Sign in to follow this  
Cyril_Clunge

Customs seizure thread

baxter

That's one out of every 5 shipments. what brands were seized? is it consistent with the pattern that was established here? Richemont and lv owned brands?

seems to be fana05 ...................APs seem to be getting through ( i've read a couple of cases where package has been opened and Hublots seized but AP's and Rolex left alone) my AP diver got through ( the package had been opened ) on the 16th August so it would " seem " that TM EYE are not advising on or targeting all brands - just the one's they have been instructed to and can get paid for seizing

Having said that i wouldn't like to be complacent about it and have two more AP's on the way so i'm still nervous.

Cyril_Clunge

This article points out the cost of legal action if the rights holders have to go down that route because people refuse permission or their goods to be destroyed

http://www.jmw.co.uk/services-for-business/intellectual-property/articles/dealing-with-counterfeit-goods/

"The brand will need to consider the cost of initiating proceedings, which will depend upon the value of the claim. If the claim were for between £5,000 and £15,000 then the cost to initiate the claim in the county court would be £225. Further, in order to then apply to the court for an injunction, there would be the further cost to seek non-monetary relief, in the sum of £150. This would total £375 just to issue the claim based on the value above. In addition, there will be the substantial legal fees which would be incurred in dealing with the proceedings.

Clearly, dealing with the importation of counterfeit goods will become a massively expensive process and once infringers become aware of the new process, they will no doubt simply reduce the size of each consignment (whilst increasing the number of consignments) knowing that it will not be financially viable for rights holders to issue proceedings against them for a small seizure of counterfeit goods. Furthermore, counterfeit goods are often imported using false details making proceedings even more futile."

trailboss99
APs seem to be getting through

AP have a policy of ignoring fakes. They simply don't take action thus APs are rarely nabbed.

sherbert79

So is the best way to get a Rep via airmail? I would imagine that is a costly process and do the likes of WI do this kind of service? Im ready to order my new Rep but I dont know if I can wait until after the olypics in the hope that things get a bit more relaxed on the customs front?

PS Excuse my ignorance but what is AP??

S

Krispee

So is the best way to get a Rep via airmail? I would imagine that is a costly process and do the likes of WI do this kind of service? Im ready to order my new Rep but I dont know if I can wait until after the olypics in the hope that things get a bit more relaxed on the customs front?

S

well it does appear that even the suppliers are advising to send Airmail, i have to send my watch back and they told me to ignore EMS or any other such service, but use only Airmail.....

AP is Audemars Piguet...

Kris

Edited by Krispee

gtwc

Nice post CC.

Seems like that there may be light at the end of the tunnel......................

geoffwa3

Guys just read this thread and my heart sank.

I ordered a Breitling Blackbird from WI which Mary took a while to source but she posted it out on the 21/8 with the EMS tracking number. Just got back off my holidays and entered the number and it tells me it was delivered into Coventry sorting centre UK on 24/8 (quick I know) then says 'handed over to customs' does this mean it has been seized and I won;t get the watch?

onionbag

Not necessarily mate, "handed to customs" is a normal tracking status, but what happens next is up in the air at the moment.

scropper

I've got a 176, a 177 and a 243 all sat 'received and processed' since 21/08... :(

I really hope they come through!

S

conx

I've got a 176, a 177 and a 243 all sat 'received and processed' since 21/08... :(

I really hope they come through!

S

I think that the "received and processed" line is the killer. That doesn't seem to be normal imo. I reckon they've been nabbed I'm sorry to say. My crazy sale Breit and Pam say the same thing :( Bastards !

onzenuub

S

well it does appear that even the suppliers are advising to send Airmail, i have to send my watch back and they told me to ignore EMS or any other such service, but use only Airmail.....

AP is Audemars Piguet...

Kris

So you received your watch, now you have to send it back through airmail and next???

Hazz

Heard there is a new shop opened in Coventry selling reps.

Member X

This article points out the cost of legal action if the rights holders have to go down that route because people refuse permission or their goods to be destroyed

http://www.jmw.co.uk...nterfeit-goods/

"The brand will need to consider the cost of initiating proceedings, which will depend upon the value of the claim. If the claim were for between £5,000 and £15,000 then the cost to initiate the claim in the county court would be £225. Further, in order to then apply to the court for an injunction, there would be the further cost to seek non-monetary relief, in the sum of £150. This would total £375 just to issue the claim based on the value above. In addition, there will be the substantial legal fees which would be incurred in dealing with the proceedings.

My worry is the first few who challenge will get taken to court in order to 'make an example'...

What exactly would the claim be for, though? Loss of profits? Infringement of copyright?

onzenuub

Heard there is a new shop opened in Coventry selling reps.

:rofl:

conx

My worry is the first few who challenge will get taken to court in order to 'make an example'...

What exactly would the claim be for, though? Loss of profits? Infringement of copyright?

I for one won't be challenging. I work on the premise that I don't order unless I am prepared to lose them. So far we've been spolit by how easy it is to get rep watches into the UK. However, the game has changed, so we need to get used to it, accept we may have lost a battle and find a way (airmail for now, perhaps) to win the next round. Raising your head above the parapet often results in getting shot.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pmcclean18

I have a 292k and 111 sitting since 20th with same message. Not expecting a good result.

Hazz

I for one won't be challenging. I work on the premise that I don't order unless I am prepared to lose them. So far we've been spolit by how easy it is to get rep watches into the UK. However, the game has changed, so we need to get used to it, accept we may have lost a battle and find a way (airmail for now, perhaps) to win the next round. Raising your head above the parapet often results in getting shot.

Just my 2 cents worth.

No reason why we should be taken to court, it is not illegal to purchase replicas, we paid for then, they are our goods, they attack us coz it is easier, rather than finding the factories, they can close them down, but they will just reopen. It will never stop. Go for the drug dealers instead........

We have done nothing wrong.....

nunu78

That's another reason of my permanent move to north America as I've seen the time when we have the most replica friendly customs in the world. Alas time have changed now.

Just joking but Neway I'm moving across the Atlantic soon.

Hazz

That's another reason of my permanent move to north America as I've seen the time when we have the most replica friendly customs in the world. Alas time have changed now.

You can only move if I am invited for a visit

nunu78

You can only move if I am invited for a visit

You are more then welcome my friend, I owe you big time.

trailboss99

So is the best way to get a Rep via airmail? I would imagine that is a costly process and do the likes of WI do this kind of service?

S

Not at all mate, in fact it's far cheaper than EMS. Some dealers even offer free airmail shipping.

sherbert79

So is the best way to get a Rep via airmail? I would imagine that is a costly process and do the likes of WI do this kind of service?

S

Not at all mate, in fact it's far cheaper than EMS. Some dealers even offer free airmail shipping.

I do like the sound of that, does it take longer then?

Scott

greg_r

S

I do like the sound of that, does it take longer then?

Scott

Generally yes, but it's not usually that slow to the UK. My last watch came from Timesshop & arrived in about 8-9 days from despatch via airmail...

aksingh

How much tracking info is with airmail? And if it gets lost is it usual practice for TDs to refund/resend or is it all on you? Thanks!

greg_r

No tracking (at least none that's useful for those in the UK - it only tracks as far as leaving China). Makes no difference to me as I never bother to look at it anyhow. As for re-sending, I suggest you ask your dealer of choice as their policies may differ.