Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Homage mini Fiddy w/GloInc. superlume

KBH

Packed as much V10 ultra green as I could in this one. My first lume job so hope you all get a good laugh. I was trying for the vintage resin filled indices look. Hands are done with GloInc's lume paint for watches. Hands were stripped and spray painted with a can of gold paint from my garage. It gave them a pretty nice vintage look, I think.

DSCN3798.jpg

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

DSCN3805.jpg

DSCN3806.jpg

DSCN3807.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg

DSCN3810.jpg

DSCN3814.jpg

DSCN3821.jpg

JoeyB

I like it. I think I'm going to make one later in the year if my current project works.

greg_r

Not bad for a first attempt :drool:

sconehead

Looks good to me KB...watch from Tse?

KBH

Case, hands and dial were from Getat.

sconehead

Didn't know Tat did the mini-fiddy...what did the parts cost you?

PatronSaintofChainsaws
I was trying for the vintage resin filled indices look.

I'm working on a tutorial for applying resin without having it bleed onto the dial. Once I finish it (probably tomorrow) I'll repost it over here.

Hands are done with GloInc's lume paint for watches. Hands were stripped and spray painted with a can of gold paint from my garage. It gave them a pretty nice vintage look, I think.

Excellent idea...they look damn good, IMHO.

KBH
Didn't know Tat did the mini-fiddy...what did the parts cost you?

I think you're right. Maybe it was Jackson Tse. The titanium was $10 more than the SS. I think it was $45.

The dial and hands were from Getat, around another $30. The movement was the old one from my Pam 183.

Member X

Very nice job!

sconehead

Any wristies?

mad dawg

The gold paint on the hands is a great idea.

Let me guess, did you apply the lume from the underside of the dial (same technique for applying to hands)?

MD

trailboss99

Let me guess, did you apply the lume from the underside of the dial (same technique for applying to hands)?

MD

Sandwich dial so the lume is applied to the back plate.

Yup, the hands turned out realy great!

Col.

mad dawg

MD

Sandwich dial so the lume is applied to the back plate.

Yup, the hands turned out realy great!

Col.

As per above, I did a lume job by applying to the underside of the front plate. This method fills the indices with lots of lume and it glows really well.

MD

trailboss99

Ahhhh! Tricky!

Never thought of that, nice little idea.

Col.

graman

Liking the idea of glowinc more and more....

KBH

MD

Originally I was going to put this on a Molnia 3601 so I wanted a thinner dial. What I did was use a piece of aluminum foil. First I painted it lightly with the lume paint. this was really more to attach the foil to the back of the dial. While still wet I dabbed a mixture of clear varnish and the heavy 35 - 55 micron V10 ultra green onto the foil in all the spots that needed filling. Then I mashed the dial down onto the foil to fill the indeces. Turned it over and poured a little of the finer grained ultra green on top of the numbers to help fill in and smooth out the grain of the lume. Then carefully brushed away the particles off the rest of the dial and gave it 2 coats of matte finish clear spray. Very easy to trim the foil when finished.

Rather unorthodox method, I'm sure.

I ended up, at least for now, using it with an old 6497 movement until the Molnia hands are ready. Waiting for Okabum's vintage hands in a bout 2 weeks.

I'm not real sure I like the mini-fiddy case. That sucker is way too hard to wind. It's easier and faster to take the CG off for winding.

Sconey - Wrist shot will be coming soon....

dingle

awesome skills KBH.....watch and camera. One day I want to be like you. :lol:

where did you get the strap from?

AustinTech

So very cool!

I love the textured look.

sconehead

KB, I was looking at okabums hands, doesn't DSN do molnija hands cheaper though, or is the quality inferior?

KBH
awesome skills KBH.....watch and camera. One day I want to be like you. :lol:

Thanks, DB. In another 30 years or so you might well be. I'm not sure I'd be looking forward to it, though.

Member Vdubpower on RG made one and had enough leather left to make one more. I liked his so he made it for me. 27mm x 24mm, really made for a Radiomir.

dingle
awesome skills KBH.....watch and camera. One day I want to be like you. :thumbsup:

Thanks, DB. In another 30 years or so you might well be. I'm not sure I'd be looking forward to it, though.

Member Vdubpower on RG made one and had enough leather left to make one more. I liked his so he made it for me. 27mm x 24mm, really made for a Radiomir.

how much?

KBH
KB, I was looking at okabums hands, doesn't DSN do molnija hands cheaper though, or is the quality inferior?

You know I really don't know what Okabum's price is. May be a deal breaker if too expensive.

I found that DSN when you include freight and cost of moneygram/moneybookers is way too expensive on small parts. I was looking for a replacement crown and tube for my 183 and he wanted (as I recall) about $30 + shipping. Then add about $20 for moneygram and I could have bought a whole watch from Robert. Ended up getting it from Ruby for a couple of $$.

When I asked DSN if there was any other way I could pay him that was cheaper, he basically told me to Fuck Off. Maybe that's one other reason why I'm not in love with Panerai.

sconehead

On the homage forum he wants 30 euro including shipping, about $50 or so?

edit: nightwatch does DSN hands for an extra $25 when he does the bridge work, not sure if he sells the seperately though. Think I'll pm him about it...

KBH
awesome skills KBH.....watch and camera. One day I want to be like you. :thumbsup:

how much?

$60 Why, you want to buy it? :clap: