Sign in to follow this  
P_Diddy

Service frequency of gen watches

P_Diddy

All owners of gen expensive watches, how often do you have your gen watch serviced?

I was thinking along the lines of 3 - 5 years for my Rolex.

This article makes for interesting reading, even if your watch keeps good time after 5 years, it may be wearing out some expensive parts that are not replaced in a basic movement service?

Watch Service frequency

Comments

KBH

Ziggy, Zigmeister, Ziggy Zumba, says every 5 years.

My grandfathers railroad watch hasn't been serviced in about 80 years and it still keeps perfect time. Who really knows? They say to change your oil every 3-5000 miles in your car but I've seen cars that run fine with only a couple of oil changes in 150,000.

sconehead

It's a bit like cars, KBH is right. As technology in lubricants and materials advance the intervals between services grow longer. The Omega co-axial movements are recommended to last around 10 years or so before requiring one...allegedly...

phaedo
Ziggy, Zigmeister, Ziggy Zumba, says every 5 years.

My grandfathers railroad watch hasn't been serviced in about 80 years and it still keeps perfect time. Who really knows? They say to change your oil every 3-5000 miles in your car but I've seen cars that run fine with only a couple of oil changes in 150,000.

But also, those older watches that have never been serviced generally run at a lower beat, and I think Ziggy has mentioned that because of this, the older watches can keep running without servicing better than the higher beat new fangled ones.

KBH

Watchmakers will all tell you 5 years.

Whether or not you believe them is up to you. I personally don't know but I've never had one serviced unless it didn't work properly.

AllergyDoc

You should see your allergist monthly, whether or not you are symptomatic. :bottle:

P.S. And give him/her expensive Christmas presents.

10:10 Watch Repair

I would say 5 years. I have worked on vintage watches that were never serviced and still ran. I haven't seen much damage from parts wearing out, usually it's from someone breaking something while servicing.

omni
I've never had one serviced unless it didn't work properly.
Same here, and it seems to come before 5 years is up, I must be a little tougher on them than usual people.

Same here, and it seems to come before 5 years is up, I must be a little tougher on them than usual people.

What do you do to them that's tougher? Space travel maybe? Race car driver? Crocodile hunter?

omni

What do you do to them that's tougher? Space travel maybe? Race car driver? Crocodile hunter?

Nothing unusual other than being uncoordinated and careless!

PAM104 just stopped at 4 years, $500 for Panerai servicing. Usual whacks on door frames & desk corners.

GLYCINE AIRMAN 7. Due to weight / size, it has slipped out of my hands and dropped on concrete floors several times when taking on or off, usually when hurried at airport security checks. Two of the three movements stopped at different times, stem/crown on one inoperative, all before 2 year warranty period was up, repaired three different times by Glycine.

P_Diddy

was $500 for a routine Panerai service or did you have other parts not covered by movement service, replaced at the same time?

PAM104 just stopped at 4 years, $500 for Panerai servicing. Usual whacks on door frames & desk corners.

omni
was $500 for a routine Panerai service or did you have other parts not covered by movement service, replaced at the same time?

It was routine and routine service charge.

Nothing unusual other than being uncoordinated and careless!

Should have said crocodile hunter.

fakemaster

Five is a rule of thumb. If it's a special occasion watch you can go years and years. If it is an everyday wear that you take in the hot tub and ahower all the time it can be as little as two. If it's rep that's a completely different story.