Sign in to follow this  
chobbs

Hi! I'm a newbie. :)

chobbs

Stupid question, but what is full function chronograph?

chobbs

Ok so silly me forgot I could just type in full function chronograph in Google and get my answer. LOL So now my question is I don't know who to order from. There is only a $5 difference between the buyers.

UmpaHimself

All these guys are on point. The automatic movement is half the watch in my opinion. The fact that they can make a watch run, with multiple complications simply off your body's movement is really an amazing concept. You get automatic because that is what the watch is.

As far as dealers. The trusted dealers are that for a reason. You can find hundreds of sites online selling replicas. There is a reason why we only have a selected few here. I personally recommend Watch International or Toro who will give you personal feedback, quality control, and speedy delivery. You can't go wrong.

Just make sure that if you do get him an automatic you read up on movements, especially the 7750. You can find this material in my signature. Just abide by the rules and you should have a great watch on your hand.

so, chobbs -- the advice you got already about the difference in movements is correct. I agree with those who are advising you to the more expensive, sweeping movement. You and your husband might not care, but others who see the watch might.

In either case you will be fine, so if budget is an issue, go for the quartz.

Please note that some of the members here have gained internet access from inside an insane asylum, and are TOTALLY bonkers. They are not to be trusted.

Except me, I am safe. Really, I promise... my doctors may allow me to have pencils next week!!!

lol

fatarms

Ok so silly me forgot I could just type in full function chronograph in Google and get my answer. LOL So now my question is I don't know who to order from. There is only a $5 difference between the buyers.

MY birthday is in late November... do I know you? :P

Pick out a dealer that you feel comfortable with, I've gone with Marvellous, Watch International and Silix, Toro comes highly recommended as do just about any of our Trusted dealers. Email a couple, find out what shipping prices are, and go with who you feel best with. I usually use Watch International because they seem to have the best QC, they check over each watch before sending it out.

Luthier

Don't buy quartz, seriously...

HeavyKrush

Chobbs, as Luth say's do not buy quartz! If your husband is like 99.9% of the guys on this forum he will be much much happier with an automatic. Trust me on this please. Go for the auto. If it's out of your price range purchase something else... like a nice drill.

myaz

We are watch nuts, er, enthusiasts, therefore enjoy all things mechanical about watches. However, you or your husband might not be, you could easily be like the rest of the normal world. Therefore,

1) A quartz will run great and keep great time, actually a little more precisely than an automatic, and need a battery every year or two. The overwhelming majority of people don't know or care about the way the second hand sweeps on most expensive watches. Main drawback is that your husband could possibly end up being embarrassed in that extremely remote scenario where someone knows watches, asks him about his and your husband cares a lot about how he projects.

2) The automatic will end up needing more maintenance and will stop after a day or so if it is not worn. Then you have to reset it and rewind it. it will look virtually indistinguishable from a real one to all but a handful of persons that would need to scrutinize it after he takes the watch off his hand.

So if you just want a quickie watch, I'd go quartz, if he feels a love for watches, then automatic fer shore.

3) Chronograph means the top button starts and stops the second hand (right, means you can't tell it's a quartz if the second hand is stopped) the bottom button resets to 12:00

Don't worry about the $5 difference. You'll be glad you bought from a trusted dealer in the end, and your husband might come back for more if he bites...Good luck.

chobbs

Hubby wants an automatic. I emailed Toro I think it was earlier today and they don't have the watch he wants in stock, so it's between Marvellous and Watch International and there is a $5 difference between the prices.

chobbs

So should I have hubby look for a different watch because it sounds like the 7750 movement isn't very good. :( Since I had said he wanted the Tag Heuer Carrera and it's a 7750 movement.

myaz

The 7750 is a movement that does have a higher failure rate considering it has to do extra work moving the little sub dials. However, It seems to be reliable enough for most applications. There are plenty of warnings on this, and other fora, about staying away from the configuration that has secs @6 and even @12. in case you need more info, it means that the subdials have different functions keeping track of elapsed seconds (secs) minutes and hours. The 7750 has problems when manufacturers try to save money by cheaply modifying the movement for something it's not meant to do: having a seconds subdial in the 6:00 (secs @6) or 12:00 position. Stay away from these and you should be OK.

Both Marvellous and WatchInternational are TDs here. If it's available, they can get it for you. Pick the one whose terms you prefer.

dalboy

Chobbs, as Luth say's do not buy quartz! If your husband is like 99.9% of the guys on this forum he will be much much happier with an automatic. Trust me on this please. Go for the auto. If it's out of your price range purchase something else... like a nice drill.

Would that be a rep drill. :giggle:

Greenhat

You can tell shes a chick by the way you lot are sniffing round her can't you tell by the lingo she happy married

by that i mean what wife buys there old man a watch ..............mine fucking don't

powderfreak

You can tell shes a chick by the way you lot are sniffing round her

TRUE :rofl: Next time I need help I pretend to be a chick... :Whistle:

by that i mean what wife buys there old man a watch ..............mine fucking don't

The feeling of guilt maybe? :lol:

myaz

Start working on a reaaaal good sock ID, something better than "hotPowdergirl"

coz you know more about watches than most here and I don't see you asking anything easy :Whistle:

chobbs

coz you know more about watches than most here and I don't see you asking anything easy :Whistle:

I know you aren't talking about me because I don't know jack about watches. LOL

Luthier

I have about a dozen or more watches with A7750, some are 2-3 years old, never serviced, all run perfectly, no any problems. And I run chrono all the time.

powderfreak

I know you aren't talking about me because I don't know jack about watches. LOL

Me neither :giggle: but don't tell anyone! :Whistle:

Greenhat

[You can tell shes a chick by the way you lot are sniffing round her

No need to pretend Puff you only ave to put on a miniskirt and your more than half way there ,if that going by the way you look in that picture i saw of you

powderfreak

No need to pretend Puff you only ave to put on a miniskirt and your more than half way there ,if that going by the way you look in that picture i saw of you

sure u don't mix me up with someone else in your old, holey memory? or just too hot in ya cave?

chobbs

Picture? Good one. LOL

Greenhat

sure u don't mix me up with someone else in your old, holey memory? or just too hot in ya cave?

Thats quite true puff cimg1438x.jpg brains are quite a bit scrambled to-day also might ave got your picture mixed up with another tart looking member

chobbs

Ok so I'm going to go ahead and order. I narrowed it down to Toro, Watch Int'l and Marvellous. However, Marvellous' website hasn't been working the past few days, so sorry, but that sounds sketchy. There is only a $2 difference in price between Toro and Watch Int'l. If you guys had to choose, which one would you go with? I know they both come highly recommended under the Trusted Dealers link, but help me out here. :)

myaz

TRULY a coin flip decision. Cannot possibly go wrong with either TD. Look at the feedback section of both if you still vacillate.

watchlord

welcome :)

ebzen02

We are nice...welcome!