Sign in to follow this  
SIIFE

Ignorance Was Bliss

SIIFE

So I joined this forum fairly recently and have kept fairly quiet so far. I find that I have had lots to learn and little to contribute at the time. I am about to make my first purchase from a TD and I thought sharing a little about my decision making process would both help me verify some of my findings and reasoning and spark some conversation and opinion sharing.

So I began by quickly making the decision that I wanted either a Navitimer or Bentley 6.75. The next step for me was simple then. Just do a little research and figure which is the "best" watch for me. Well that research taught me a lot about what to expect from these reps (Sunken DW, fonts, color, bezel). Are these things I can live with? Well they were until I learned about them! I know the OCD in me will now not let me ignore them now. It also introduced me to the term “super rep”. Well, now I want a super repJ Neither of these two seems to be considered a super rep.

At this point I am fairly sure I want to stick with a Breitling so eventually I am introduced to the Super Avenger. Lots of great comments about this rep (although maybe not quite super rep status) and the watch itself is great. So more research regarding these reps in a process not necessarily to find and particular answers but to discover the questions I want answered. So I find some great reviews and learn about this rep (V2 vs V3, wings, lume dots, 12 marker, batons vs stencil etc.) OCD again!

Ha ha, so reasonable-Me has to tell myself to remember that I am buying a rep and if I can’t deal with these things then get a gen.

So time to end the story. I am introduced to this “Fanken” concept and my decision is:

SA

V3 (not quite sure if TDs use this designation and if it consistent across factories) for the double AR and bezel lume dots

Gen white dial batons

Off for service, lube, WR test and dial swap.

DONE!

Cyril_Clunge

Welcome, my SA says hello :)

sa4.jpg

BadPickle

Good choice!!! And welcome,

Hope the frustration Vs the OCD doesn't tear you apart!!

I'm sure you'll love it when it comes, it'll be unique and yours, even with minor flaws. That'll make it just a little bit more special.

Or you could just sell it in M2M (or PM me first)

Good luck. And don't forget to post pics

877706C2-C539-4E56-97B1-718AC25138BF-4260-0000074D8AFE5BF0.jpg

myaz

Dang it, we need more people like you: Done the right way.

I sure hope you get a good one and no DOA for all your efforts. Sheeeesh! :thumbsup2:

conx

RWG=OCD, QED

Cyril_Clunge

Oh and by the way, there is only one factory making SA reps and the only one you'll get from the TDs is a V3 so don't worry about getting the wrong one.

hnic

welcome and great choice

Olig7475

enjoy this site, reading and learning about these watches has been half the fun for me and there is so much great info on this site.... remember the search bar is your friend.

Welcome

Edited by Olig7475

SIIFE

Thanks for the welcomes.

Good to know Cyril, thanks.

This is fun indeed. I see potential for this to become a very involved hobby for me.

YoungGPS

Great Choice!

animierte-gifs-image_welcome_spinning.gif

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, Välkommen and Welcome.

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!!

Corv99

SA is Great choice, had blacksteel which I moved on, but kept my other (see below) and tempted for a white dial version now

also check out the Skyland which I think is a top Rep, love mine!

My SA .... swinging Dogs!!

DSC03082.jpg

Skyland - Grey Dial yumminess!

DSC03076.jpg

SIIFE

Aw heck! This piece keeps getting more beautiful the more of them I see. I do believe a gen bezel is a requisite now. Are there any considerations that need attention when acquiring a bezel (springs, screws, etc.)?

Edited by SIIFE

Jorge-(WhoreHay)

Of course there are considerations, chief among them is "how much disposable income would you part ways without any feelings of guilt for neglecting your wife/children/family? :rofl:

Luthier

Welcome to the forum, and congrats with good choice... if you have at least 7 3/4" wrist...

;)

White dial is the best choice, IMHO. I'm not sure about gen. one, and about gen. bezel... it will be a replica anyway. I'm very happy with my white/numbers.

It's V1, and I don't care about V2, V3, etc. Watch itself is very beautiful.

05-16.jpg

03-15.jpg

DSCF0005-5.jpg

Kal-el

welcome mate, great choice on the watches. I hope you enjoy your stay :D

PS. Once you get your first watch the addiction begins muhuhuhahaha...

UmpaHimself

Nice choice. I think if more junior members go for "super reps" or the higher end stuff instead of Silix specials they would be much more intrigued by the hobby. My first two were PO 42mm special and Tag Carrera DD both from Mary and both AMAZING watches. Got me waaay pumped for the next arrivals.

Member X

Nice choice. I think if more junior members go for "super reps" or the higher end stuff instead of Silix specials they would be much more intrigued by the hobby.

+1

I have realised that you may as well go straight for the best as you invariably end up neglecting the cheaper ones once you start buying more expensive ones!

Although I appreciate noob nervousness with regards to sending your money to some random person in China :P lol

Grimmi

By far one of my favourites! Nice choice...

And welcome :)

slask111

So I joined this forum fairly recently and have kept fairly quiet so far. I find that I have had lots to learn and little to contribute at the time. I am about to make my first purchase from a TD and I thought sharing a little about my decision making process would both help me verify some of my findings and reasoning and spark some conversation and opinion sharing.

So I began by quickly making the decision that I wanted either a Navitimer or Bentley 6.75. The next step for me was simple then. Just do a little research and figure which is the "best" watch for me. Well that research taught me a lot about what to expect from these reps (Sunken DW, fonts, color, bezel). Are these things I can live with? Well they were until I learned about them! I know the OCD in me will now not let me ignore them now. It also introduced me to the term “super rep”. Well, now I want a super repJ Neither of these two seems to be considered a super rep.

At this point I am fairly sure I want to stick with a Breitling so eventually I am introduced to the Super Avenger. Lots of great comments about this rep (although maybe not quite super rep status) and the watch itself is great. So more research regarding these reps in a process not necessarily to find and particular answers but to discover the questions I want answered. So I find some great reviews and learn about this rep (V2 vs V3, wings, lume dots, 12 marker, batons vs stencil etc.) OCD again!

Ha ha, so reasonable-Me has to tell myself to remember that I am buying a rep and if I can’t deal with these things then get a gen.

So time to end the story. I am introduced to this “Fanken” concept and my decision is:

SA

V3 (not quite sure if TDs use this designation and if it consistent across factories) for the double AR and bezel lume dots

Gen white dial batons

Off for service, lube, WR test and dial swap.

DONE!

Well, noob or not. You already know more about Breitling than 98% of the gen owners!