Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

What watches are you comtemplating getting rid of?

AllergyDoc

As I write begin this post I can hear my next-door neighbor's young dog howl as if being strangled. I saw him pull up to his house a while ago with what looked like a doghouse in the back of his pickup. Now the dog is howling. Reaffirms my strong dislike of people who do not know how to properly care for and train their pets. :Drinking2: Can't blame the dog.

Anyhow.

I'm contemplating selling these watches, and I'll tell you why.

#1: 127 on custom HK Tan strap made of "cracked pepper" tram seat leather.

HKCP127front.jpg

This is my last PAM after owning 6. I never wear it. If I want a big watch I'll pick up the Hublot King or Graham. I wore it for several hours over the weekend and then put it back in the box. The only PAM I regret selling was the 036. I would consider getting a modded 036 in the future.

#2: "Super" Sea Dweller, V1

SSD2.jpg

(Picture is with rep bezel and pearl. It now has the WM replacement and looks even better.)

I would hate to part with this one because I've put a little of my own "elbow grease" into it, with the light mod of replacement the rep bezel insert and pearl with one from Watchmaterial.com. However, I will be picking up a Deep Sea V3 and I know I will not pick this watch up over the DS. Why?

Size, for one. The bigger DS feels more substantial, yet stable, than the SSD. And, this is admittedly quirky, I'm addicted to good lume. The hour markers on the SSD lume fine but the hands lume poorly. I always wear a casual watch to bed and because I'm farsighted, I like to be able to see the time in the wee hours of the moring without having to squint at the Bose clock radio to the side of the bed. The hands on my DS V1 lumed great and now, at least by the pics the dealers post, the hour markers lume just as well. Odd, I know, but not as odd as drinking Miller naked while wearing a Rolex. :rofl:

I am considering keeping it as a gym watch as my cheapo LV Sub is on the DL w/a loose hour marker bouncing around the dial.

#3: Explorer II - "Noob factory" with ETA

Exp%206.jpg

By-Tor says this is the best out-of-the-box Rolex ever made. All it needs is a gen crown and a wee bit of crown guard thinning and it would be spot on. (I would never do either of those mods, BTW. Who cares?)

Why unload it? Too small and somewhat redundant. I have my GMT-II C and soon-to-be-had Deep Sea, both with black dial and bezel. Why a 3rd? Also, it's so light. It hardly feels as if I'm wearing a watch when I put it on.

(I hear a hammer pounding in the neighbor's back yard. Does he think that adding a game room to the doghouse will keep the pooch quiet? I think not!)

I did sell the Picot. Though it was a beautiful watch and a near-perfect replica, I found myself, once again, reaching for the Hublot King or Graham. Someone saw my pics on RG and offered to buy it. I took the offer.

There are others I would like to sell but I'm not prepared to take the loss necessary to sell them. For example, the bling DateJust I wore today. I paid $248 for it but would be lucky to get $150. Also, the GMT-II C has issues with the GMT hand (it runs hours ahead of the rest of the watch) that significantly reduce it's value.

The main thought behind this thread is, where are you at with your collecting? I'm at a consolidation point. Really, how many watches does a guy need? How many can you wear in a week? What gets left in the watch box indefinately?

I was chastized by Zed when I sold my SMP chrono. "The collection, Doc." I like the idea of "the collection" but 10 watches sounds about right, not 20.

I'll start another thread, later, about what watches I think will form the core of my collection.

What watches are you thinking of selling?

Poohmonster

Nice Thread Doc !......

Of my reps .....

Graham Chronfighter Oversized Diver - Will keep forever......

Hublot Big Bang - definite Keeper.

Breitling Navitimer......will sell.

Breitling Skyland Avenger......will kep until my gen black dial SA arrives then sell.

Mont Blanc SS Chrono....keep as a daily flogger.......

On the way in.......

Panerai - Black Seal or GMT - rep

SA Black gen

Graham Gen

maybe.....a Blackbird.....but the width on the date window shits me........

And I also want the new Rolex Sea Dweller with ETA movement from Josh.....

Wife's whinging about the watches though......got her a J12 and an LV and it shut her up for.....24 hours......

Luthier

I will buy in near future:

1. Breitling

a) TT Navimeter, b ) SOSF blue dial, c) Chrono Evolution TT, d) Skyland Avenger , e) Bentley gold 47mm, f) Black Bird Big Date.

2. Rolex

a) New DayDate 41mm (already ordered), b ) Sea Dweller last edition, c) Sub last edition, d) Y-M rolesium. Want Tona, but...

