.