Sign in to follow this  
Hazz

Balance wheel

Hazz

I wind my watch and it starts, if I put my wrist at a certain angle, the watch then stops. until I give it a good shake, I opened the case back, and found the balance wheel has jammed, any thoughts for resolving ?

dalboy

Pics would help. more detail on "jammed "

Dal...........

KeNnY

shooooow pics mate !

Luthier

And... what watch?

HWG

Give the spring a good shot from a can of compressed air, there could be a piece of debris blocking the way. That has happened to me before.

Hazz

Pics wouldn't really show anything

conx

:)

Every picture I've ever taken shows a stopped watch, but they seem to work when not in a picture - odd.

dalboy

:)

Every picture I've ever taken shows a stopped watch, but they seem to work when not in a picture - odd.

:giggle: :giggle:

Hazz

Problem solved,new movement being sent out.

Hazz

Don't know if these pics will help, but balance wheel does not seen to be catching the notch to turn the movement (if you know what I mean)

72772d95.jpg

8da13cbd.jpg

Odyseus

You have to ensure that the small jewel peg on the balance wheel is correctly engaged into the pallet fork. Of course if the jewel peg is damaged or broken then it won't work!!

dalboy

You have to ensure that the small jewel peg on the balance wheel is correctly engaged into the pallet fork. Of course if the jewel peg is damaged or broken then it won't work!!

Pallet fork !! is that a new kind of eating utensil... :giggle:

Hazz

does the pallet fork need to be centered first ?

Odyseus

It probably helps to centre it, what you need to do is drop the balance wheel into position, without placing the balance wheel bridge. I then try to wiggle the balance wheel to check that the pallet fork moves and also the escape wheel. Then you can secure the balance wheel bridge.

As you can tell and will soon find out, this is particularly hard and tricky to get right. But you'll get there in the end :) If you can do this, then everything else on the movement is a piece of piss!! :)

Hazz

Thanx, will be staying up all night I think.....

10:10 Watch Repair

you can't center the pallet if the watch is wound at all, it will come to rest on a banking pin - and that's what you want.

move the pallet to the far banking pin (closer to the center of the watch) and then install the balance. The technique is to hold the balance cock rotated a few degrees, drop the balance staff onto it's lower jewel and then rotate the balance cock onto the mainplate. That way the impulse jewel on the balance is in the correct position be moved by the pallet.

http://youtu.be/LpDsxl4f1Kk?t=1m7s

HeavyKrush

Chris, you are the man.

dalboy

Thanx, will be staying up all night I think.....

Was your sleepless night worth it ??did you manage to sort it out ...hope so mate..

Dal..........

YoungGPS

More updates please!

gtwc

Jumping Jehosafatt !!!

is there nothing you guys don't know?

Al this technical talk flies way over my head - it's interesting though.

What a wealth of knowledge that can be gleaned from here - noobies take note.

Hazz

UPDATE:::::::::

Given upfor now, watch going crazy, I turn the hand and the secong spins like mad, amongst other things>

dalboy

Take a break before it gets to you..!!

Tomorrows another day mate..

Dal...

Dendo

you can't center the pallet if the watch is wound at all, it will come to rest on a banking pin - and that's what you want.

move the pallet to the far banking pin (closer to the center of the watch) and then install the balance. The technique is to hold the balance cock rotated a few degrees, drop the balance staff onto it's lower jewel and then rotate the balance cock onto the mainplate. That way the impulse jewel on the balance is in the correct position be moved by the pallet.

http://youtu.be/LpDsxl4f1Kk?t=1m7s

Chris - great advice and amazing video.

Now I know that is a speeded up video but even at normal speed that guy is working amazingly well. What a technician. Just doing the simple things like placing the screws in position and screwing them home - he never falters - gets it right first time and finishes quickly. Amazing. He has done that assembly many times no doubt. When I look at surgeons and want to assess who is good, the efficiency of their suturing tells me everything.

Thanks Chris - very helpful.

Dendo

Given upfor now, watch going crazy, I turn the hand and the secong spins like mad, amongst other things>

Yeah listen to Dalboy. Be rested, no coffee, no rush, take your time.........I always mess up when I am stressed, caffeined or in a hurry.

mañana mañana

10:10 Watch Repair

I think you broke the pallet arbor.