Sign in to follow this  
gioarmani

2006 IWC Aquatimer "Cousteau" from Eurotimez

gioarmani

I know I've had this piece for a week or more, but I've finally gotten around to a short review.

IMG_5024.jpg

This is the 2006 IWC Aquatimer "Cousteau Diver" from Eurotimez, the third review in my biggest Xmas shipment. A big and warm thank you to US Customs @ JFK in NY, for letting every single order I've ever made slide through unnoticed (even large orders of multiple full-size suitcases. God bless us, every one! :Whistle: )

Forever and day I've been torn between the '06 & '07, and the '06 finally won out enough for me to order. I really like the '07 dial's orange, but I feared it might just be a bit too much on me. The wood back on the '06 was probably the deciding factor, to be honest. :(

To me, this seems to wear about the same as my DSSD, but maybe smaller on the wrist than the AP ROO Rubens Barrichello. And yes; I plan to have Zig relume this one--I also plan on replacing the wood sticker on the case-back with genuine veneer, per the tutorial on that (sorry--the member's name escapes me).

Like the Tag & the AP, this too is my first IWC (and frankly, the only IWC I like). Theinner bezel-ring turns & lines up properly and fortunately none of the dial markers seem to be too far off kilter. This is also the first watch I've purchased with AR, and it really is lovely. It really makes all the colors on the dial pop; the white of the lume, the gloss blue, the oranges, and even the silver of the hour-markers. The day & date also line up perfectly, so unless someone knows if this is the incorrect font compared to the gen, I don't see a reason to replace the wheels.

Anyway, on to the pics. I'm quite pleased by how the shape & flow of the band's curvature follows that of the case. Very nice.

IMG_5006.jpg

Even the buckle is nicely detailed.

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

Just like the AP ROO I reviewed, this is on of only two watches I've ever owned without steel bands, and they really do fit & wear more than comfortable. Even though the case-back's wood is merely a digitally printed sticker on the reps, it still looks good enough to the naked eye.

IMG_5022.jpg

Sharp engravings, as well.

IMG_5021.jpg

The lume is applied nice and even, but I really like the chunkier look of the relumes I see posted elsewhere, in other member's reviews. :rofl:

IMG_5029.jpg

NOTE: After waterproofing, this piece just tested solid to 9.381 ATM!!! Quite happy. :poke:

cvdvfdvf.jpg

Also, a few quick shots of the inside while greasing the gaskets & rings:

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

And all the dial print is sharp as a tack--even on the ribbed surface of the matte sub-dials (which next to the gloss on the dial makes for a beautiful contrast).

IMG_5010.jpg

The crown is also sharp and nicely engraved.

IMG_5011.jpg

All in all, I really like this piece more than I thought I would. This will certainly be getting most of my wrist time for the next few weeks. :Whistle:

Hope you enjoyed looking and a good 2020 to all! Auf Wiedersehen!

IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

greg_r

One of the nicest IWCs I've seen in a long while. Tempting....

gioarmani

Thanks!

KinCaidk

Very nice indeed!!

Thanks for some great pics

dingle

gio has some of the best pictorials around. well done! :)

gioarmani

Gracias, muchachos!

KinCaidk

I know I am bumping old threads, but fuck me - I want this.

(And you're paying half, Solkryssare for making me want it :wave: )

greg_r

It is indeed a very pretty watch...

solkryssare

(And you're paying half, Solkryssare for making me want it :wacko: )

I tell you what. I will let you have a beer with me once. How's that for repayment? Just once tho.

KBH

Beautiful indeed. But be aware that unless you have rather large wrists, the rubber is not very comfortable. It's not very flexible and will leave large gaps on your wrists. I couldn't wear it comfortably on 7 1/4" wrist. At the time I had it there were no bracelets available.

gran

:wacko::Drinking2: :paddy_beer:

I hope I get to see this one in Vegas

KinCaidk

(And you're paying half, Solkryssare for making me want it :wacko: )

I tell you what. I will let you have a beer with me once. How's that for repayment? Just once tho.

Alright.. You're paying :Drinking2:

Beautiful indeed. But be aware that unless you have rather large wrists, the rubber is not very comfortable. It's not very flexible and will leave large gaps on your wrists. I couldn't wear it comfortably on 7 1/4" wrist. At the time I had it there were no bracelets available.

When did you have yours?

I hope that they made some better bands for it since. :paddy_beer:

gB.
gio has some of the best pictorials around. well done! :thumbsup2:

Yes, the best pictorials around.... :):boobies3::):drool:

Oh, wait, you're talking about the watches...lol

Luthier

Who said it???

:)

A-1.jpg

A-2.jpg

A-3.jpg

Dan22

Beautiful. How would one go about getting this, with the orange hands with black leather band with matching orange stitching? I'd love to get it serviced and pressure tested too. I’m ok with quartz, or non 7750.

wat44

mine says "Charles Darwin Roundation" on the back

f1aff559.jpg

Luthier

Yours isn't Cousteau, it's Aquatimer.

wat44

thanks - they are all aquatimers

Luthier

Yes, but Cousteau Divers is absolutely different watch - even different case size.

wat44

yep

Mines better looking, especially on my normal wrists (hehehehehe)