Sign in to follow this  
gioarmani

Tag Heuer SLR for Mercedes from Eurotimez review.

gioarmani

Ok--here it is: my review for my new Tag SLR, from my Xmas order from Eurotimez.com :

IMG_4904.jpg

I've always been partial to Rolex (and perhaps a bit of Omega, as well) and haven't really strayed much from that over the years, either in rep or gen. Long story short, I decided to make a Christmas order and indulge in a little something else. Those who have followed my reviews over the years will know I've tried a few Panerais as well, but quite frankly, they're a little boring and all look the same. :(

Anyway, down to cases.

The Tag SLR chronograph wears almost the width of the DSSD, but with a seemingly slightly less thick profile. I must admit, since falling in love with the cerachrom on the DSSD, I absolutely love the look & feel of ceramic; to be honest, it makes the old-school metal bezel inserts on Subs and the like seem a bit tired and old. I guess I'll quit the blabbering now and proceed to pictures. These were (except for the lume shot) all shot in natural light, to get the truest-to-form look.

IMG_4928.jpg

The watch itself feels quite sturdy & heavy in the hand, which is nice and the band's links seem nice & snug, as well. I also like the fact that the case has the inner bezel-ring control at 9 o'clock, directly accross from the crown:

IMG_4900.jpg

A close-up of the bezel-ring control:

IMG_4914.jpg

The non-tradition looking chrono-pushers that contour the case are also a nice touch. It seems the styling of this piece (intentional or not) almost mimics the shape & folds to the new Mercedes coupes as well:

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

The ceramic bezel is also nice in the fact that the top surface is unpolished, unlike Rolex's GMT, DSSD, Hublots, etc.

IMG_4920.jpg

A few quick shots of the time-set crown and inner bezel-ring crown:

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

A close-up of the crown's detailed engraving:

IMG_4907.jpg

The dial is nicely detailed as well--I was afraid it might look a bit too "busy", but it actually does blend together nicely. On a side note: the inner bezel-ring and and dial markers aren't misaligned, they merely appear off in some of the shots because the ring was turned during shooting--rest assured every lines up perfectly on this model.

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

As mentioned, the band's links are nicely done and well-constructed; brushed on the tops, and polished on the sides. The shape and construction of this particular band is a bit unorthodox to anything else I've seen and I don't even think any other Tag has one quite like this, although I could be mistaken.

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

The clasp opens and closes securely as well. I was worries that it may have a few problems like the SMP chrono's clasps are known for, but this one seems as tight & well-fitted as any of the PAM bracelets I've had with similar joiners.

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

The bracelet pins are just that: pins. Some appear to have heads like screws, but they do push out, rather than unscrewing. The band's links are marked as to which way to push, as well.

IMG_4932.jpg

The case-back is also done well--neatly engraved and secured to the case with six screws--three at six o'clock and another three at twelve.

IMG_4912.jpg

The lume was also surprisingly good for a rep--bright as first, peaks quick and dies off a bit faster than superluminova, but it in pitch-black it's still readable hours later.

IMG_5035.jpg

All chrono-hands reset perfectly as they should, and the seconds subdial sweep on this model is as smooth as glass, and I even love the 6 o'clock calendar.

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

So, if like me you're looking to get away from Rolex and think outside the overly-proverbial "box", look no further. I am beyond satisfied with this piece, and between this and my '06 Cousteau, they have singlehandedly replaced my DSSD for the most wrist-time this holiday season.

I hope you enjoyed this review. Happy New Year!!!

IMG_4900.jpg