Sign in to follow this  
UmpaHimself

New: PAM005 Review (Unknown Factory)

UmpaHimself

Hey Guys,

Finally had a minute to review this watch. A very lovely PAM005 from Mary & Rochest. It is truly a bargain at $230 (not including shipping + fees). I am no pro at distinguishing the differences between gen and rep so I will simply express my thoughts on the watch.

It has the high beat manual wind movement, sapphire crystal w/ clear AR (one side only I believe) and super lume. The watch has a nice heft to it. It feels much more solid than my Marina Militare homage. Although I've never held a PAM in person, I can tell this watch has a very gen like feel and presence to it. Because this watch has no date it winds when all the way in (or position 1) and changes time when pulled out (position 2).

The face looks fantastic on this watch, very clean sausage dial. No sloppy lume. The black minute and hour hands are cut very well and are super clean, no dust or debris. Same with the white seconds which has a nice smooth sweep. Text seems to be very evenly aligned with the dial and very well printed. The "2" in 12 might be SLIGHTLY crooked, maybe a quarter of a millimeter if at all but that was only after I was staring at it for an hour :D

DSC00312_zpsb5e5e46b.jpg

DSC00313_zps8befa99b.jpg

DSC00314_zps9d6708e0.jpg

I'm not sure about the AR because the domed crystal throws me off a bit. I think the AR could be a little better. Would be nice if it was two sided. Even still, the clear AR is much nicer than the blue.

DSC00315_zpsdd47425c.jpg

The strap has the classic "vanilla" smell but it's already starting to subside. Unlike most I really like the rubber strap. I might slightly regret that decision since I was thinking about getting the rep box, which I now know comes with the rubber strap. But the text and designs are very well pressed.

DSC00316_zps72523cf8.jpg

The buckle is very nice too! However, it is screwed (like gen I'm sure). My Marina Militare homage would always come loose so we'll se what happens.

DSC00319_zps3ebf9ce7.jpg

Not sure how the back engravings compare to gen but they seem to be really well done. No crooked or misspelled fonts. The crown is also cut really nicely, with small crisp teeth. The crown guard and lever seem to be a bit on the sharp side but the roller on the lever is very nice and smooth against the crown.

DSC00322_zps7c1a07c3.jpg

The lume is nice. Definitely not super lume but it glows nice and bright for a good hour. I don't know if there is any rep that is out of the box with true super lume. It's just better than standard rep lume.

DSC00344_zpsfa13f03a.jpg

This watch may not be Mr. Crem de la Crem's elite version but it's definitely no Toro beginners either and I must say that for $250 said and done I feel like a million bucks with this thing on my wrist. A great sports watch that will be a perfect daily wearer. Here it is in all it's glory.

DSC00323_zpsfdf26e28.jpg

edwinowl

Good review Umpa looks really good. Wear it well.

dalboy

Umpa !!

One hell of a review mate , nice clear pics too..it looks all good to me mate , and yes has a presence on the wrist no doubt ..

Enjoy it my friend , and wear it well.

Dal.........

UmpaHimself

Thanks guys.

DFH

Looks great, Umpa - really nice, especially for the price. Enjoy it!

Crusader

Nice review mate and great pics, very sharp. Next project: finding suitable leather strap :lol:

Just curious, always wondered.... how do you make a photo with DSLR with left hand, when you're taking photo of your right wrist? Is it possible to hold it with left hand?

B5GLX

Looks great. My first PAM will be either a 005 or 111. It will be a tough choice. As for the screws, I heard a little Loctite Blue works well.

NFleischer

Nice pix- thanks. I think the 005 is probably the best PAM out there.

UmpaHimself

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Just trying to be helpful.

Nice review mate and great pics, very sharp. Next project: finding suitable leather strap :lol:

Just curious, always wondered.... how do you make a photo with DSLR with left hand, when you're taking photo of your right wrist? Is it possible to hold it with left hand?

I honestly don't even know. I was trying to replicate the shot with my new AP and it was not as successful. I am using my father's Sony NEX-7. I'm not sure how it's classified but it's pretty much a mini DSLR so much easier to work with as far as size and weight. But he's got this 50mm f/1.8 mid range lens on it so I had to have the camera at least a foot and a half away :picard: I actually have a strap in mind but it's going to have to wait.

frontpage.jpg

Arism

Nice one mate! Love that last shot.

Wear it in good health mate :)

1littlegreen

Congrats!! Looks great. So it was worth the wait? lol

Kev

Grimmi

Hey thanks for posting that, the 005 is sweet...

Well done and well done on the left handed photography! :D

Corv99

great watch mate ....... good review.

I'm getting Pam bug a bit now... gonna get a few more..

UmpaHimself

I'm pretty interested in a 111 and a 243, I might need another omega first though :D

Corv99

I'm pretty interested in a 111 and a 243, I might need another omega first though :D

My noob 111 on route from states.... then I really fancy a GMT and maybe 253 which is a good rep! black strap blue stitching ... the bollox

Disfin

Nice review. I hit the mall today and looked at a bunch of gens. One thing that struck me was how authentic my rep Pam felt in comparison to the gens. I'm sure you would notice the same. Enjoy your new Pam!

ks653

Great watch... now you need a strap to jazz it up mate... I suggest a Shark.. extremely comfortable! Here's my 111 Noob on a shark..

PAM111-2.jpg

Bobbylah

Really great job on the review and pics Umpa.

I picked up Heavy Krush's 111 and he really did a great job choosing up the strap.

Just got my Omega Ploppy on orange rubber so wearing that like a fiend at the moment but really tempted by that 005. Main reasons are that my wife keeps 'stealing' the 111, and the 111 has the off plumb issue with the writing.

LeandroBR

Excellent pick up Umpa ! Wear it in good health.

Kal-el

Man thats a beautiful watch. Enjoy it my friend and great pictures by the way.

HeavyKrush

Great pick up ump. Love the rubber strap on my 111. Likely just stick with that. It does have a nasty habit of unscrewing one of the strap pins though. Maybe try B5's locktite suggestion.

hnic

great review

watch looks nice

Pams are not for me though (yet)

UmpaHimself

Great watch... now you need a strap to jazz it up mate... I suggest a Shark.. extremely comfortable! Here's my 111 Noob on a shark..

Nice, but not for me. I would go eel first, but not anytime soon.

Really great job on the review and pics Umpa.

I picked up Heavy Krush's 111 and he really did a great job choosing up the strap.

Just got my Omega Ploppy on orange rubber so wearing that like a fiend at the moment but really tempted by that 005. Main reasons are that my wife keeps 'stealing' the 111, and the 111 has the off plumb issue with the writing.

The bomber right? That's actually the exact strap I want.

Man thats a beautiful watch. Enjoy it my friend and great pictures by the way.

Thank you very much.

PAB

Beautiful watch Umpa, Wear it often.

Pams are in a league of their own. Simple yet different & very very classy.

Same with the rubber strap, Simple yet different & very very classy. Keep it that way mate! ;)

Crusader

Just so you know, the leather strap doesn't have to be expensive to be good looking. Here is an example of BOB strap for 33 $, just found out recently about him thanks to Insuhuk :)

http://www.waccex.de...roducts_id=1037

Or Sectime for example, nice few straps, bargain:

http://www.sectime.c...h=321_1457_1460

Edited by Crusader