onzenuub

Two ways to Tighten a Rotating Bezel

onzenuub

Made out of posts on another board:

You know the symptoms: 1.) The bezel turns too easy 2.) It makes a sharp metallic 'clank clank' when you twist it and 3.) It makes metallic sounds when you tap on the bezel. It sounds kinda 'cheap'. I decided to use another common every-day household item to fix my bezel- Mint Waxed Dental Floss!

4273289111_7529dd5c7d_o.jpg

This mod literally took me just a few minutes (as you can see by the time on my watch) and the end-result is awesome. Your watch also ends up smelling minty fresh as well as feeling gen.

1.) Cut a ~20 inch long strand of waxed floss. The length and strength of dental floss makes inserting it under the bezel a breeze. The leverage you get with a long string of floss was easier for me than small pieces of foil. The wax also adds friction to the bezel.

4273289155_c0c03c0692_o.jpg

2.) Just like flossing teeth, slide the floss gently back and forth to slip under the bezel. Slide the floss close to the center of the case as you can. My theory is, the closer you get to the case the better and you can get it under the spring or whatever is in the bezel that makes it click. (I don't know about this, though.. since I haven't taken the bezel off) Make sure you use the middle part of the floss for this first insertion.

4274032980_7c8e56c73a_o.jpg

3.) Now, simply take both sides of the floss and run it to the other side of the bezel. Tuck the floss in deeply as you run it around to the other side. Criss-cross the floss and go back up to the other side. You will ultimately criss-cross the floss a couple of times to get the desired effect.

4273289211_2fe0835d53_o.jpg

4273289245_ab4b404623_o.jpg

You can start to feel the bezel firm up. If it still clanks in certain areas (mine still clanked when I pressed the bezel around the NE mark) you can simply add more floss.

4.) Finally, I cut the floss and used a razor blade to "tuck" the ends of the floss under the bezel.. making it completely invisible. Another member, Kollektor, has suggested cutting another piece of floss and using it to "tuck" the ends of the floss under the case instead of using a blade. When you are done, simply discard that extra floss.

4274033084_a3777e4e6f_o.jpg

2nd Method

Bought a Pam 199 and love it. Although this model is claimed to be on of the best out of box rep’s it does however have a flaw…the bezel…In a word the bezel is sloppy and if handled by others then its a dead give away that the watch is likely to be a rep. Current fixes require the bezel to be glued in place so it doesn’t move, but in my opinion a none working bezel also strongly suggests a rep.

Before the fix this is what my bezel sounded and felt like…

1.Tap the bezel and it makes a rattle type sound

2.Move the bezel and its sloppy with too much play

3.When turning the bezel it makes “tinny†clicking sound and sounds cheap.

So below is an alternative fix that’s easy to do, but in order to do so properly please note the tips provided below…

This may sound odd but in truth it works surprising well. The solution…to pack out the bezel with silver foil….

•1) You could remove the bezel but I prefer not to do so…Note the gap between bezel and watch body, this is where I am going to start inserting the silver foil.

4273300261_cf1e080811_o.jpg

•2)Start by tightly packing silver foil into the gap…adding a little is not enough it will soon break free. The tip here is to pack it well, Pack the silver foil in tightly and rotate the bezel periodically then repeat.. and repeat… keep rotating the bezel after each packing this will work the silver paper so its packed tightly inside the bezel…keep adding more, the bezel will get very tight, don’t stop..Turning the bezel will free it off…pack again. It took me 30 to 40 mins just to pack this bezel.

4274044100_f3809607b3_o.jpg

•3) Note how neatly hidden the packing is, it actually makes the bezel look better on close

•inspection as the gap disappears and the bezel looks extremely flush.

4274044172_661348613c_o.jpg

•4) Here its starting to take shape, but I need to add to all of the bezel not just a section, otherwise it will break up. Keep going until every section of the bezel is full. Next I smooth off the excess with my finger nail.

4273300467_e23f1b1af7_o.jpg

•5) The end result…. It feels totally genuine…. Tap it and it doesn’t make a rattling sound, turn it, and it clicks firmly in place. The bezel is firm and solid. Will it last?....I have rotated this bezel 30 or 40 times or so an the silver foil is firmly in place. If you are like me then I hardly ever turn the bezel, but, if called out then I would hand this watch over gladly, the bezel is no longer a give away, it feels totally authentic.

bob bean

The dental floss worked well for me.

I had to make sure it was the thin dental floss, the thick stuff just frayed.

Now I just go to AD's rotate my bezel, smirk and leave!

I'm very happy. Thanks Onze.

P_Diddy

Has anyone tried the silver foil method for SELs that are not 'tight'

wonder if that would work? :D

Patrick1967

Bringing this back from the dead :thumbsup2:

Thanks Huub! I did the floss fix and it worked like a charm on my KHS Missiontimer. My Seiko Monster is up next!

(Oops... both gens. Sorry ;-))

nadeemp8

Just used the dental floss trick on my Omega 300M and it worked like a charm, thank you!!

opus9

Simply fantastic tip and..thanks so much.works a treat..now to find a thread on how to paint in the white on the numerals,as mine came with only the engraving and no white bezel paint!!!

KeNnY
Simply fantastic tip and..thanks so much.works a treat..now to find a thread on how to paint in the white on the numerals,as mine came with only the engraving and no white bezel paint!!!

I have lots of white enamel paint here , will do it for you mate.

solkryssare

You did this on your sub? Cool!

d1isthe1

I will try the floss on my BKdssd which has a slightly loose bezel... shud work ... anyone tried the foil method?

Thanx for sharing :lmao:

Edited by d1isthe1

Eiderdaus

If any one is low on dental floss, I have alot of preowned /used dental floss spare. I will put either in the sales section or pm to me :lmao:

g.man

Ahahaha!

Uhrzeit

I will try the floss on my BKdssd which has a slightly loose bezel... shud work ... anyone tried the foil method?

Thanx for sharing smile.png

Did you try the floss way to tighten the bezel? Any results? Appreciate your feedback, if you managed it. I have a BKDSSD...

Bye

Uhrzeit

dejavu157

I did this, now my bezel turns both ways...

Gixerboy

Dental floss work great on my omega PO Chrono. Thanks!

narikaa

Finally

The British have a use for Dental Floss

10:10 Watch Repair

Finally

narikaa's best post.

Bobbylah

Finally

narikaa's best post.

Yep, works great a a cock-ring.

Gixerboy

Yep!

James bond floss 007 one ;-)

12lurk
I did this, now my bezel turns both ways...

Has anyone else had this issue?

What watch was this on?

J!m

On subs I use a case back o-ring to smooth and tighten the action. Pop the bezel, insert the o-ring (lubed) and pop it back together.

On my current 5517 project I am using a genuine bezel washer since the construction is also a replica of the original.

BigSteve

Fantastic....I have a couple of watches with sloppy bezels and have never known how to rectify them. It looks as if I'll be doing a lot of reading in this section.

Cheers....BigSteve

Edited by BigSteve

jizza24

Just did this mod to my Skyland bezel is much stiffer and wont move out of place.

Heisenberg

I just tried this on a newly received Black Bay and it worked a treat. Thanks.

Frazzle

Just what I was looking for. Thanks

Hazz

Just what I was looking for. Thanks

That's the one I sold you about,I prefer the foil tbh