Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

Watch still winding while screwing down crown

fatarms

Hi guys, probably a really stupid question, but when I am screwing down the crown on one of my 21J's, the watch continues to wind. It also feels like the crown is slipping slightly now and then, like the gears aren't catching while turning the crown and winding the watch.

I would assume that these two things are related, either the crown and stem aren't in far enough or they are too far in. So my question is basically to fix the winding while screwing the crown down, after all, if the movement is missing gear teeth, not much I can do about that. So to fix the winding thing, is that move the crown/stem in or out?

James.

I have a similar issue with a few of my watches, 21j autos and clones I prefer to give them a hand wind in the mornings to boost up the juice in them before a lethargic day. I don't know if hand winding an auto creates the problem or if it's something non-related.

Balad1

I've also got a few reps with the same issue. Kind pisses me off, I get tired of the shitty little problems / issues.

This is the main reason I'm now looking to buy higher quality reps only.

amuthon

I've also got a few reps with the same issue. Kind pisses me off, I get tired of the shitty little problems / issues.

This is the main reason I'm now looking to buy higher quality reps only.

I doubt that this problem is cheapo related,

my 288 with a7750 and my SM300 with swiss 2836 have the same issue.

I would guess the movement needs a service...

offshore

Guys, this issue normally relates to the position of the crown on the stem.(And sometimes even to the length of the stem)

If you are still winding the watch as you try to screw the crown down, the crown is too far down the stem.

Probably the crown was put on to a stem which was a bit short, and glued to make it sit in position. Then the glue has let go and you have wound the crown further down the stem, and now its not engaging past the winding position, which allows a screw down. So maybe it requires a stem just a touch longer. Maybe a better glue will hold the crown at its ideal setting, however you have huge torque at the stem thread, so don't think Loctite will hold.

Each problem has to be managed in its own entirety, so there is no one answer cures all here, depends on whether it is a winding movement, a screw down crown, and the crown spring loading.

An half competent watchsmith will solve most of these types of issue reasonably quickly.

Just think about the position of the crown on the stem, and what function happens on the next IN, or OUT movement.

Offshore

powderfreak

Gotta say that I believe a few of my watches do the same, but I don't see how winding is a problem when I screw down a crown.

As long as you don't screw it down like a maniac there shouldn't be much trouble. Apart from that, hand-winding autos isn't something

I would do too often. From my experience it's unnecessary, so why bother winding manually?

10:10 Watch Repair

Guys, this issue normally relates to the position of the crown on the stem.(And sometimes even to the length of the stem)

If you are still winding the watch as you try to screw the crown down, the crown is too far down the stem.

Probably the crown was put on to a stem which was a bit short, and glued to make it sit in position. Then the glue has let go and you have wound the crown further down the stem, and now its not engaging past the winding position, which allows a screw down. So maybe it requires a stem just a touch longer. Maybe a better glue will hold the crown at its ideal setting, however you have huge torque at the stem thread, so don't think Loctite will hold.

Each problem has to be managed in its own entirety, so there is no one answer cures all here, depends on whether it is a winding movement, a screw down crown, and the crown spring loading.

An half competent watchsmith will solve most of these types of issue reasonably quickly.

Just think about the position of the crown on the stem, and what function happens on the next IN, or OUT movement.

Offshore

what he said.

FWIW, my gen IWC 3706 used to do this too.

greg_r

Yup - I've had a gen that did this too (albeit one rather less upmarket than IWC! ;) ) - along with several reps in my current collection. Given that I rarely hand-wind autos, I'm not really that bothered, but it's not that hard to get fixed if it worries you...

fatarms

Thank you for the replies, I will see if moving the stem in or out slightly solves the problem. If not, I can learn to live with it. I wasn't sure if it was a quick fix or not.

tesmith2112

Very common to me as well. Never posed an issue, just annoying.