Sign in to follow this  
R2D4

R2's Making of a Planet Ocean Pearl

R2D4

Seanf sent me a PM asking me if I would epoxy on a new pearl to his 42MM pecker. I said no way Jose! I don't play that way. Jk, smile.png it was for his 42MM Planet Ocean 3rd gen I believe.

He sent me new inserts with pearls. I looked and thought, I know we can do better than that. They were those canal street flat zits. So, what you see here are random photos that I took during the process. I willl do my best to explain and answer any questions you may have. smile.png

1st I took the bezel off of his watch with one of these:

IMGP3642.jpg

2nd I took the insert out and put away the spring and plunger for the ratcheting of the bezel.

3rd I took the new orange insert and popped out the canal street pearl and sized up what I would need to make sure this fit under the bezel as per the gen.

4th I took some 3MM 304SS rod and chucked it up in the lathe. (My lathe is really to big for this.) That's what she said, bha dha bump tish! rimshot.gif

5th I milled down a ledge to about 1.65MM OD to fit into the insert. It was 1.10MM in height. This was due to having enough shoulder to give the pearl height.

6th I milled a 2.5MM OD ledge to act as a stop to prevent the pearl from fall through.

7th I polished and rounded off the edges of the pearl with would be visible.

8th I milled a .047 Inch Flat Flute Mill and made a well for the paint, lume and epoxy.

IMGP5090.jpg

9th, I filed the insert hole to accept the new pearl with a miniature round file. Carefully removing stock.

10th Paint with white paint, lume mixture, V10 GlowInc. 15/20 Particle, then covered with clear epoxy.

IMGP5092.jpg

11th I filed out some space on the bezel to all allow for shoulder clearance.

12th I Used GS Cement to glue the insert back in.

End Result.

IMGP5103-1.jpg

KinCaidk

nice work R2D4! I wish I had the skill and equipment to do mods like this.... But I don't :P

Thanks for posting!

offshore
12th I Used GS Cement to glue the insert back in.

Are you totally satisfied with GS for this job?

I ask, because whilst I too use GS for inserts, I have seen a number of comments where GS was not considered good enough.

O/S

dingle
nice work R2D4! I wish I had the skill and equipment to do mods like this.... But I don't :P

Thanks for posting!

+1

not a clue on what you just did. awesome skills you have R2!

R2D4

Thanks Guys, I guess I have never had a problem with it but if there is something better I would switch just to be safe. This took a lot of time and I would hate to have to re-do it due to a lost insert. :P I have heard of people using gorilla glue but isn't that too permanent?

dingle
Thanks Guys, I guess I have never had a problem with it but if there is something better I would switch just to be safe. This took a lot of time and I would hate to have to re-do it due to a lost insert. :) I have heard of people using gorilla glue but isn't that too permanent?

I would think gorilla glue would "expand" to much......it reacts like grits......(i assume you know what grits are)...anyways it swells to 4-5 times its size when it dries.

greg_r

Nice work R2! Thanks for sharing :)

R2D4
Thanks Guys, I guess I have never had a problem with it but if there is something better I would switch just to be safe. This took a lot of time and I would hate to have to re-do it due to a lost insert. :) I have heard of people using gorilla glue but isn't that too permanent?

I would think gorilla glue would "expand" to much......it reacts like grits......(i assume you know what grits are)...anyways it swells to 4-5 times its size when it dries.

Shit I love me some grits! I have them at least twice a week. If I had a waffle house nearby, I would be the size of Jabadahut.

dingle

Shit I love me some grits! I have them at least twice a week. If I had a waffle house nearby, I would be the size of Jabadahut.

:huh:

we have 2 Waffle Houses in town and 2 knockoffs...all the cooks look like this: :)

cybee

Wow you have a bezel remover R2. I have changed out pearls before but never eaten a grit..Great job you did.

greg_r
we have 2 Waffle Houses in town and 2 knockoffs...all the cooks look like this: :D

As do most of the customers.... :lol:

PCSAM

can you make me one please .its not for my PO .

i wand to glue it to the centre of my forehead so i can look sexy in the dark .....

R2D4
can you make me one please .its not for my PO .

i wand to glue it to the centre of my forehead so i can look sexy in the dark .....

Yes as long as you promise not to put it on your bum. That would be an insult. :)

toddster63

PHOTOS GONE.... THREAD USELESS...!!

The internet can be so wonderful, and then like this thread, so sad and useless and temporary...

Ska

bollocks - I was looking for this thread for AGES too.

R2D4

I don't know why these photos went missing, it was not intentional. I will attempt to figure out where there are and restore them. My full apologies.

Should be fixed. This was not my best job, but it did the trick.

trailboss99

Thanks R2, it helps to have an entire manufacturing plant at your disposal :)