Cyril_Clunge
:rofl:

sardonix

OP leaving the building.....

Blurry_men_climbing_stairs.jpg

boneyjr

you guys are tough

LightGeek

Hahaha I thought you guys were tough until I saw the OPs pic. If you're proud enough to post about it, do take a decent pic :) all my pics are from my iPhone because I'm too lazy to post process and upload for this "amateur board"... But at least you can see my pics. Snap another one will ya, and the world will go round.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity of this message.

mostling

OP just passed by here, i think he was giving me the finger.

ezyjy6um.jpg

DKaiser Söze

I had to change the bands, as Alpha uses cheap-@$$ bands on its watches. C'mon, Alpha - seven inches?

Anyway, here's the 'GMT Pepsi' and the 'Daytona' riding on genuine lizard skin:

A5HIcs4CcAALu05.jpg

That pic should be illegal

YoungGPS
animated_gif_3d_051.gif Edited by YoungGPS

aoeu

I'm getting a bit sick of you constantly trying to claim some sort of moral superiority by the use of the words legal and illegal and now you start throwing the word amateur around too. If you want to be a member here I suggest you leave out the veiled insults and enter into the spirit of this place. If you don't feel like doing that then I suggest you reconsider your membership here.

Please. Show me where I declared the legal rep to be morally superior to the counterfeit. The simple fact is that these reps are legal and counterfeits are not. There's a big difference between legal and illegal. If you believe that legal / illegal is a distinction without a difference, try telling that to a judge. There is no claim to moral superiority here. The simple fact of the matter is that these legal reps have advantages over illegal ones, such as no worry about being ripped off, no worry about Customs, and being able to get the watch fixed anywhere. Illegal reps cannot make any of these claims.

Insofar as 'amateur' is concerned, the website dictionary.com defines 'amateur' as 'a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.'. I imagine the greatest majority of people who post here collect reps for pleasure. So yeah, 'amateur' would appear to apply. I can see how my wording could be viewed as an insult, and I apologise for that. However, I only have so much time / money on hand. I deal with enough perfectionist prescriptivism at work; I don't need it in my private life. So anyone who is going to make snarky comments about my iPhone's camera can kindly sit and spin. Again, I do apologise for my tone in the post which sparked your reaction. However, I make no apologies for telling the photo critics where to stick it.

While I'm on the topic - to call these legal reps 'homages' seriously pushes credibility. The word 'homage' is described at dictionary.com as 'respect or reverence paid or rendered'. These legal reps are exact clones of gen brands, with just baaaaarely enough changed to evade legal action. The people who buy them - like me - want the real thing, but can't afford them or consider them overpriced. That isn't 'respect or reverence' - it's ripping the look and feel, then changing the name. Like it or not, that's a rep. It's legal, yet still just as much of a rep as the illegal Canal Street 'Rolex'.

Finally, I would like to know how you perceived any moral superiority here. I've stated facts as I understand them. I do apologise if my tone carried across as abrasive; I assure you that was not my intent. I once read somewhere that communicating emotion over the internet is like a deaf person trying to hold a conversation with a blind person. Sounds about right to me. We're like Helen Keller, only more so. That's why it's sooooo important that we read with an open mind BEFORE we fly off the handle. ;o)

jeffw69

Fuck off already, please!

myaz

While I'm on the topic - to call these legal reps 'homages' seriously pushes credibility. The word 'homage' is described at dictionary.com as 'respect or reverence paid or rendered'. These legal reps are exact clones of gen brands, with just baaaaarely enough changed to evade legal action. The people who buy them - like me - want the real thing, but can't afford them or consider them overpriced. That isn't 'respect or reverence' - it's ripping the look and feel, then changing the name. Like it or not, that's a rep. It's legal, yet still just as much of a rep as the illegal Canal Street 'Rolex'.

Many words are evocative. For instance, quoting a dictionary for "franken" as you have done, gives the following:

Franken, Haut-Rhin, a commune of the Haut-Rhin département of France

However, Franken would be short for Frankenstein, a monstrosity crudely put together from scavenged parts. Hardly a literal description for the effort put into these watches.

Point being that this forum didn't invent the terms, we use them according to their accepted meanings, perhaps you could coin and popularize a more accurate term. Good luck.

HeavyKrush

A, that argument might get some play on a strict dialect forum, (try http://forum.wordreference.com), but here "rep" and "homage" are well established.

DKaiser Söze

Fuck off already, please!

Amen

Balad1

I'm not going to go through the trouble of doing a professional grade shoot for an amateur message board.

This upsets me.

Takes a lot to upset Del but looks like the OP has been sucessful.

@aoeu

Maybe you need to hang out with the pros at Rep Geek.

markeym3

Bit disappointed with this thread , don't like the bad feeling on what is usually a happy forum ..

Balad1

No worries Mate, reminds me a little of the good old days.

subiim
No worries Mate, reminds me a little of the good old days.

+1

Luthier

I kinda like OP's last post. He genuinely trying to defend his position, and, except using stupid "webdictionary.com" - he'd quite succeeded, and he apologized for his tone. Let's give a guy a second chance, and please, somebody, explain him, that any we dictionary mean shit to us, we have our own terminology, where's NO such a thing, as "legal replica" exist.

YoungGPS

I kinda like OP's last post. He genuinely trying to defend his position, and, except using stupid "webdictionary.com" - he'd quite succeeded, and he apologized for his tone. Let's give a guy a second chance, and please, somebody, explain him, that any we dictionary mean shit to us, we have our own terminology, where's NO such a thing, as "legal replica" exist.

+1 :thumbsup2:

RichardMiami

Or.. he can use dictionary.com or any other reference he wishes to look up "oxymoron". We are saying there is no legal rep because IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS HOBBY, a replica watch is a branded representation of someone else's copywritten material - therefore illegal by definition. If it looks like a submariner, and says ROLEX on the dial, and was NOT made by Roles, it is a replica, and counterfeit, and therefore NOT legal.

On the other hand, if I imitate the style of something, even in large respect (see - Alpha watches or Invicta or many others) I have imitated it, but I have not violated copyright laws. Hence, it is legal. These watches are known by a variety of names (including JUNK), but IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS HOBBY, they are known as Homages.

As we say in Brooklyn - there ain't no such thing as a "legal rep". It is an oxymoron.

Get over it. People have been trying to help you understand the terminology OF THIS HOBBY and you insist on being stubborn about it, saying that you know more than anyone else here. In simple terms, that is nonsense.

As for your photography skills, or lack thereof, you need to search on the posts of Del, or Baldrick or several others to see what watch photography should be like. It is a direct form of product photography and requires a certain technique and understanding of things like aperture, shutter speed, lighting, etc. These guys may or may not be professional product photographers, but who really cares? The fact is your photos are crap and do not even minimally meet the minimum standards of over 90% of the folks here. Simply put, as stated previously, get over it.

If you want to stay, and its up to you, take that damn chip off your shoulder and show some respect to the folks here who know more than you about both watches and photography and civility.

Or, and it is up to you, perhaps we can interest you in numismatics. I hear it is a fascinating way to spend an evening.

Balad1

FUCK HIM!

He insulted us and then started frigg'n moon walking when he got busted.

I'm proud to be a member here and anyone that isn't can hit the fucking bricks!!!

PS: Have a nice day.

:)