gioarmani

How to adjust your rep's timing and beat.

gioarmani

May be a bit repetitive and requires a modicum of patience, but it's always worked for me. I currently have six (ETAs 2836-2s & 2671-2s, and Asian 7750s & 7753s) all synched with each other, almost to the exact second.

(Please keep in mind that some people have reported their Asian 7750s have responded opposite--occassioanlly--than what is illustrated below; you'll have to monitor yours to see which is appropriate)

The way I do mine is as follows:

1) Open the digital clock on your computer.

2) Remove the case-back

3) Stop the second hand on the watch by pulling the crown out to the time-set position, to activate the hacking movement (stop the second hand directly at the twelve o'clock position).

4) Then roll the minute hand forward to where it will be, one minute from now.

5) When the digital second hand on the computer reaches 12 o'clock, push the crown back in so the watch & the computer's clock are now synched to the exact hour, minute & second.

6) Put the watch on a winder for a night & compare your watch to the computer's clock after 24 hours to see how far off they are.

7) Pop the caseback. For example, if the watch is now fast by 10 seconds per 24 hours, simply adjust the screw so that it loses 10 seconds for every 24 hours; alternatively, do the opposite, if it's slow by 10 seconds.

(If adjusting via the screw doesn't regulate it enough, on an ETA movement--like the one pictured below--the farther apart you move arms A & B from each other, the longer the stroke, so the slower the watch will run. However, a little goes a long way with this, so use cautiously)

183673-6507.jpg

Each notch towards "+" represents a 5 second gain per 24 hours. Each notch towards "-" represents a 5 second loss per 24 hours. Adjust accordingly

NOTE: For Asian chrono movements, they're slightly different. See the little regulation arm circled in red?:

183673-6508.jpg

If it's running too fast, you'll want to move it to the right (counter-clockwise, as shown with the red arrow below:

183673-6509.jpg

If it's running too slow, you'll want to move it to the left (clockwise & opposite of the red arrow's direction).

The regulation arm on the Asian 7750s & 7753s (sub-dials at 6, 9, & 12 o'clock, or at 3,6, and 9) are very sensitive--they only need to me moved a fraction of an inch at a time; not as much as the picture shows (it's merely an exaggeration to illustrate a point).

8) Now repeat steps 3-7, to test it's accuracy. This should be perfected after a couple of days.

I technically have no way to measure the movement's beat-rate via electronics or machinery, but at this point don't really need or care about that, as long as the watch is keeping the best time it can.

I've now got six synched automatic watches that are so precise, I can literally watch the second hand roll over the 12 o''clock position at the very second when the time on my cell phone (or computer) changes minutes. They're damn near almost exact as digital or quartz watches now.

Note: Depending on what position you store your automatic watch in, will play a role in determining how many seconds it gains or loses every night--this is why I keep them on a winder, so that they are constantly moving and not at rest (in the same position).

If you lay an automatic watch flat & level (with the crystal facing up), it will usually gain a couple of seconds per night. If you lay the watch on its side (with the crown facing down) it will lose a second or two per night. Contrarily, if it's stored on its side (crown facing up), it will generally lose 2 seconds--or more--per night.

EDIT: Chances are, if you've performed all of this and your movement is still too slow or too fast, it's running dry & will probably need a full service. On the bright side, once done, you won't have to touch it again for another five years.

Hope this is of some help to you. Have fun!

greg_r

Gio - you are on one hell of a roll! :)

gioarmani

Thanks!

sconehead

Can't believe this wasn't stickied before, well done Gio...:lol:

DenGNNJ

This is an awesome post! ... thank you!! Because of the info here, I got the confidence to open the back of a 'troublesome' watch and make the adjustment myself. Honestly, I NEVER would have done that before reading this.

KeNnY

can I ask something ? I used this super tutorial to set the correct beat on my Parnis Big Pilot. It was gaining 60 seconds per day ! So I regulated it like on the picture 2 and 3 .When it is on the desk fully winded, it keeps great time like 2 secs per day ! BUt still when I have it on my wrist (and it is fully winded when I shake my hand of course) it is still gaining more than 30 seconds per day.. Is it there a way to regulate this gaining ?

