Sign in to follow this  
Mikes

Customer Service

Mikes

As this is my first post... anywhere, ever, I am going to have a right good whine about things that aren't necessarily always all they're cracked up to be. Also it's a massive thumbs up to things that try to be something that they're not, but sometimes they make it through anyway...

If you get to a point where you think that it's getting a bit long winded, please just stop reading...

In the days before the internet, when I was much younger and when I was given my Grandfather's lovely old watch, all I knew was, it was a genuine 1950's Omega Constellation. I was advised that as I wanted to wear it all the time and maybe even wear it swimming, I ought to have it checked over. In the meanwhile, I loved wearing it, it was a smart, classic looking watch that kept perfect time and I'm sure that no water got in it, that I knew about anyway. Eventually it went in to the Omega dealer for servicing and it seemed to be away for ages and ages and when I went to collect it they said, "ah yes! The one with the stained face".... After settling the quite sizeable bill, I picked it up. It had been completely serviced and overhauled. The glass had been replaced (plastic), and the winder had been replaced too, (along with a later version crown, because "there aren't any 50s ones available"). It had been re-calibrated and came with 12 month's fault warranty (whatever that meant) and they "had" to tell me that it was no longer waterproof.

I had quite a few issues with all this and was left disappointed. It just didn't seem like the same great watch that I had enjoyed so much several weeks earlier. I had not only entrusted them with the servicing of this 35 years old, high quality watch that had been previously regularly serviced too, but I had also been entrusting them to maintain my enjoyment of both a great product and enjoyment in the image of a great marque.

After all, I believe that when those things are not maintained with good customer service.. Genuine or Replica? It wouldn't make any difference at all, it would be just a watch, at the end of the day... and then a replica would be a darned site less expensive both financially and emotionally.

1littlegreen

Welcome!!!! Sorry to hear the sadness of a gens life being snuffed by an AD. Omega is famous for killing vintage models. Using excuses and exorbitant prices to hide behind. (as you can tell, I am NOT an Omega AD fan, and this chaps my ass to the inth degree.)

I am sure you will find many watches that will put many smiles on your face here. Emotions are purely optional.

Be well

Kevin

Luthier

You should be happy, that they restored your watch, not to complain, that it's not waterproof anymore. It's 35 y/old watch, for God sake!!!!!!!

trailboss99

Yeah, they will always claim "no longer waterproof" to protect their arse if it leaks but I don't think that's his big point Luth.

He didn't ask to have it restored, he asked to have it serviced. In fact they haven't restored it, they have ruined it for him.

They replaced parts he didn't ask to have replaced and probably had no need to replace and in the process destroyed the aesthetics and value of the watch. How is replace the original crown with an incorrect one "restoring"? This is why you NEVER send old watches to an AD. Would you have a '57 Chevy serviced at the local dealer? Unfortunately our new friend learned this the hard way, same as many others. I'd be pissed off as well mate.

Did they return the original parts? They should have, they are your property.

Had you found us earlier you could have sent the piece to 10:10 Watch repair who would have done a great job of servicing it without buggering it up. Live and learn is fine, I'm just sorry it had to with your granddad's watch. Take it somewhere else and have it tested for water resistance, chances are it will be fine.

Luthier

Probably, the thread on old crown was stripped off, and they had no choice - where the hell they'll find 35 y/old crown?

OP said - it was completely serviced. But overhauled. I wouldn't complain. They didn't replace dial, just a winder ( I guess rotor), and plastic crystal. I can imagine plexi after 35 years...

10:10 Watch Repair

Different people have different expectations, and vintage is a whole different thing.

Some of my clients with vintage watches want them to look new, and others are more concerned with originality and character. Any watchsmith good with restorations has a lot of discussions before making changes.

For the OP, it's best to seek out an expert in restorations in the future rather than an AD. It's also important if the AD is doing work in house or sending the watch to Omega.

Rolex used to get a lot of negative feedback for their service on vintage watches and now handles them with more care, but a lot of the Rolex ADs do them in house, frequently with disastrous results.

Mikes

Thank you all for a thoroughly good welcome, understanding why I am glad to be here and all the good, friendly advice. Cheers!

Thank you all for a thoroughly good welcome, understanding why I am glad to be here and all the good, friendly advice. Cheers!

Mikes

Oops!

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, Välkommen and Welcome.

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!!

Corv99

welcome!!

Electron17

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your watch. I had a similar story also with an Omega watch, hope you enjoy shopping for reps here there are some mighty fine ones available.

Regards,

Jan

replicastuff

Welcome, at least they restored it, although for the price of the service, you could have had a few reps to play with.

Mikes

Thanks everyone. I've been taking a look at a couple of reps and making some enquiries. That's where I stumbled across this site and I must say I am relieved. Before finding this site any responses that I did get back from "vendors" just left me feeling more than a little sceptical and grubby. Cheers!