Sign in to follow this  
watchman12345

Modded 3717 - new arrival!

watchman12345

After much admiration of the 3717 I decided to get one from a TD. It's an amazing watch and rep but I liked it so much there were one or two niggles on the rep that bugged me.

The AR was very blue, and while it is very good AR it didn't sit right with me.

The 12 marker was every so slightly mis-aligned. Again not a big deal but it caught my eye when I looked at the watch.

I heard a lot about Vac modded watches and decided to go ahead and order. Vac is good to deal with, and I would recommend him. However there was a slight point that didn't sit 100% with me. It's minor but for the sake of completeness I'll mention it. When I enquired about the watch I asked about getting a blue hue to the AR as Vacs AR is pretty clear. He said I could have the rep crystal reinstalled instead of his if I liked but he wanted an extra $50 to do that. Fair enough, his call, but I thought it was strange to ask for more money for something which required less work. I initially went with this option and paid for it but decided to go back to his AR as it had a good reputation. He was not interested in any refund so I ended up paying $615 including shipping and paypal fees. So you can appreciate this is not a cheap watch.

Onto the watch. Apologies for the pics I was using an iPhone to snap them.

The initial impression was fantastic. The watch looks amazing, the AR is great and the kevlar strap is actually one of the best rep straps I've come across.

B93DC218-CC58-4EC4-8B8C-3EF76CC97F81-11015-000008A18E9DB29F_zps6681ea68.jpg

The watch is "vac-lumed". It's generally applied very well and the overly thick hour markers are trimmed nicely. There is however some slight unevenness of application which is only visable in strong natural light and under close inspection. Basically not an issue. The lume is great after initial charge up...

Here are two shots after about 20 seconds charging using the iphone flashlight... No tricks just a standard no flash iphone shot...

F8D70B9D-5D59-4124-B4A8-68567AF18BB3-11015-000008A1A756A67A_zpsf3ad297d.jpg

7976781E-39D1-4BDB-B4F0-14953DE6D1FC-11015-000008A281EA1677_zpsc277bb8c.jpg

Now onto the other aspect of the lume... it doesn't last very long. After about 10 minutes it has faded to levels that are just legible in the pitch dark. I've yet to see how long the watch remains legible in the dark, I will update as I wear the watch more. I must say I am a bit disappointed by this. I was expecting superlume performance but I don't think it is.

Another aspect which disappointed me was the fact that the watch was running about 40-60s slow per day when I received it. Now this could definitely be caused by shipping and I have regulated it and it is running almost to COSC specs now. No big deal.

Overall it's a beautiful watch and I am delighted with it. However, it's about twice the price of a non-modded version from a dealer. Is it worth it? Maybe.

On the plus side you get a very well QC'd watch with straight markers, better lume and better AR. On the negative side the lume is not as impressive as I thought it would be and you do loose the slight blue hue of the gen on the AR. The timing issue is unfortunate and I would be pretty confident it was knocked around in shipping as opposed to not regulated. The day is also very slightly mis-aligned but this is a feature on most 7750s, I've even seen gens like this and it's really marginal.

Finally a wrist shot.

AA32B18D-3B0C-41B6-97BB-5DAE3F8ABC35-11015-000008A1B43AFC3C_zpsed4e0d73.jpg

And another.

05B9E58C-627F-4EF3-A9B0-DB03B105469C-11015-000008A19C191C52_zps4afee03d.jpg

The bottom line:

For me I am very fussy about my watches. The price is just about worth it. Vac was fine to deal with and I would buy from him again.

I'll try whip out the DSLR at the weekend and update with better photos.

Thanks for looking.

gogotsnail

Love it .....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sequoia

Ouch. Sounds like he didn't meet your expectations.

10:10 Watch Repair

Now onto the other aspect of the lume... it doesn't last very long. After about 10 minutes it has faded to levels that are just legible in the pitch dark. I've yet to see how long the watch remains legible in the dark, I will update as I wear the watch more. I must say I am a bit disappointed by this. I was expecting superlume performance but I don't think it is.

According to the manufacturer, after a 90 minute charge, Super Luminova will loose more than 90% of it's intensity in about 10 minutes.

YoungGPS

Great pics and review of a beautiful watch!

bs13690-83559-albums-animated-gifs-pic43401-way-go.gif

watchman12345

Thanks guys. I think I was being unfair about the Lume. In the pitch dark it does stay readable for a few hours.

xmartin86x

lovely! i would like to own one of these too

Burnleybezel

Very nice I was eyeing the Gens in Manchester on Thursday. Although the 9k price tag was a little off putting.

B.B

hnic

Nice honest review

thanks for posting

fana05

Should have send it to Kenny, he is great at what he does and he's very professional to deal with and takes care of everything

arancini

Great watch.

One of the few I would stray from PAM for.

Johnniered

Beautiful watch. Simply stunning.

Frazzle

Love this watch, has you considered a bracelet. I love the look of this watch on bracelet!

halcyon

Nice watch. It's my favorite too. Especially with SS.

pa280486.jpg

DeLaForce

Nice!