Sign in to follow this  
Pentax

Brushed finish between the lugs

Pentax

Hi i know i have not been around in ages just tooo busy!

I accidentaly scratched in between the lugs of my IWC there is a fine satin finish in between the lugs which is in a very straight line , does anybody know how this is achieved and with which machine ?

I have tried buffing it with a green scotch brite and with a buffing pen and also with the light side of a ladies nail file as i have done on other watch lugs before but the result was not optimal as the buffing finish in between the lugs seems much different

Any help woulb be appreciated

Thanks

HeavyKrush

Could we get some pics?

dalboy

Could we get some pics?

+

+1

Pentax

Silver i have the Dremal and all the buffing set but the straight finish is not achievable i found a way trying on an old case and i seem to be hurting the edges i will post some picts later because ipad is killing me

Pentax
Silverspeed

It may need some practise and keeping the polishing pad stationary and afterwards a bit of handpolishing

onionbag

To remove a scratch that 'goes against the grain' of an already prepared finish takes a little time and patience, the best rule is start with a rougher abrasive, then work down to that which gives you the finish you require.

A dremel is probably not the best tool for this job, a lapping stick with some 400 grit abrasive paper would be a good start, followed by 800 grit to finish, remember to work slowly and lightly.

10:10 Watch Repair

Most satin stainless watches are finished with a satin finish wheel mounted on a bench polisher.

onionbag

'Tis true dat. As he hasn't one, a hand-job it should be. But WTF do I know? I've only spent 35 years polishing and grinding steel.

Pentax

When i do it by hand the strokes slant when done by machine they are perfectly straight , i tried another trick on an old watch and it worked but the cornered edges got grinded too any advice ? I tried sticking paper tape but with the movement of the grit it would displace.

10:10 Watch Repair

'Tis true dat. As he hasn't one, a hand-job it should be. But WTF do I know? I've only spent 35 years polishing and grinding steel.

seems a bit unnecessary, that response.

scorpion

seems a bit unnecessary, that response.

Maybe its because he has spent so long grinding and polishing and his arm must ache plus I bet he has a wee hangover after all that drinking at the GTG. :lol: