Sign in to follow this  
davylloyd

6538 Bond project completion

dalboy

More please !! ohh come on dont stop there..

Love everything so far with exception of the luming !! blimey o'reilly !! the lume on 9 and 12..ummmm.

As for the ageing of the case ..YES !! thats what i mean , subtle ..less is more...good work.. more pics please ..

Dal..........

Yes, not too good, but it is my first stab at it, and I'll learn, I hope......

Sorry mate didn't realise this was you first go..i take it back .. :giggle:

Love eveything else though..

Dal.....

davylloyd

O.K., fed and watered, back to it. Run the seal through the grease on your fingers, and then replace it in the grooveP1030144-1.jpg

....replace the caseback, and rotate the hands through a full 24 hours to check for fouling, and then set the right time,

P1030148.jpg

Edited by davylloyd

davylloyd

...and AWAY SHE GOES!

P1030149.jpg

davylloyd

After refitting the strap and cleaning it up, I took these shots.....

P1030150.jpg

P1030151.jpg

P1030152.jpg

P1030153.jpg

P1030154.jpg

P1030155.jpg

Edited by davylloyd

fana05

Sorry dude but this beauty would look much better on my wrist.

davylloyd

.......then, as my dear old Dad taught me, make sure there is nothing left in the parts box.......... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

P1030156.jpg

davylloyd

And lastly, some side by side shots with the watch as it came from Silix.

Thanks for reading this, hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed doing it (even if it did just give you some belly laughs at the failures!)

P1030157.jpg

P1030158.jpg

P1030159.jpg

onionbag

.......then, as my dear old Dad taught me, make sure there is nothing left in the parts box.......... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

P1030156.jpg

Ah yes, the bits left over scenario................only ideal if you're a baker to trade. :D

davylloyd

...forgot to say, I will drill out that horrible pearl and refill with some epoxy and lume mix, the same colour as the dial. :thumbsup2:

ron76

I think you did a great job, respect for trying and imo succeeding.

davylloyd

More please !! ohh come on dont stop there..

Love everything so far with exception of the luming !! blimey o'reilly !! the lume on 9 and 12..ummmm.

As for the ageing of the case ..YES !! thats what i mean , subtle ..less is more...good work.. more pics please ..

Dal..........

Yes, not too good, but it is my first stab at it, and I'll learn, I hope......

Sorry mate didn't realise this was you first go..i take it back .. :giggle:

Love eveything else though..

Dal.....

Completely fair comment.

Added a dodgy lume picture of the dodgy lume, maybe a mini-project for another day when my nerves are not so frazzled....

P1030163.jpg

russruss101

Can I just say, that looks fabulous.

And as the previously-mentioned son, I cannot wait to have one on MY wrist :-)

Top work big guy, can't wait to see it in the flesh!

scorpion

Apart from lume at 9 it looks good and definitely achieves the aged look without being battered. Never tried to do lume and have heard its a right pain so I am not criticizing your effort, maybe its possible to clean up the 9.

One question i have asked before but can find an answer - the drilled lugs, were they already drilled from Silix and you enlarged them or did you drill them through. I have a newer standard sub without drilled lugs and cant work out how to drill it from the outside to meet the existing holes.'#

Is it possible and how would I line them up?

davylloyd

Apart from lume at 9 it looks good and definitely achieves the aged look without being battered. Never tried to do lume and have heard its a right pain so I am not criticizing your effort, maybe its possible to clean up the 9.

One question i have asked before but can find an answer - the drilled lugs, were they already drilled from Silix and you enlarged them or did you drill them through. I have a newer standard sub without drilled lugs and cant work out how to drill it from the outside to meet the existing holes.'#

Is it possible and how would I line them up?

If you read back in my other threads, you'll see that I enlarged holes that were too small on the Silix watch.

The problem of drilling through a horn from scratch is a different one, but I think I'd go from the outside, measure and mark carefully, and use a pillar drill to keep everything square and level.

Good luck!

YoungGPS

Nice work! I hope, someday I will have the same passion and skills to create a work of art.

davylloyd

Can I just say, that looks fabulous.

And as the previously-mentioned son, I cannot wait to have one on MY wrist :-)

Top work big guy, can't wait to see it in the flesh!

Well thanks, son!

Come and see it in the flesh whenever you like. Although the lume doesn't look as bad in normal size, on your wrist, as it does in close-up on a computer screen, I'd like to put it right. Perhaps best if you wait for the second one?

On the subject of waiting, read the thread 'Crackdown in China' in the news forum, and remember, if you do get a letter from customs, don't answer it - hold tight until things are back to normal in China, and if needs be, Michelle at Silix will send it again.

Can't wait to see that Panerai!

davylloyd

Nice work! I hope, someday I will have the same passion and skills to create a work of art.

Thanks!

Hardly a work of art, but more than I expected to get out of my first stab at it.

As I've said elsewhere, don't try it on a watch you own and already love, do it as a project on a newly ordered piece and be prepared for a few heartaches. ;)

acharles331

Is this the $85 ROL234 from Silix? I'm looking at purchasing a Bond Rollie to weather and mod. I heard somewhere or saw in a video that the movement in a watch similar to this one moves around in the case when setting the time. Is that he case with this watch? If anyone has any experience with the ROL234 please let me hear our input. Thanks.

Haltec

Is this the $85 ROL234 from Silix? I'm looking at purchasing a Bond Rollie to weather and mod. I heard somewhere or saw in a video that the movement in a watch similar to this one moves around in the case when setting the time. Is that he case with this watch? If anyone has any experience with the ROL234 please let me hear our input. Thanks.

And a few years later it's a 96 US$ Silix ROL234...

The mod is great.

Can someone post a few more pictures ? Coin bezel side pics , Crown ( Brevet ? ), Caseback, Caseback inside stamps/engraving, In between lugs stamps/engraving.

And second thing: Coloration of 007 Sean Connery movie watch hands is? Gold? Silver? White second hand?

Thunderball-Rolex.jpg

Goldfinger_James_bond_nato_strap_rolex_Submariner_zpsec6bb1d2.jpg

Haltec

Haltec

And it apperars that atleast two type of bezels exist for 6538 '58.

489985d.jpg

serial.jpg

Haltec

GC
And second thing: Coloration of 007 Sean Connery movie watch hands is? Gold? Silver? White seconds hand.

All hands are gold... Yes, even the seconds hand.

Haltec

Thnx. I learned a bit about these.

I took Silix cheapie. And I like it so much that I only waterproof it. Some minor cosmetic changes will be made when I return from holidays..

(Plastic pearl - Re-shaping of endlinks etc..)

But as I said - I like it so much that I consider it GEN Silix. & I don't want to alter it too much.

It grows with me really - I don't wear Tag gens I own for last 8 months since I bought this bugger.

Funny little creature with almost no lume, self dissasembling bracelet, lausy embossed BREVET crown, too high dome chrystal, and oscillating weight (A21j) so heavy that watch shakes your hand after you shake the watch!!

I LOVE IT!!!

I'll made (hopefully) few more samples (with gen dial and GEN 1030 movement) and one 6200 with Swiss (Swiss) ETA and long hour hand.

;-)

And small bezel difference (case also) is between 6538 & 6538A