Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

RWG watch. PM Luthier to get one

Luthier

With permission of our God (member #1), I'm revealing the best kept secret on RWG.

About a year ago I bought infamous "RWG watch #1" from Dr. Gran. As some of you know, this watch was a reason our Forum died 4 years ago. It's a nice watch, rep. of Omega, and was made in very, very limited quantity - just a few came to the buyers doorsteps.

01.jpg

So, I got this nasty idea to create new RWG watch, with original design and decent movement, and I asked Greg's permission to do it.

Reply was prompt and swift - "Fuck off, bugger, my finger is on "BAN" button right now." Oooppsss... Politely asked, "Why the fuck??" and got another PM - "First watch killed the forum, and I have only one life, not enough to resurrect Fora once again. Button is half pressed!!!"

Hhmmm... Ookkk... So, I started to search for friends to help me in this, seems impossible task, and talked to... let's say, one Mod, who's close to both of us. Got some help, and PMed again, explaining (twice!!! Once wasn't enough), that money won't be involved AT ALL, I'll finance this project by myself. Waiting the answer was much more painful, that awaiting the watch from the dealer. Finally, I've heard "OK", and it did sound very nasty. Knowing, that "BAN" button is half-pressed, I assured again, that nobody will know about this project, until the product will be done. Well... sorry, boss, I'm breaking this promise - product is not done YET, but money paid, factory started to make the sample, so, no way back. And I got your permission to publish this, so, take your finger off the red button, you, progress hater!!! :)

Anyway... being a designer, I started to work on some crazy ideas, and on a whole design. Of course, I wanted to make chrono watch, with symmetrical 3-6-9 layout, and non-sunken DW. So, the only choice was A7753 movememt. Here's a few first sketches.

02.jpg

02a.jpg

Then I got an idea of screw-in bezel. Really, why need to disassemble a whole watch, if you need to do a small work on hands or hours markers? Why not to make screwed in bezel? And the special tool, that will do the job, together with case back opener?

Tons of paper was used, hundreds of sketches, many sleepless nights, and months of studying watch making things. Boy, it wasn't easy.

Here you can see the transformation of the first idea to the almost final design of the case with screw in bezel.

03.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Then I spent many months in finding the proper factory. Found 5-6, and here's nightmare started. No factory will accept the order, smaller than 500 pieces. Just no way. Are they stupid, or what??? But, knowing business in China for many years, I knew I'll meet this problem. So, I used my irresistible charm ( thanks God, on all factories there's a girls, with quite good English, who negotiate deals), and it did work, as usually. :D A few secrets trips to there, and The Factory was chosen. I only can say - they make a few very well known brands, and I found the quality is exceptional, and folks there know watches very well. So, I started to work on details. I wanted to make very special hours markers, that would create "The dish" effect, at least 5ATM (50 meters) waterproof, modern looking watch on the bracelet. You, leather lovers, can buy straps for it, if you wish. Then I asked Sol to help me with 3D images and CAD drawings.

Folks, Sol is da genius, and very, very talented man. When I saw his first 3D image of my watch, I was in total shock.

Here's a few pictures of the details.

06b.jpg

06a.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

010.jpg

Can (bezel) opener. Back part is for unscrewing case back. Two tools in one.

013.jpg

014.jpg

I asked Sol, if I can put his name on the watch, and got his blessing.

011.jpg

And here's Sol's work...

015.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

So, as I said before, the factory already started to make the sample, there's no way back. Sample making takes abot 30-35 days, and after approval it will take 30 days to make 300 watches. So, the sales will start (I hope) just before Christmas. You never know...

The movement, as I said already, is A7753, from Shanghai factory, well oiled, adjusted, and with RWG logo or rotor. The case will have the pusher @10 for date change. Less problem. Top crystal - 1,8mm sapphire with colorless AR. Case back glass - mineral. I wanted to make this watch as thin, as possible, and I came up with 14,7mm thickness, but the factory told me - 1mm glass on case back won't hold 5ATM, need 1,2mm. So, the total thickness will be around 15mm. Case diameter - 44mm. Sorry, midgets, this watch is for men. :P

Absolutely every part of the watch require a casting mould - mould for case, mould for bezel, mould for crown, mould for caseback, moulds for bracelet parts, another factory making midlinks from hard rubber, so, more moulds... And trust me - you don't want to know the prices of the moulds... it's astronomical. Problem was, as I said before, to find suppliers, who would agree to take the order for 300 pieces.

Forgot to add - every watch will have individual Serial Number - from 000 to 300. Some numbers already taken by Mods, who created the Secret Thread about this watch, that nobody, even me, can't see and read.

Now... A few things you should know. I'm making this watch in the sake of love to this Forum, I will NOT earn even a penny from sales.

Sales will be made by Mary and Rochest, who's help I can't praise enough. The girl visit factory and all the suppliers a few times per week, discussing every detail of quality, finding this, finding that... My kudos to Mary and Rochest, they're just fantastic couple, trust me - this watch wouldn't see the light of the day without them. They're SO busy, that just recently the girl bursted in tears, telling me she wants to quit replicas, and it took a lot of words and effort to convince her to stay in it. So, no worries, WI is OK and running. Just... maybe, some of you will understand, how busy they are. I spent 8 months of my life on this project, and I don't want to tell you, how hard was it, just trust me - it was extremely hard. But it worth every minute - I know this business mucho better, than before.

