Sign in to follow this  
onzenuub

Comparisons of the DeepSea SeaDweller V2, V3, V4 and the gen

onzenuub

Originally posted by gioarmani7428 at RWI and with his permission reposted over here.

I know this topic for may seem redundant to some, but it still seems to be a matter of great discourse.

Hopefully, this might go a bit beyond repetition in order to illustrate some overlooked facts that I've seemed to notice between these models; quite often these differences tend to go unnoticed, or at the very least, unmentioned by most members in their questioning and reviews of the DSSDs.

I should also give a thank you to 3 members in particular, rustyrussel, accutron67, and Jimbean (as I'm about to use some of their photographs ). I thought these were well shot and their threads were well done which is why I chose them for comparison.

It seems the most often discussed aesthetic differences or discrepancies between the different releases of the DSSD, are the usual; date-window, lume color, bezel thickness, insert font, etc., but there were a few factors beyond these that I thought were of equal importance in deciding which model to buy, and what to do in order to mod it. For instance, the bezel is a bit better on the V2 than the V3, but the V2's HEV looks more like it belongs on a SSD rather than a DSSD, whereas the V3's HEV looks damn-near spot-on.

Now, whether or not you choose to mod your piece is your choice--as some people accept them straight from the box. Below, I chose to point out these differences for observation & comparison sake only. I have no intention of thumbing my nose at one model over the other as they all have pros and cons, but rather to point out what were the deal-breakers for me as to which piece to buy for myself. And the only reason I choose to do this now is because I don't see these points talked about, and if they were important to one person, they might be important to others as to which way to swing their wallet.

I'll skip the V1 of the DSSD, as everyone seems to agree it was a mickey mouse piece.

To begin comparisons, I feel it's best to familiarize one's self with the genuine article, as the best way to list pros and cons between them is to play a game of "spot-the-difference".

The gen:

4227554651_33eb97da32_o.jpg

Let's start with the V2.

Again, most know the obvious differences between the V2 & V3, but for posterity there's a modicum of difference in the thickness and the cut of the bezel between the V2 & V3, and the bezel insert's font being too thick on the V2 as opposed to a too-thin font on the V3.

Too thick:

4227554711_49969b35a5_o.jpg

Too thin:

4228325174_8573bf1861_o.jpg

On the V4, the bezel font is thicker than the V3 (premodded) and a bit closer to the genuine article, but only a slight hair on the thick side (e.g. the "40" & "50") :

4227554811_7f001069f6_o.jpg

4228325260_9e8f0107f6_o.jpg

But what you may not have noticed are other subtleties; such as the dial print. Just as on almost every single dealer/manufacturer's version of the Submariner, these can vary greatly in crispness & sharpness of the dial print's quality, to the actual thickness of the font itself.

Mind you, as far as the crispness and quality of the dial print, these are all fantastic compared to what else if floating around out there, but you will notice the V2's dial print is thicker than what's on the V3. This is most noticeable on the prongs on the crown at 12 o'clock, and on the words DEEPSEA and ROLEX (specifically the horizontal, bottom portion of the "L" in ROLEX).

4227554901_74d934e20f_o.jpg

4228325360_e10fa12298_o.jpg

You'll notice the V3's dial print (in thickness & size) is almost dead-on to the gen:

4228325426_67bcd7d2d5_o.jpg

Another feature that I don't see pointed out, but concerned me as far as my purchase, was the wording "ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE" & "RING LOCK SYSTEM", on the inner ring beneath the crystal. On all the V4's and most of the V3's, this print seems to be engraved into the ring, then painted, as you can observe in the pics below, from the way the light reflects off the indentions left by the engraving:

4228325454_413942557a_o.jpg

4228325504_cebc127159_o.jpg

4227555127_d1357b32df_o.jpg

Now here's the gen again, which you can observe the indentions (if any) are nowhere near what's pressed into the metal rings above

4228325656_a7db23909f_o.jpg

4228325692_cab090afc9_o.jpg

However, there are variances--the latest version of the V3 being shipped out doesn't seem to have this; the words seemed printed/painted directly onto the ring, similar to the gen. Below is my V3 (originally from Andrew). The V2's were quite good in this regard as well:

4227555387_67c86f874a_o.jpg

4227555437_70dc40e7c0_o.jpg

As to the more recent models (since the V2 is practically unavailable except by resell), the one change that is a bit disheartening about the V4 is the misshapen case; the V3 was closer to the gen, but you can see where the case on the V4--which seems a bit too wide--tends to stick out further on the sides compared to the gen or V3:

4228325822_04ba5c05b9_o.jpg

Original V3:

4227555555_1cf344bafb_o.jpg

Recent V3:

4227555603_293e324cae_o.jpg

4227555629_bd8b3395fc_o.jpg

The crownguards also seem too rounded off on the V4. With respect, a good number of the V3's tend to have the proper CG shape, but are just a bit too long. I've recently had to sand down & repolish mine.

All in all, as stated, these are subtle difference of course, but differences I seemed to notice and wondered if anyone else had as well. As far as the overall quality of the DSSDs go, these are uncannily good straight from the box, whichever version you may have or intend to get, and can be made even better with a bit of modding (then again, what can't).

I hadn't seen a thread like this as of yet, so I decided to just throw it out there. Of course, nobody--including ourselves--sees a watch on our wrist with the naked eye the same way we see it in macro photographs (with every little nuance broken down to the lowest common denominator), but God knows we love to pour over them; almost religiously so. So here's a few more for you to obsess about.

All rep pearls suck. Here's the gen:

4228348886_ca0a53a164_o.jpg

4227579167_71df233218_o.jpg

P_Diddy

how does the version that Mary is currently selling , stack up against this review?

WatchInternational

AllergyDoc

She's selling the Ultimate DSSD, the super-duper-fantastico model with the fancy 316F steel! It's the best ever.

P_Diddy

Heard that the Ultimate DSSD has a major flaw with the bezel

RWG2

Comments anyone?

She's selling the Ultimate DSSD, the super-duper-fantastico model with the fancy 316F steel! It's the best ever.
Edited by P_Diddy