Sign in to follow this  
doron

different levels of reps

doron

Hey guys,

I was reading the thread here about "expectations of a replica watch" and i wanted to ask about the "range" of quality of the watches offered here - ie, whether the trusted dealers here have 'low quality reps' which they sell for fairly cheap and then 'high quality reps' which they sell for much more.

I guess another way of asking the question is whether there are, lets say, $100 reps which are ok, and then, lets say, $400 reps which are really stunning, or whether there isn't always a correlation between price and quality.

grb

Only you can determine that when you get them back. I still maintain that we don't know what's out there until we see what out neighbour's bought. Or we manage to find better quality. If you buy lower quality in the first place you may never get to the better stuff. There is a big difference in quality.

Every member should be made to buy one shit piece just to see what level of difference there can be.

It's like telling a small child not to put their hand near a hot stove, if you get their hand and put it on a warm stove they never go back. Not that I did that with my kids :giggle:

hnic

big difference in quality

some $100 are really nice buys, for the money

i'll stick to higher quality reps myself

just try some and give away or sell on if you don't like

doron

Thanks for the help fellas.

Another question, do you think that normally a rep bought here would be identifiable as a rep even by a non-expert? That is, if I buy a watch here and show it to someone who is into their watches and has a few quality gens, but is not a rep expert like the people here, would he know its a rep?

RichardMiami

All reps have flaws. 100% There is no such thing as a 1:1 replica. Some reps are closer to gen than others, but none are perfect.

The only variable is the knowledge and eyesight of the person looking at the watch.

Buy the watches for yourself.. screw everyone else.

Member X

+1 to that last comment. Buy what you like. You are unlikely to bump into a random stranger who is going to 'call you out' so just wear what you like :)

As for whether you should show it to someone who has a collection of gens, that is up to you. But be aware that some Gen collectors think reps are cool (like a lot of gen and rep collectors on here) but others think reps are the work of the devil and you should be forever cast into the social desert for daring to 'be something you're not' by wearing a rep.

jeffw69

IMO, those $30 Silix specials aren't going to fool anyone.

Corv99

also you will find a lot people who own Gens... you probably know more about their watches than they do....

bar the guys on here! :giggle:

Luthier

Why this thread is in New Members Subforum?

Bob Reed

I agree with what has been said. A friend of mine is "in" to watches and when I showed him my cheap Sub you should have seen his face. He thought it was real I had to convince him it wasn't. No one I know would know a real Gen if it slapped them on the head and I am not putting down the folks I know, some of them own Gens. Buy the watch for you because if you like it, what does it matter what others say or think? I used to think I would love a real Rolex. Now I am noit so sure I would buy one if I could. I am wearing a cheap watch by any standard, I love it and everyone thinks it real. Why spend 10x more for all the same things? And I don't try to pass mine off as real, if asked I tell the truth

Rob Roy

I agree with what has been said. A friend of mine is "in" to watches and when I showed him my cheap Sub you should have seen his face. He thought it was real I had to convince him it wasn't. No one I know would know a real Gen if it slapped them on the head and I am not putting down the folks I know, some of them own Gens. Buy the watch for you because if you like it, what does it matter what others say or think? I used to think I would love a real Rolex. Now I am noit so sure I would buy one if I could. I am wearing a cheap watch by any standard, I love it and everyone thinks it real. Why spend 10x more for all the same things? And I don't try to pass mine off as real, if asked I tell the truth

In my experience gen owners dont even know what Sapphire Crystal is!

Col

Bob Reed

In my experience gen owners dont even know what Sapphire Crystal is!

Col

Thats what I am talking about. They bought a Rolex, all they know..... :lmao:

myaz

you probably know more about their watches than they do....

+1. most people that buy a gen don't belong to gen watch forums and don't spend time studying about them.

Some watches are easier to rep and will look closer to the gen. For more info, here's where you can start:

http://anonym.to/?http://anonym.to/?http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=601

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=5502&hl=%2Bsuper+%2Breps&fromsearch=1

HeavyKrush

I know a couple Gen owners and they know very little about the watches they wear. As pointed out above though, they are not involved in forums where the watches are studied.

ClaireB1973

My hubby has a gen Tag Heur Carrera and he was pretty fascinated when i told him about this forum..... He is quite fancying a rep rolex..... Never ONCE has anyone ever asked him about his Gen Tag (disappointing or what?) but he always notices when it is "clocked" by someone (double take.. Followed by mini jaw drop... Followed by pretended disinterest but "heyy respect"? i imagine anyways...? Anyone ever fibbed about it being a rep? Cmmmmmmoooon... What do you say? Won it? Earned it? Inherited?

doron

Yeah i figured that much, looking at the photos posted by the dealers here, i doubt anyone bar an experiences watchmaker would know the difference.

I was always going to buy a rep as opposed to a gen...I come from a wealthy family myself but to me even if you have the money, buying a watch for 20k is a bit insane (very possible that this mindset of mine will change in the future hahah). I mean, if you can get a good rep for 200 bucks as opposed to 5k, you might as well do it, because you sort of feel like you're getting ripped off if you are paying THAT much more for the gen.

ClaireB1973

I think that whatever you buy should also be somehow convincing compared to your lifestyle, if you are wealthy and drive a nice car, wear nice clothes and live in a nice house then you can get away with anything and it will be assumed that its a gen, but me for example.. A mum of four doing the school run before going home to muck pigs out would maybe not get away with a Chopard for daily wear ?... Maybe best to aim lower and go for a Chanel...hehee! ;-)

lapinobel

I also noticed that a lot of people don't know anything about brand except maybe Rolex. When I tell them about Panerai, Chopard, IWC etc they look at me like I'm from another planet. Omega is known by some but not even that much people seem to know what this brand stands for. A lot more people nowadays are leaving their watches because they use their phones for time keeping (which is imo not that important for my wrist watch, I kinda experience them as a men-jewel).

arancini

Very interesting thread.

Myself personally, I'll go for the best Rep. I can find rather than burn my money on a cheaper piece that neither looks as good or tells the time as well.

I mean, at the end of the day, you're only spending a small amount of money anyway relative to the Gen, which costs many thousands of dollars.

Super Rep.

Only way to Fly.

doron
Very interesting thread.

Myself personally, I'll go for the best Rep. I can find rather than burn my money on a cheaper piece that neither looks as good or tells the time as well.

I mean, at the end of the day, you're only spending a small amount of money anyway relative to the Gen, which costs many thousands of dollars.

Super Rep.

Only way to Fly.

I feel the same way, but I can't really afford to shell 700 right now.

dalboy

No rep is perfect ..buy the best you can afford ..dont try to impress others , impress yourself thats all that matters..

Dal.....

dipps

+1 A buddy of mine at work really likes my reps but some people can't get past the fake watch thing...so he buys an genuine Invicta...ha

YoungGPS

No rep is perfect ..buy the best you can afford ..dont try to impress others , impress yourself thats all that matters..

Dal.....

+1 :thumbsup:

Burnleybezel

Dal.....

Wisdom oh Grasshopper!