AllergyDoc

Preferred types of payments when buying replicas

AllergyDoc

PayPal

There are a few simple rules when using PayPal to purchase replica watches, or replica anything.

1. Never put anything like "fake watch" or "replica watch" in the note section of PayPal. This is a big, huge no-no. PayPal will freeze the sellers account, potentially costing him/her thousands of dollars. Many sellers, like Ruby, will tell you what to write. If they don't, ask them or make something up that's NOT watch related.
  2. If you have purchased from a recommended dealer and are having a problem (watch won't run, arrived DOA, dealer isn't returning emails, etc.) contact forum admin before filing a PayPal dispute. Oftentimes admin can act as an intermediary and get things sorted out for you. Do this even if you purchased your watch from a forum member. Filing PayPal disputes when buying fake watches will only lead to trouble.
  3. Make sure to verify your mailing address with PayPal. Many sellers, including myself, will not ship to a non-verified address as it leaves them vulnerable to fraud.
  4. If you're selling to a private party, it's a good idea to have a backup plan. Keep a receipt around for an item(s) that show a similar cost as a replica. If PayPal decides to "investigate" your transaction (keep your money longer) you'll have a receipt handy to tell them what you sold. As long as you and the buyer agree, that ends the PP investigation.

Western Union/Money Gram/Bank Wire

Many dealers will only accept these forms of payment so you're stuck with it if you want to buy a watch from them. It's the same as paying cash, except for the transaction fee. Nothing wrong with these types of payments as long as you keep this in mind:

The manner of payment is not as important as the person you are doing business with.

Deal with a crook and you're likely to get scammed.

Deal with a recommended dealer and you'll be okay.

A nice thing about using these forms of payment is, it's untraceable if you buy from a retail outlet and pay cash. No paper trail.

Credit Card

The easiest, and probably safest, way to buy replicas. You have the backing of your bank if something should go wrong. If you're concerned about security, get a card you use only for replica transactions, one with a small balance. Or set up a separate bank account with a VISA debit card. Transfer money into the account only when you want to make a purchase.

Edited 2021: While credit cards are the easiest way to pay, the CC gateways that are used in China by some TD's can be dodgy and issues do occur. Many members would recommend against using CC's for rep purchases, while others have done so many times without issue. You need to understand that these are not Amazon purchases and the more steps in the payment process, the higher the probability that issues will occur.

WISE - formerly Transferwise 

Most TD's accept WISE transfers, these can be done online using the WISE app and are generally the lowest cost option to transfer payment. Fees are low and exchange rates are usually right at spot prices. This will definitely be a lower cost option than WU and PP online. There are multiple options in WISE to transfer money and fees are set accordingly, with linking to your bank account being the lowest cost option.

Cashier's Check/Money Order

Just another form of cash. You better know and trust the person you're buying from. See Western Union above.

COD

You're being scammed. Read the Top 10 Lies of Replica Buying again.

Edited by tribefan
Updated 2021 and pinned

Demsey

Good post.

PAYPAL IS FROM HELL!!

I was caught up in a huge fracas with PayPal when some jerk didn't heed Doc's rule #1 or rule #2 here with regard to a deal with Eddie Lee. This idiot actually wrote "Replica Rolex Daytona" in the comments section. Eddie's account was frozen to the tune of 4K and I had my account frozen as I was in a deal with Eddie at the time. The deals were exclusive and unrelated. I even had my eBay account banned as eBay and PayPal are subsidiary and I used the same verified email account for both. When they freeze an account, they delay mediation and use your money as 'asset' to do whatever they please in the short, mid, and long term. And no, it's not illegal, you agreed to it by accepting their terms for registration.

To this day, I will not, under any circumstances, deal with those shysters. Well, if I had an account, I wouldn't. :gunbandana:

"intermediary"

AllergyDoc
"intermediary"

Muchas.

Moneybookers is better, but they're not taking any new customers from the U.S. :gunbandana:

Guest dave123

I hope John and Greg are listening.

greg_r

Yeah, I'm listening....

As Dave knows, the current supporter subs method is set up via paypal. Not a situation I'm happy about, to tell the truth, but moneybookers ain't an option over here and WU is too damned expensive. I'm still exploring the options, but we will be switching to another provider in due course.

oscarmadfish

touch wood i have never had any problems with paypal

greg_r

On reflection - I think this topic is important enough to be worth pinning. Thanks, AD!

unclestu
PayPal

There are a few simple rules when using PayPal to purchase replica watches, or replica anything.

1. Never put anything like "fake watch" or "replica watch" in the note section of PayPal. This is a big, huge no-no. PayPal will freeze the sellers account, potentially costing him/her thousands of dollars. Many sellers, like Ruby, will tell you what to write. If they don't, ask them or make something up that's NOT watch related.
  2. If you have purchased from a recommended dealer and are having a problem (watch won't run, arrived DOA, dealer isn't returning emails, etc.) contact forum admin before filing a PayPal dispute. Oftentimes admin can act as an intermediary and get things sorted out for you. Do this even if you purchased your watch from a forum member. Filing PayPal disputes when buying fake watches will only lead to trouble.
  3. Make sure to verify your mailing address with PayPal. Many sellers, including myself, will not ship to a non-verified address as it leaves them vulnerable to fraud.
  4. If you're selling to a private party, it's a good idea to have a backup plan. Keep a receipt around for an item(s) that show a similar cost as a replica. If PayPal decides to "investigate" your transaction (keep your money longer) you'll have a receipt handy to tell them what you sold. As long as you and the buyer agree, that ends the PP investigation.

