Sign in to follow this  
kinjomusashi

2 Watches, Same Problem...Please HELP!

kinjomusashi

Hi guys,

I really hope someone can offer me some help, advice, etc.

I'm having a big problem with both my Noob Factory DSSD and Noob Factory LV. Both have Asian ETA 2836 and ceramic bezels. Both watches are only a few months old and I've never opened them or got them serviced.

When I manually wind the watches, after about 6-8 rotations of the crown, I hear a sound. The best I can describe what it sounds like is a spring being wound and then suddenly being released/unwound, releasing all it's energy. I wind it again, and the same thing happens.

The LV has always been doing this since I got it. Also, it will stop with the second hand stuck at 12 about once a day. Picking it up, shaking, or winding usually makes it start again.

The DSSD has never done this until today.

The power reserve in the LV usually lasts less than one day. The DSSD usually lasts about 2+days, but don't know about now. Both watches are kept in a watch winder.

Anyway, I'm pretty upset about this and was hoping someone might be able to tell me what is wrong with them and suggestions on how to fix them or get them serviced. Unfortunately, I still haven't received my Rolex case opening tool so I can't look at the movement or provide pictures.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has experienced this with these watches...

onionbag

An adult will be along in a minute.

ron76

Sounds like a broken mainspring, but someone with more knowledge will soon chip in.

hnic

just bad luck ?!

RichardMiami

Follow Hazz' advice. Go to 10:10 (Chris in LA) or the Wiz (in France) - any further attempts to mess with the watches will only make things worse.

Hazz

you could also try Hazz in UK but he can't guarantee a fix, just loves tinkering about :)

Silverspeed

My guess is crappy reversing gears, very common with Asian 2836/2824.....rough winding, poor power reserve. Solution would be replacing the Asian reversing gears for the Swiss gears.....

The sticking hands on the LV sounds like a different issue, it's either touching a marker or the hands don't have enough clearance

kinjomusashi

Follow Hazz' advice. Go to 10:10 (Chris in LA) or the Wiz (in France) - any further attempts to mess with the watches will only make things worse.

For sure mate, I've been down that road before and have resulted in a few fatalities....Looks easy until you try it yourself so I best leave it to the experts. Hard lessons learned as they say...

kinjomusashi

Wow, thanks for all the useful comments so far!

A member on another forum gave me the advice below and was wondering if you all agree?...

Do they stop on your wrist if worn?

I wouldn't keep winding these movements, they are automatic movements made to stay wound from wearing and movement not from manual winding.

You could do damage to these movements by constantly manually winding them, a shake will do a better job of getting one going you know.

The problem may be your winder and not the watch at all.

Sounds like good advice, but extra verification never hurts...

Edited by kinjomusashi

10:10 Watch Repair

Sounds like someone who doesn't understand how a movement works to me.

Member X

Wow, thanks for all the useful comments so far!

A member on another forum gave me the advice below and was wondering if you all agree?...

Do they stop on your wrist if worn?

I wouldn't keep winding these movements, they are automatic movements made to stay wound from wearing and movement not from manual winding.

You could do damage to these movements by constantly manually winding them, a shake will do a better job of getting one going you know.

The problem may be your winder and not the watch at all.

Sounds like good advice, but extra verification never hurts...

Personally speaking, I never wind my automatic watches. Face down in your palm, swirl them round anticlockwise, and they will start up. Then just set the time and date (taking care to set the time to around 6 o'clock before changing the date, to avoid any issues with the date mechanism engaging near midnight), then strap them on and wear them.

10:10 Watch Repair

Personally speaking, I never wind my automatic watches. Face down in your palm, swirl them round anticlockwise, and they will start up. Then just set the time and date (taking care to set the time to around 6 o'clock before changing the date, to avoid any issues with the date mechanism engaging near midnight), then strap them on and wear them.

An automatic watch is a manual watch with an automatic winding module. All the parts are there for either hand winding OR automatic.

The slipping mainspring mechanism invented by Patek Phillipe prevents overwinding. Most likely what the OP is hearing is the mainspring bridle slipping from one barrel notch to the next when it's fully wound.

Your watch should get 40 hours of more power reserve. I wouldn't sweat a rep that gets 30 hours or more though.