Sign in to follow this  
sconehead

The Russian connection

sconehead

These two Molnijas just arrived, I'll use one in a future Panerai project. The 3601 movement was made using Cortebert tooling in Russia, as you may or may not know the Corteberts were basically re-badged with Rolex to power early Panerai watches.

03122009413.jpg

03122009414-1.jpg

03122009415.jpg

03122009416.jpg

Be aware though, there are two types of 15 jewel Molinja/Molnia movements, the 3601 and the 3602, the former being the one to go for. Why? because it has a brass holder for the centre wheel and the plates have the same finish overall as the original Cortebert/Rolex.

Both movements are in desperate need of a service, they are gummed up, stiff to wind/move hands and generally bereft of oil, in fact I would guess they probably haven't been serviced since new from the mid 50's...one's lost 2 mins in 24 hours, the other 5 mins.

dingle

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

next giveaway watch. Thanks sconey. I may now have a fighting chance. :)

sconehead
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

next giveaway watch. Thanks sconey. I may now have a fighting chance. :irish_dance:

It'll probably take a year to complete...:)

Giveaway...to you....neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever... ;)

dingle
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

next giveaway watch. Thanks sconey. I may now have a fighting chance. :irish_dance:

It'll probably take a year to complete...:)

Giveaway...to you....neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever... :lolcina:

;):irish_dance:

PatronSaintofChainsaws
Be aware though, there are two types of 15 jewel Molinja/Molnia movements, the 3601 and the 3602, the former being the one to go for. Why? because it has a brass holder for the centre wheel and the plates have the same finish overall as the original Cortebert/Rolex.

There's more than two types as well. The 3602 is generally 17 or 18 jewels, and there are variants of the 3602 that have a micro-adjustment setup, and/or striped plates/bridges like the 3601 (I have a couple).

The 3602 has a taller canon pinion + hour wheel setup, so it's less sensitive about the dial thickness than the 3601/3602A. I'm not sure if the taller parts can be switched from the 3602 to the 3601/3602A.

Know-it-all information ahead: I believe that the 3601 is a label that has been applied by our community. Molnia/Molnija documentation actually refer to it as the 3602A.

sconehead

There's more than two types as well. The 3602 is generally 17 or 18 jewels, and there are variants of the 3602 that have a micro-adjustment setup, and/or striped plates/bridges like the 3601 (I have a couple).

The 3602 has a taller canon pinion + hour wheel setup, so it's less sensitive about the dial thickness than the 3601/3602A. I'm not sure if the taller parts can be switched from the 3602 to the 3601/3602A.

Know-it-all information ahead: I believe that the 3601 is a label that has been applied by our community. Molnia/Molnija documentation actually refer to it as the 3602A.

Thanks for the info. Recognize the watch on the right in the first pic? :)

edit: notice how prices are rising...is that rep fans bidding against each other do you think?

KBH

I've seen a couple of gen/homage type watches professionally built with serviced and decorated Molnia movements for sale on eBay. And they're selling a lot more than just a couple.

PatronSaintofChainsaws
Thanks for the info. Recognize the watch on the right in the first pic? :)

Yep. ;)

edit: notice how prices are rising...is that rep fans bidding against each other do you think?

Also, yes. Pro-tip: you'll find more Monija movements available if you search for "Molnia" and "Molniya". Apparently, no one can make up their mind about how to translate it properly.

sconehead

Here's a few drawings of the markings used on the movements utilized in some Panerai watches, can't remember where I got them from so all credit to XXXX

converted6497.jpg

PatronSaintofChainsaws
Here's a few drawings of the markings used on the movements utilized in some Panerai watches, can't remember where I got them from so all credit to XXXX

I think most people want it to look like the Rolex-marked version of the Cortebert 616 found in some pocket watches, since the bridges on the 618s pictured are shaped differently then the 616/620/624/3601/3602A/3602. That way, it looks like a drop-in replacement rather than a fantasy 616/618 hybrid.

sconehead

Believe it or not the drawings are labled 'converted6497.jpg???'

Like I said, I don't know where I picked them up from. I don't know whether or not to let Nightwatch do the bridge work or have a go myself (obviously not the engraving!) I'm a born tinkerer...

PatronSaintofChainsaws

Like I said, I don't know where I picked them up from. I don't know whether or not to let Nightwatch do the bridge work or have a go myself (obviously not the engraving!) I'm a born tinkerer...

I think those are from cls...wasn't he talking about doing 618 bridges for the 6497?

sconehead

I think those are from cls...wasn't he talking about doing 618 bridges for the 6497?

Yes, it probably is from him come to think of it...all credit to CLS then?

This is what I want to build, http://www.connectingwatches.com/forums/cf...csp?OBJID=26061

I'm in no hurry and want to get all the best bits available.

I'll spread the cost over a period of time by not buying anymore reps (apart from my pre-ordered WM9 LV Sub)

Suggestions?

JohnG
I've seen a couple of gen/homage type watches professionally built with serviced and decorated Molnia movements for sale on eBay. And they're selling a lot more than just a couple.

These?

classic_1241.jpg

I think they are new movements - NOS - they made these up to just a few years ago, I understand there are a LOT of them still out there. You see TONS of new pocket watches on the bay with new 3602's... And on the ad they actually call them 3603's....

sconehead

Mostly from German sellers?

PatronSaintofChainsaws
I think they are new movements - NOS - they made these up to just a few years ago, I understand there are a LOT of them still out there. You see TONS of new pocket watches on the bay with new 3602's... And on the ad they actually call them 3603's....

Yup, the 3603 is another Molnija movement. Looks like a 3602 but with the blued screws. There are a few more Molnija designations as well...I'll see if I can find the link that shows them.

trailboss99

Nice pickup sconey.

Nice case knife too :lol:

Col.

KBH

These?

classic_1241.jpg

I don't think that was one that I was looking at.

One of the web sites specifically mentioned that they used the older movements and they were all completely dissembled, the bridges were decorated, the wheels were polished, and they were serviced and reassembled. They made known the fact that it often took 2 old movements to assemble one reconditioned new one.

Dr Yan

Hey guys, very interesting thread.

i bought this "Molnija" pocket watch recently it was very cheap.. i had the idea to put it in a getat case maybe.

the odd thing is when i open up the back it has all the usual signings but they are in english script.

maybe one of you guys might know about it . it seems strange to me , maybe its a rep :lol:

all other molnija movements i have seen have been in russian or cryllic text.

pic below click on it to zoom ( i still dont know how to put a full size image on here)

imagerhc.th.jpg

dingle
Hey guys, very interesting thread.

i bought this "Molnija" pocket watch recently it was very cheap.. i had the idea to put it in a getat case maybe.

the odd thing is when i open up the back it has all the usual signings but they are in english script.

maybe one of you guys might know about it . it seems strange to me , maybe its a rep :lol:

all other molnija movements i have seen have been in russian or cryllic text.

pic below click on it to zoom ( i still dont know how to put a full size image on here)

imagerhc.th.jpg

dryan---take a look here:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=4390

this is what you will get

imagerhc.jpg

Dr Yan

Cool , thanks dingleberry

dingle
Cool , thanks dingleberry

anytime my friend. Let me know if you need any help :lol:

g.man

WTF?