3. IWC

a) Cousteau Divers with SS bracelet, b ) Laureus, c) Big Pilot gold 7 days, d) Ingeneur, e) F.A. Jones.

4. PAM

a) Daylight black dial, b ) 222 Regatta hobnail dial, c) 8 days GMT white, d) PAM049 white dial.

5. Omega

a) Planet Ocean full gold, b ) Seamaster Chrono, c) Railmaster silver dial blue markers.

6. TAG

a) Calibre 1 black dial, b ), Calibre 17, RG, brown dial, c) Link blue dial.

7. AP

a) City of Sails blue dial.

This is my "wish list" for now... It will grow, ofcourse.

greg_r

Interesting thread, Doc...

I must confess that I'm not currently planning to sell any of my collection - there's one I might donate to a friend or relative at some point, and a couple of others that just aren't that good, so get rather ignored, but the majority of them get worn fairly regularly. I've even still got my 6 year-old Day/Date (which I should probably relegate to the spares box, but I haven't yet...)

Buying, however, is still a tad out of control - there's three watches on my immediate wish list and quite a few others I'd like to pick up in due course. Of course, I only returned to reps last year after a long break, so that might change.

When I first started buying reps about 6 years ago, I bought several within a fairly short space of time (mostly Rolex) but ended up selling all but two of them within a few months - of those two another one got sold a couple of years later and the remaining one I still own. Maybe I'll follow the same pattern this time - I dunno, but I kinda doubt it. I'm collecting a far wider variety this time, which makes it far more interesting/enjoyable.

SliceMaster

OK here´s a couple of my watches that never get any wrist-time and therefore could go

First my Breitling Chrono Avenger that simply is a heavy piece of steel and I don´t like the way it sits on my wrist, it´s to thick and I also lost the pearl and can´t bother to fix it, then the bezel came off at work (golf-course) and I was just lucky to find it so then I took some Loctite and glued it on but of course now the bezel is stuck (yes I knew that would happen). Anyway it only costed 99 $ from Lawrence so it´s not a big loss, it will stay here and maybe some day find another home or just end up in the trashbin, who knows :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why did I buy it then?? Well I thought it looked cool spec. with that extra dial on the bracelet, no other reason :groucho::groucho:

dscn0278mn7.jpg

On to the next one, my Sea-dweller, actually not much to say other than I just don´t wear it spec. often, it´just looks plain and pretty boring to me so most of it´s time it stays in the watchbox. Another one from Lawrence so the cost was something like 80-90 $ another minor loss if I get rid of it or gives it away.

Why buy it then....well a Doctor here thought I should have a black Rolex to go with the others but for once he and me was wrong :Doh::Whistle:

nyasoliga014xh8.jpg

Edited by SliceMaster

AllergyDoc
I will buy in near future:

1. Breitling

a) TT Navimeter, b ) SOSF blue dial, c) Chrono Evolution TT, d) Skyland Avenger , e) Bentley gold 47mm, f) Black Bird Big Date.

2. Rolex

a) New DayDate 41mm (already ordered), b ) Sea Dweller last edition, c) Sub last edition, d) Y-M rolesium. Want Tona, but...

3. IWC

a) Cousteau Divers with SS bracelet, b ) Laureus, c) Big Pilot gold 7 days, d) Ingeneur, e) F.A. Jones.

4. PAM

a) Daylight black dial, b ) 222 Regatta hobnail dial, c) 8 days GMT white, d) PAM049 white dial.

5. Omega

a) Planet Ocean full gold, b ) Seamaster Chrono, c) Railmaster silver dial blue markers.

6. TAG

a) Calibre 1 black dial, b ), Calibre 17, RG, brown dial, c) Link blue dial.

7. AP

a) City of Sails blue dial.

This is my "wish list" for now... It will grow, ofcourse.

:groucho:

I count 26.

Check yourself into the Betty Ford Clinic down there. I'm sure they have a program for this. :groucho:

Luthier

[quote name='AllergyDoc' date='Dec 16 2008, 05:09 PM' post='71

I count 26.

Check yourself into the Betty Ford Clinic down there. I'm sure they have a program for this. :rolleyes:

It's only start, Doc!

:groucho::groucho::Whistle:

gottahaverolex

I actually feel like selling most of the 20 watches I own at this point. Anything smaller tha 43MM is just too little for me at this point. The DSSD is tops for me and i think I will order a second to be a beater. The Concord C1 is definitely my summer beach watch and will stay in rotation when it warms up again.

