Sign in to follow this  
Cynikal.Mindset

7750 Reversing Wheel Fix *backyard DIY style*

Cynikal.Mindset

Okay first off here I take no responsibility for any damages that may occur from doing this fix as it was quite experimental for myself and since I really had nothing to lose in doing it I went for it YMMV.

Okay so my Breitling 6.75 has had a gummed up reversing wheel for ages and you know how those are...a pain in the rear end! The watch has some other issues and really needed a new movement anyways so if I buggered this fix up I wasn't losing anything anyways.

First here is what I employed to be the solution:

Dry Lube made by Kent (I had a can left over from when a dealership I was at was axed by GM) Kent Dry Lube

This lube leaves a waxy type film when it dries just like lubeta v105 (which is the correct lubricant for the reversing wheel) and since I didn't have any nor did I want to spend any money on something that might fix the problem I used what I had as it was pretty similar in the way it acted as a lubricant.

So...caseback off, movement exposed in all its glory I sprayed a good amount in to a plastic cap and employed a q-tip for application to the reversing wheel while still under the winding bridge...cuz fuck, I'm not taking apart more shit just to probably break it beyond all fixing.

I applied a liberal amount (for sure more than needed) and wound the stem and I could feel it freeing up...so I put some more and made sure I really got those gears in there...gave a few more winds and it was smooth as butter.

I left it to dry for 20-30min and air out before putting everything back together and I'll be damned if it worked!

It worked like a dream, better than I could have imagined, no more rotor trying to spin when wound by hand, no more excessive force needed to wind the crown...it was like it was a new movement!

this was 5 days ago now...everything still works and functions like it should, watch winds via rotor movement and crown winds just great and smooth.

Is this the right way? NO

Should you do this? If you have nothing to lose, sure!

Will it work forever? probably not

The key factors in me choosing to use this was it was safe for plastics, fabrics, metals and contained no silicone and that it dries fast and leaves behind a waxy film as its lubrication.

Thats it, that's all...I now await the seasoned watchsmiths to come in and give me shit

*hides*

HWG

Thanks for sharing your experience, glad you got a decent result. :)

dalboy

Like you say, the movement had issues other than this and so you had nothing to lose..

It may not be the correct way to go and watchsmiths are as we speak shaking their collective heads, but if it works short term fine , should it last a little longer, thats fine ..suck it and see !!..it may surprise the hell out you and us and work forever ahmen..

Good on ya..

Dal..............

10:10 Watch Repair

that's a great contribution. According to NAWCC and Alliance Horlogere, you can use 9010 suspended in Benzene.