Sign in to follow this  
digger2

What is the deepest you have taken a gen or a rep? Record thread

digger2

I am planning for deep encounters in the future.

I would like to start this thread for your deepest watch pics and I hope to beat them in the future when going to 2000ft or something like that when I meet our godchildren in next time visit to La Ceiba Honduras.

jcglobal

The deepest is while washing my hands, then a plunge in a 140 degree oven to dry it out.

But never had one modified either.

KeNnY

a DSSD modded by me was wore by my friend to 30 meters under sea

2012-08-31.jpg

digger2

The deepest is while washing my hands, then a plunge in a 140 degree oven to dry it out.

But never had one modified either.

Haha, great answer... I will try to get Breitling to sponsor my trip, let's see if that is possible

digger2

Kenny, you are the present leader! Almighty judge Digger...

KeNnY

Kenny, you are the present leader! Almighty judge Digger...

hope I will beat that record with my Hublot Oceanographic 4000M diver soon :lol:

Thank you almighty judge sir :bow:

Bobbylah

Sorry, just a rec diver so only about 42m. 16610 gen

Mystery Shopper

Yeah, the deepest recreational divers can go is about 35m (about 120ft). I did the PADI course.

I don't use reps on dives and look forward to use my Squale over summer.

offshore

@ScottM. Yep 120' is a good cut off point for rec divers. I was a FAUI instructor, and VP of the local Cave Diving Assoc.(back when)

Have been to 260' (approx 80M) breathing air, in fresh water. This is the limit on air...at this point the partial pressure of oxygen can induce O2 poisoning.

The watch was an old Waltham divers from back in the '70's, depth reached whilst caving in "The Shaft" in Mount Gambier, SA.

We also messed around with some mixed gas diving, and I had the same watch to around 320' on heli -ox.

I can't remember the tie up, but Blancpain had something to do with the Waltham watches...maybe they built the case.

That same watch had previously flooded at 180', due to the case back distorting, and the watchmaker we used then got hold of another case back, redid all the seals, and I never had a moments problem again.

i would think anyone who has had a watch deeper, wet, would have been commercial diving on gas, as it was only silly buggers like us who pushed the limits like that using air. These were obviously bounce dives, but narcosis was an issue over about 160' and we had almost 1 hour decompression in water to get back to the surface.

Don't even remember now what happened to that old watch...thats a couple of marriages back...it probably disappeared with a lot of my other chattels! :)

Offshore

digger2

offshore, great stories and you are the obvious leader with over 100 meters, that's really cool! The deepest I have dived is about 24 meters and that was just because my hired dive master went there on a drift dive outside Cancun, I'm really scared of deep waters without a pony bottle and a dive master next to me.... (I am planning of cheating and put my Breit outside the sub)

offshore

Dunno whether all that shows is how silly we were back then!

Anyone diving that deep has to be short of a few brain cells.

For my deep diving sins I ended up with bone necrosis in 1981, and was told to stop diving or have my arms removed if I continued.

Needless to say I stopped blowing bubbles then and there.

O/S

Member X

How do you get bone necrosis through diving?! :blink:

offshore

Here is the non medical version-

Its called "Silent bends". The blood vessels feeding the bone marrow get blocked by tiny nitrogen bubbles...not big enough to give you "bends", but enough to stop oxygen getting to the marrow, and it slowly dies. A result of pushing decompression to the limits. There was some remedial work carried out with recompression, and then it was recommended to cease diving.

O/S

trailboss99

I believe the rep record is currently held by a FakeyMariner, I'll need to find the thread next door to tell you how deep and IIRC the exact depth at with it gave up and flooded is unknown. Let me go check.

ron76

I was wearing a Swatch when I hit rockbottom in my younger years, does that count?

scorpion

My Rolex Sub from Silix went right to the bottom of the Sea - well actually it was my fish tank :giggle: but at least that's deeper than the kitchen sink!

Most of my gens are marked to 100m, 4 at 200m one at 300m and one at 500m, guess these will all be fine diving in my fish tank!

trailboss99

Oke, found the details. The watch was taken down by a saturation diver and it got to almost 150m before starting a slow flood. Let's call it 130 metres shall we? I'd say any rep Rolex tool watch (barring manufacturing defects) should be capable of the same or better if prepared correctly as an FM is hardly the top of the rep tree.

scorpion

Oke, found the details. The watch was taken down by a saturation diver and it got to almost 150m before starting a slow flood. Let's call it 130 metres shall we? I'd say any rep Rolex tool watch (barring manufacturing defects) should be capable of the same or better if prepared correctly as an FM is hardly the top of the rep tree.

Ah but without pics it never happened :giggle:

nickee_2dS

I am planning for deep encounters in the future.

I would like to start this thread for your deepest watch pics and I hope to beat them in

the future when going to 2000ft or something like that when I meet our godchildren in next time visit to La Ceiba Honduras.

Oh...I think approx 5 cm (+/- 4cm) :help3:

offshore

I recall now someone on the original RWG sent a sub case only down on the end of a fishing line.

Now from memory it was 500', and it didn't flood. Don't think it was 500M.

Wait until Dems comes along, he will remember that test.

Again, a dim memory but it was in the USA, maybe out of Florida.

O/S

cvp3

8.5 inches. And she wasn't happy about it. Wait.....what was the question?

scorpion

8.5 inches. And she wasn't happy about it. Wait.....what was the question?

2 lmfao.gif

SteveA

@ScottM. Yep 120' is a good cut off point for rec divers. I was a FAUI instructor, and VP of the local Cave Diving Assoc.(back when)

Have been to 260' (approx 80M) breathing air, in fresh water. This is the limit on air...at this point the partial pressure of oxygen can induce O2 poisoning.

The watch was an old Waltham divers from back in the '70's, depth reached whilst caving in "The Shaft" in Mount Gambier, SA.

We also messed around with some mixed gas diving, and I had the same watch to around 320' on heli -ox.

I can't remember the tie up, but Blancpain had something to do with the Waltham watches...maybe they built the case.

That same watch had previously flooded at 180', due to the case back distorting, and the watchmaker we used then got hold of another case back, redid all the seals, and I never had a moments problem again.

i would think anyone who has had a watch deeper, wet, would have been commercial diving on gas, as it was only silly buggers like us who pushed the limits like that using air. These were obviously bounce dives, but narcosis was an issue over about 160' and we had almost 1 hour decompression in water to get back to the surface.

Don't even remember now what happened to that old watch...thats a couple of marriages back...it probably disappeared with a lot of my other chattels! :)

Offshore

Havent been diving myself due to ear problems,however have been to Mt Gambier a very beautiful dormant volcano I believe.Once drove right along the coast through Maclarenvale etc ,down to Port Macdonald etc stopped off at some lovely places and spent New Years night in a little Italian in Mt Gambier with the owners private party it was great,20 yrs ago.

Member X

Here is the non medical version-

Its called "Silent bends". The blood vessels feeding the bone marrow get blocked by tiny nitrogen bubbles...not big enough to give you "bends", but enough to stop oxygen getting to the marrow, and it slowly dies. A result of pushing decompression to the limits. There was some remedial work carried out with recompression, and then it was recommended to cease diving.

O/S

eek! :blink:

Cool that a rep sub has reached 130m+, though :) The DJII teardown thread on RWI had the watch tested reach 120m with no hassle, IIRC!

Cynikal.Mindset

bottom of various swimming pools and about 15-20ft in the ocean while swimming with sting rays