Western Union/Money Gram/Bank Wire

Many dealers will only accept these forms of payment so you're stuck with it if you want to buy a watch from them. It's the same as paying cash, except for the transaction fee. Nothing wrong with these types of payments as long as you keep this in mind:

The manner of payment is not as important as the person you are doing business with.

Deal with a crook and you're likely to get scammed.

Deal with a recommended dealer and you'll be okay.

A nice thing about using these forms of payment is, it's untraceable if you buy from a retail outlet and pay cash. No paper trail.

Credit Card

The easiest, and probably safest, way to buy replicas. You have the backing of your bank if something should go wrong. If you're concerned about security, get a card you use only for replica transactions, one with a small balance. Or set up a separate bank account with a VISA debit card. Transfer money into the account only when you want to make a purchase.

Cashier's Check/Money Order

Just another form of cash. You better know and trust the person you're buying from. See Western Union above.

COD

You're being scammed. Read the Top 10 Lies of Replica Buying again.

Hi

Iam a nooby to this my latest obsession replica watches. I took your advice about setting up a separate account at the bank and getting a Visa/debit card. Unfortunately I found that my transaction was being declined. I spoke to the seller Replicamake who informed me that the sale was being declined because it was a debit card. He recommended that I use a regular Visa card not a debit card. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Ska

Unclestu - did you transfer the required money into your debit account BEFORE making the payment? A debit card will only work if you physically have the funds in the account.

AllergyDoc

As long as the debit card has a Visa or MasterCard logo on it it should work. I've used Visa/debit cards to buy watches many times. Just did it this week on Josh's site.

prestigewatchco

Credit/Debit card should make no difference as long as it's Visa or mastercard. I know some delta/solo etc don't work though

greg_r

Also be warned that some banks will sting you for a hefty currency exchange fee if you use a debit card. Credit cards do not normally suffer that issue...

unclestu
As long as the debit card has a Visa or MasterCard logo on it it should work. I've used Visa/debit cards to buy watches many times. Just did it this week on Josh's site.

Thanks for the reply. My card is a Visa/debit card issued by Chase and Lay from Replicamake said the reason was that it was a debit card. Perhaps it has something to do with his payment sites requirments or perhaps it has something to do with Chase. In any event I will just proceed with a regular credit card.

unclestu
Also be warned that some banks will sting you for a hefty currency exchange fee if you use a debit card. Credit cards do not normally suffer that issue...

Wow

maybe the fact that my debit card didn't work is divine intervention. I didn't even think about the possibility of an exchange fee being applied. Thanks

unclestu

Chase was the reason for the declined transaction. It seems that this being my first attempt to use my card online outside of the USA raised a red flag with the Chase Fraud dept. Everything is good to go now. LET THE GOOD TIMES BEGIN

greg_r

Wow

maybe the fact that my debit card didn't work is divine intervention. I didn't even think about the possibility of an exchange fee being applied. Thanks

Some are fine (mine is, for instance), but it's worth checking just in case - I know a couple of folks on here have been caught by some pretty hefty charges...

Demsey

Know too that even tho' a debit card may have the Visa/Matercard logo, the terms for user protection are VERY different than they would be for a Visa/Mastercharge line of credit make sure you understand your particular user agreement. Essentially, you have no more legal recourse than if you were using cash for 'stop payments' or 'disputes'. Using a debit card on the 'net is considered dicey at best for the lack of those protections. So, as Doc suggested, open an exclusive account for 'net purchases, keeping the balance just enough to cover one purchase at a time and not one you would use for daily transactions. A 'pre-paid' Visa/Mastercard line may be differenet and another option.

Wow. '08. What a 'necro thread'.

Edited by Demsey

unclestu
Know too that even tho' a debit card may have the Visa/Matercard logo, the terms for user protection are VERY different than they would be for a Visa/Mastercharge line of credit make sure you understand your particular user agreement. Essentially, you have no more legal recourse than if you were using cash for 'stop payments' or 'disputes'. Using a debit card on the 'net is considered dicey at best for the lack of those protections. So, as Doc suggested, open an exclusive account for 'net purchases, keeping the balance just enough to cover one purchase at a time and not one you would use for daily transactions. A 'pre-paid' Visa/Mastercard line may be differenet and another option.

Wow. '08. What a 'necro thread'.

I checked that with my bank and all of the buyer protections associated with the visa logo are available to me through my debit card. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as a pre-paid visa is that not the same as a debit card? Are not both limited to the amount of money that is on deposit? Generally those type of credit cards (pre paid) are targeted to those with a sub prime credit rating. Those cards tend to have egregious fees associated with them, not to mention finance charges calculated with no grace period at loan shark interest rates. Not a good alternative IMHO.

I think it all boils down to one thing and that is doing business with a trusted dealer with a, proven, good track record.

Geoffg6868

Heed good advice, think about what you are doing, keep to the rules of Pay Pal you will be OK double check before clicking.

Luthier
:picard:

Dr Yan

Necro fossil zombie post :)

jeffw69

Heed good advice, think about what you are doing, keep to the rules of Pay Pal you will be OK double check before clicking.

Thanks Dood!

tribefan

Edited and pinned in 2021 to reflect potential issues with CC's and show WISE.

• Like 1

ChalsT

Great post.. so informative. Thank you!

BadApple
12 minutes ago, ChalsT said:

Great post.. so informative. Thank you!

jOBqZW.jpg