My Chanel J12 whire ceramic hasn't left the watch box since the first week I had it, it needs to go. I have the firsy crap version of the GMT 50th with the fucked up green date and shit insert, has to go. My Montblanc Timewalker chrono is a very nice watch, I'll keep it around for dressier affairs.

My Breitling Bentey 6.75 in white and black bore me, they need to go (not to mention the black one has been acting up!). My PAM 212 Flyback is nice but I never wear it and my Pam 009 PVD is cool but no wrist time. The other rollies will stay because they are my babies. My Daytona, White Yachtie and "perfect" sub still get some wrist action but less now since the DSSD arrived.

All in all I'm only really interested in keeping about 5 and the rest can go as far as I'm concerned. I too feel as Doc does, 20 is too many for me. I most likely will save up for a Gen DSSD and that will be that. Still haven't got a Graham yet so I'll probably grab one soon and maybe a 41MM daydate to replace the Montblanc...... Any body wanna buy a watch cheap!!!!??????? HA, HA! :phone:

JohnG

I am going to sell my SOSF (getting the SA white dial for Christmas), and my "Cartier branded" Explorer I with ETA. Also a crappy Pam. with proceeds may buy an Ingy. Or maybe an SMP Chrono...

AllergyDoc

The Explorer II and the SSD are gone.

No one wants the 127, but there's interest in the strap. It's all or nothing, scum bags!!!

I'm not dropping the price on it again. If it doesn't sell I'll keep to scare the neighborhood kids. "Alien watch" man. :phone:

Demsey

lol Doc, the thread was innocuous and covert enough, but the soft sell is a little glaring.

What's next?

SSD2.jpg

You're TTK on the old RWG, and I collect my; "Well......................... what did I do then? I'm just sharing pictures with the class................... I'm forefront a collector............................afterall."

:phone:

Edited by Demsey

AllergyDoc

I think that's one of my best pictures even though the flowers look plastic.

Wasn't TTK "Torques"?

AllergyDoc

Demsey has offered $185 for the 127 w/custom HK Tan strap.

Do I hear $190?

graman

Can't afford to sell any of my watches....wouldn't have a collection.

Main reps I will post pics of next week.

Pam looks attractive Doc....I'll pm you later...probably tonight.

Not for myself...I have a 127, but I may know someone who is....with the strap!...and the watch!

My wish list at the moment...

IWC - Spitfire Laureus, Ingy with ETA, Flieger Chrono, Antoine St Exupery UTC, Big Pilot.

Would also love to see some reps of the classic lineup...particularly the pilot watch and the ingy.

A nice rep of the Da Vinci if it turns up too....

Man...I'm in trouble!

I like the pam GMT that Josh is selling as well, but need to find it with a black date...

graman

Do I hear $190?

Presuming that's USD, a little rich for my blood mate...thanks though.

Not that I want you to give it away...just the wrong time of year.

AllergyDoc

Going, going, going...

AllergyDoc

Too late, Demsey. A guy on RWI is picking it up.

No more PAMs for me.

Well, maybe a 036 later. That was the only one I regret selling.

KBH

I like this. Let's have a section of "Watches I'm thinking about sellingl".

We can pretend we're just showing them off.

Massimo

I was completely taken in. Still, an interesting thread for all that.

AllergyDoc

:thumbsup:

Am I about to get my warning level raised?.

Not selling them HERE, fellas. (PMs accepted, though. :thumbdown:)

KBH

I don't see a problem as long as no money changes hands on the forum and there are no prices discussed. That's what PM's are for.

I've got a few I'd like to list....errrr, I mean discuss!

Demsey

I wonder how long KBH stared at that gif. just hoping that reporter would sooner or later connect; " This time. this time, this time, this time, this time..............."

Wasn't TTK "Torques"?

No. Heur de Teure, 600m Diver, Demsey, others..............too numerous to mention............all too soon forgotten...............

Do I hear $190?

:thumbdown:

You are 'Highflyingclive' and I collect, no, demand my 50gbp you owe me from that wager. Welsher! or merely Welsh, whichever is the more derogatory en Albion.

THREADLOCKER

After I get a high quality DSSD, I will be selling my Daytona and DayDate. I truly feel that the DSSD is the one and only Rolex for me. Now that I have my Skyland, I will definately be selling my BCE and probably my SFSO. I truly believe that the Skyland is the Breitling for me. Will be selling my fully modded PAM 183 soon, cause the fully modded 111E and 187 are all the PAMs I need. Still looking to get rid of my AP ROO secs @9, since I now have a AP ROO secs @12.

AllergyDoc

And that sucker won't move.

THREADLOCKER
And that sucker won't move.

Be a friend and buy it already!