Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

The Rolex Day Date that got me into this mess....

greg_r

It wasn't desperately expensive and wasn't even my first rep - that was a two-tone datejust bought in around 2000. It wasn't my second rep either - that was a SS datejust bought when I decided that the two-tone one was too blingy for me. It was, however, the one that just seemed 'right' the day I put it on. Other than to sleep and shower I didn't take it off again for around 7 years.

The watch I'm talking about is a rep Rolex Presidential Day/Date in SS with a stick dial. Of course, the gen wasn't available in SS, coming in white gold or platinum only (unless you want TT or gold), but that didn't really matter. I don't wear yellow (or rose) gold very often - even my wedding ring is white gold so it suited me better than the TT option, and I loved the extra complexity of the dial over the standard DJ. It was a keeper, resulting in the sale of several other watches (including a gen Tag) that I no longer wore even in rotation.

However, by 2008, the watch was showing signs of wear - and then the stem broke. It hadn't cost that much, so I decided to replace it rather than spend money on it (not to mention time and effort trying to find someone who would work on reps).

So, I started to look online... ...and found RWG - which, when it crashed and burned six months later, I ended up resurrecting with the help of Col and a few others. So: this watch is responsible for getting me in this mess. You'd think I'd have gone off it wouldn't ya? ;)

Although I found RWG whilst looking for another SS day/date, I never actually replaced like with like. I briefly had a cheapie version which was pretty unsatisfactory and I also have a DDII, but the classic day/date never got replaced as I was distracted by other goodies. My original watch sat in my spares box, looking forlorn.

Anyhow, I've recently started doing a little work on my own watches, so decided I would have a crack at repairing the day/date. Firstly was the good news - I was intending to replace the whole movement, but when I looked at it it turned out that the stem was broken, but that was the only real problem. Otherwise the watch was still working well. A replacement stem later and the movement was back in business.

I also had a cheapie DJ lying around that had been DOA and I'd saved for parts - so because the DD was looking a bit tatty I ended up using the best parts from the two watches to make one good one. A final polishing and it was good to go. The remaining issue is the bracelet, which I am going to have to replace. The whole thing is fairly beaten up, a couple of the 'fixed' links needed glueing back together and the clasp is coming apart - I've gotten it to hold for now, but it's not going to last. I've got a pal in China sourcing me one, so hopefully I'll have it soon.

It's good to have the old girl running again - I know I could buy a much better rep of the same model for a couple of hundred, but it was my favourite (indeed my only) watch for a good few years and whilst it now has competition from around 40 other watches in my collection, I'd like to think it'll last a few more.

Here's a couple of pics:

rolexdd.JPG

rolexdd_w.JPG

HWG

Nice little piece of history there. Thanks for sharing, and its good to see it up and running again for you!

Distinct

Gorgeous watch and this is the first model, years back that I was ever introduced to as a replica that I could not believe was a replica.

Pmcclean18

Nice story and nice watch :-)

solkryssare

She is still a looker!

Luthier

Although I've heard this story 742 times already - nice to see the pictures of your Holy Grail, Boss.

:D

Why didn't you ask me about the clasp or bracelet??? It would be delivered from my "pal" in China, with proper QC...

;)

Beautiful watch, I have the same, and love it very much!!!

greg_r

LOL - yeah, I know the old hands will know this story, but I haven't bored the newer guys to death with it yet, so I figured it was time :D . It's nice to get it working again.

Re the bracelet - never even thought about it, to be honest. My pal is due back in the UK next week, so should be bringing it with him. Thanks for the offer, though :)

jeffw69

36mm?

greg_r

Yep

jeffw69

damn, that be tiny.

greg_r

Wears bigger than it sounds, actually, but yes they're small compared with modern fashions. I still think that the design works better at 36/37mm than it does at 41, though. I like my DDII, but the proportions have never quite felt right. I've also got a 37mm DJ that I wear fairly often along with a 39mm vintage 'tona...

Member X

Wears bigger than it sounds, actually, but yes they're small compared with modern fashions. I still think that the design works better at 36/37mm than it does at 41, though. I like my DDII, but the proportions have never quite felt right.

I do hate to agree on this point because I love my DDII :wub: but there is something inherently more 'right' with the original size!

It's just a bit small for my tastes ;)

Mazz

Great story and pics to go with it :D

Del

Well done getting it working again - still looks terrific! :thumbsup2:

YoungGPS

Nice to look back at what started the addiction. With the bonus that the very first is still working. Thanks for sharing. Hope I was able to do the same with my first rep. :thumbsup2:

andepad

Classic look!

Glad you got it working again... ;-))

vonlimmel

Thank you for sharing, really enjoyed the story. Luckily we own watches like this, that mean more to us because of their sentimental value - if it weren’t for them we would likely spend even more on new reps :unsure: .

In my experience, there is something about the DD (mine is a DDII) that just seems to allay the desire to move on to the next watch in your rotation. The timeless and elegant design of course. And then, it is not only the ultimate business and dress watch, it also goes great with jeans (mine has the blue dial), it is not out of place at the gym, or at the beach/pool for a swim, and as I get older, it is one of the few dials where I can still easily read the day and the date ;). For all these reasons it is also my favorite watch to take on vacation, so it goes full circle and I can wear it for weeks without looking at anything else.

decus

Ohhhh! If only I could get me hands on one of those- I'd be happy for a couple 'a weeks. :help3:

Bob Reed

I love the DD and I too like the 36mm version. If you look at my post with the pic of the Sub I just got you will see 2 of the DD's I bought in 2000. My next purchase is all picked out with watchinternatoinal. :)

bicismith

looks great....i regret finding this site. sorry about the wallet, that sort of thing. already got a DSSD from bk. your ddII is exactly what I want next. the torture, having to wait to order until after the first week of OCT because they have the nerve to take a vacation!

o, wait, a pam111 is arriving later this week so hopefully that'll tide me over...

Edited by bicismith