DenGNNJ
EDIT: Chances are, if you've performed all of this and your movement is still too slow or too fast, it's running dry & will probably need a full service. On the bright side, once done, you won't have to touch it again for another five years.

I don't know bro, but it seems to me that this last part kind of sums it up for you. Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!!

djprone

i think i'm going to have to try this. My watch is gaining about 15 seconds a day. Just need to get hold of a case back opener, does anyone know if those sticky balls are any good? Thank you to the OP for this!

Brightlight

I don't believe this is still around. Messing with the beat rate without a timer should not be done, all you're doing is adding errors on top of errors and hoping it works after a fashion. It's a bit like amputating your leg because you've twisted your ankle. Sure one pain will go away but all you're doing is causing more pain and piling up problems. Any tutorial you see usually, and correctly, says don't touch the beat unless you have a timer.

@Kenny, if your watch was gaining 60 secs a day, this is outside the limits of regulating, there is something wrong with your movement, as you have found out. A watch should also be timed in at least three positions.

sconehead

+1 what BL said...as a note, when I regulate a watch (each increment = 5 seconds) I always keep it on the wrist for 24hrs...fuck all this 3 position stuff. If you take your watch off and sleep for say 8 hrs, do the same during the regulation period ie mimic how you wear your watch during everyday use and regulate accordingly...it works for me...:)

KeNnY

THANKS for info :) will do that

Brightlight
+1 what BL said...as a note, when I regulate a watch (each increment = 5 seconds) I always keep it on the wrist for 24hrs...fuck all this 3 position stuff. If you take your watch off and sleep for say 8 hrs, do the same during the regulation period ie mimic how you wear your watch during everyday use and regulate accordingly...it works for me...:)

That makes very good sense Sconey when you're regulating your own watch, good thinking!

SirDomino

So is there any way to regulate an Asian 21 Jewel Movement?

KBH
So is there any way to regulate an Asian 21 Jewel Movement?

Look at the tutorial again. It shows a 7750 but the 21j is exactly the same. The second and third picture explains it all.

thunder92

:gayvikingmusic: great info

Edited by thunder92

tissotman

some great tips especially for the eta as ive got several of those only got 2 7750 but still great info thanks

SFE

Can't see the pictures ???

Anybody knows how to regulate that movement ?

IMAG0308.jpg

MikeMcNair

Seagull st 2350 (or Asian version of it)

Easy to adjust:

When looking at that pic, the little bar sticking down at the 6:30 position, that is the one to move to regulate this watch. Simply move it to the right or left is you watch is fast or slow.

Cake walk bro

Dendo

Anticipating the next question............

To the right for slowing the watch.

To the left to speed it up.

Tiny movements - then test and redo until you get it right. Do not touch the stud carrier.

SFE
Anticipating the next question............

To the right for slowing the watch.

To the left to speed it up.

Tiny movements - then test and redo until you get it right. Do not touch the stud carrier.

Since my watch is about +15 sec. a day, is the correction on the pic below is OK ?

IMAG0308MOD.jpg

JohnBrown

I just posted this as it's own thread but thought I'd put it here too. Hope that's OK...

I just got my first rep from Michelle at Silix. I really love it; it's beautiful. It was running a bit fast so I thought I would attempt to regulate it with the help of the "How to Regulate..." thread. I was having pretty good luck (I had it to about + 15 seconds a day). Last night after a night out with my wife for dinner and wine I decided to give it another adjustment. You can see in the picture (taken with the watch upside down) at the top there are two small arms that form a "V". By mistake I moved the arm on the left - I think it may be called the stud carrier. Up until last night I had only adjusted the arm on the right (right for faster - left for slower). My watch seems out of whack now. The sweep hand is out of sync with the minute hand. Any advise??

Thanks in advance!

Patekregulation.jpg

YoungGPS

Were you able to get your watch fix?

banza

The pictures are not loading :(