The price of the watch will be around $280, and I'm working on wooden box design right now (factory already found), so, the box and the wrench/opener (another factory involved) will cost additional $10-$15, so, expect final price around $300.

Also, I'd like to say BIG THANKS to Wiz and Chris (10:10), their enormous knowledge and advises helped me A LOT.

OK, back to watch. Get a chair, you'll be swiped off your feet - here's Sol's images - The Watch!!!

Forgot to add - 150 watches will be with dark blue sunburst dial/gold hour markers and hands, and 150 watches with matte black dial and silver hour markers/hands, except seconds hand - it will be RED. :P

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

And, of course, the watch will be superlumed.

029.jpg

FinalRWGBLUE247.jpg

Now... a few rulez. And I highly advice you to follow them.

Rule #1. Do NOT contact Watchinternational with any questions about this watch, or you'll be barred from buying it. They're overwhelmed with reps and this watch, and your stupid 1000 questions already.

Rule #2. Do NOT PM me about your desired Serial Number, in time the list will be published.

Rule #3. PM Greg with your thanks. All of you. :rofl:

Simple rules, right? So, follow 'em, motherfuckers!!!

And, it's my 14,000th post, and the most valuable one, I hope...

:D

*IF YOU WISH TO ORDER A WATCH FROM LUTH, PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS...*

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=35977

Edited by solkryssare
Instructions

NCRich

Fandamtastic luth. As you well know, I'm in.

Corv99

Great project this... well done Guy's turned out really well ...

yup me too I'm in

fatarms

I'd be in for a black one :D

This is pure awesome.

10:10 Watch Repair

Absolutely incredible. Aaaaaand it's a good looking watch.

Arism

Count me in :)

This forum is awesome!

My favorite number is 8.... :Whistle:

scorpion
1 holy moly.gif

Luthier

@Arism - you forgot to add - "Just saying"...

madhouse

Awesome!!

hnic

wow

amazing project

really nice

im very much impressed

congrats on the design and glws! which wont be a problem !

bklynboy

Beautiful in black!

Love the classic design paired with the ingenious sloping hour markers, although the design constrains what hands would work going with the unadorned swords works

Does the bracelet have rubber mid links?

BTW - 3 is my lucky number, just sayin...

Arism

@Arism - you forgot to add - "Just saying"...

Just sayin' :lol:

Fantastic work Luth, Sol and everyone else involved! Christmas is just too far away now!

DFH

Spectacular, Luth!!!

It really has progressed nicely, and is finally a reality. Kudos to you for your tenacity and design, and desire to do something truly special for RWG.

Very, very special - I applaud you - and big props and respect to Sol for his obvious talents and expertise...

Chr1st0c

What an awesome watch !

Matt Black for me Luth .... Fuggen awesome !!!

Where do I sign up ?

Anyone seen the movie 300 ??? * hint* * hint*

Edited by Chr1st0c

onionbag

Well, I'll be blowed. Amazing, Luth, Sol and everyone involved. I take my hat off to you all. :clap:

Electron17

Wow, what a fantastic watch. Definately want 1 or 2. Well done Luthier and all who helped. :notworthy:

Luthier

Thanks, Dennis! And all...

Sol is a genius, and Chris and Wiz were in really, really big help.

And I can't thank enough Mary and Rochest.

Del

Isn't this just amazing folks?! Truly, this is special. :woo:

I don't think we'll ever know how much work really went into this project by Luth, Sol, Mary, etc... and I have to say that to do this for NO profit speaks volumes about the type of person Luth is. :notworthy:

Of course, since I became a Mod earlier this week I've already booked my dial type and serial number! How lucky was I?!! :nana:

Luthier

OK, guys, let's talk about design. How do you like screwed-in bezel idea? How do you like design overall?

More specifics, please.

And - what you do NOT like?

Del

I love the hour markers! :clap:

The screw-in bezel is a very clever idea - love that too but hope to never need to unscrew it! :D

fatarms

Luth, I like it just the way it is :D

I'd like to reserve a black one, is there an official list yet?

Luthier

Isn't this just amazing folks?! Truly, this is special. :woo:

I don't think we'll ever know how much work really went into this project by Luth, Sol, Mary, etc... and I have to say that to do this for NO profit speaks volumes about the type of person Luth is. :notworthy:

Of course, since I became a Mod earlier this week I've already booked my dial type and serial number! How lucky was I?!! :nana:

Mate, I earn from my guitars. This project is my vanity.

I just love to design things...

OK, a little more secrets... Watches #2, #3, #4 and Divers #5 already designed too. Just let's finish with first one, and IF it will be a success - there will be mucho more eye candies.

onionbag

I like the design elements such as the 'cooling fins' on the case, and the relief on the bezel........where you'd slot in the spanner........I like the idea of it as a spanner, and not a key. :D

PetshaFey

I know what i will be putting on my Bday list....

DFH

OK, guys, let's talk about design. How do you like screwed-in bezel idea? How do you like design overall?

More specifics, please.

And - what you do NOT like?

Honestly, nothing I don;t like on this piece. When a piece is well conceived and executed - it makes sense to itself, and cannot be imagined any other way than how it is presented.

You have done this - the watch is a sum of all its well thought out details, and I can only see it for what it is, and every single decision and element is a purposeful part of a beautiful whole.

This is the goal in creative endeavors - the suspension of disbelief - that allows us to see something in the way the designer created it.

Highest compliment I can give - I am thoroughly impressed, and would not want to change a thing....