Sign in to follow this  
gottahaverolex

DSSD caseback o-ring

gottahaverolex

Hey all,

My DSSD arrived today to my surprise, tracking showed it still in the air!. Anyway, it is just as awesome as I hoped it would be, BUT, as usual there is an issue. It was DOA whan I took it out of the box, shook the shit out of it, wound it by hand....NOTHING! Fuck it, I'm opening this bitch and to my surprise the reason it would not run is because the caseback o-ring was shredded and wrapped around the rotor. So I carefully pulled out the pices and she started right up, WOOHOO! But, now I need a replacement o-ring because the two piece caseback rattles and will not tighten right without it. I was wondering if anyone has a micrometer to check thier case for me or knows the size of the o-ring I need? It's much smaller than the other rollies because it seals on the titanium center and not on the outside edge as usual. If you have a spare o-ring that would be swell too! Please give me any input you can. I am guessing Josh will not bother sending me a o-ring so I'd rather try to take care of it on my own. I have a horological supply warehouse about 45 minuted from me but I need to know the right size, thanks.

-GHR

Edited by gottahaverolex

greg_r

I would have thought that Josh would happily send you a spare o-ring if you asked him. Whether the o-ring is the same on the Ultimate version as it is on the earlier releases I dunno. Unfortunately, I have a DeepSea (albeit the cheapie version), but not a working micrometer (I bust my digital micrometer a couple months back and haven't gotten around to replacing it), so I'm afraid I can't help. Sorry.

trailboss99

GHR: Take a piece of the old ring and the watch into your local bearing supply place and ask for one to fit. They'll mic it up for you and get the diamerter from the old ring. Prob be a tenth of the price as well. Since it will be something different they won't even begrudge all the work for a cpl of rings (buy at least one spare of cause). Write down the part # for future reference as well.

Mind you I'm jelous of the supply house 45 min away. The closest I am aware of here is about ten hours away in Sydney! They just not be your cheapest and best alturnitive this time round. Prob a bearing place closer as well.

NB: While the gen ring may have a flat profile from scratch the o ring from bearing place will need to flaten out as the back screws down. The guys there will know that and should supply a ring just ever so slightly larger than the OD of the ring arround which it sits (or ID of the ring if its inside a guide ring) this gives a little room for expansion as it flatens out. It is important to use sillcon grease on the ring wether you intend it to be water proof or not. The ring is in contact with the case back for quite a while as the back flatens it and lube is important to make shure the caseback slides smoothly on the ring as it is screwed down. Whatch the gap between the case and back to determin when the back is all the way down it's thread and, of cause, don't force anything. Once done the ring will stay flat if the back is removed.

Col.

gottahaverolex

Thanks fo the help guys. I am just going to take a ride to the supply house on Monday and try o-rings until they fit. I want it to be right because I plan on getting this badboy wet this summer. All of my rollies have been very watertight after silicon has been applied to the caseback and crown stem o-rings. Thanks again for the help!

Edited by gottahaverolex

JohnG

A little rubber cement should do it.

Luthier

Few pictures from our trusted dealers Deep Sea Dweller sites.

Both claims it's the best ever Sea Dweller, absolute copy of genuine.

One has clasp with rachet, another one - without rachet.

Which one is "copy of genuine"?

Rachet.jpg

NoRachet.jpg

greg_r

The gen has the ratchet adjustment

Luthier
The gen has the ratchet adjustment

Ahhaaa... now I know.

Thanks, Greg!

JohnG

Okay, this is an O-ring thread - BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE. Either start a new thread on ratchet clasps or hijack a thread in OT.

anisig.gif

greg_r

cheeky sod. This is a SDDS thread. So there :lol:

JohnG

THREAD TITLE: DSSD caseback o-ring

Please confine conversation to this topic. We like a friendly respectful forum here gentlemen. Please don't make me warn you guys again...

anisig.gif

greg_r
THREAD TITLE: DSSD caseback o-ring

I'd like to say just one thing, and I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart.....

bugger off

:lol:

JohnG

I think it is time to lock and bin this thread.

I think Greg needs a little time-out too. And maybe a good spanking.

greg_r

:lol:

Have you been eating those funny mushrooms again?

Luthier

:)

Have you been eating those funny mushrooms again?

Did he ever stop?

onzenuub

Eating of muhrooms is not more allowed!!!

gottahaverolex
Few pictures from our trusted dealers Deep Sea Dweller sites.

Both claims it's the best ever Sea Dweller, absolute copy of genuine.

One has clasp with rachet, another one - without rachet.

Which one is "copy of genuine"?

Rachet.jpg

NoRachet.jpg

Mine has the ratchet. I couldn't figure out how to open it until you posted the pic Luthier! Thanks for the pointer! I am very pleased with the watch overall, the ceramic insert does have slight imperfections but unless you look for the slightly crooked 40 you won't see it. Going to the horology store tomorrow to get me some new orings and then she's takin a bath! Already siliconed the 3 crwon tube/stem orings, that's right 3! It'll be waterproof for sure. :Drinking2: