Sign in to follow this  
shay224

IWC Portuguese Automatic - Need Advice&Knowledge!!

shay224

Hello all,

I wanted some help from some vets that are knowledgeable about IWC reps. I've started my rep collection with a Pam111 and a Sub from Narikaa. I've always been an IWC fan and ran across this one on Silix's website and would like to see how to start seeing if this is a good rep to purchase.

http://www.silix-prime.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_144_180&products_id=1468

the Gen:

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW5001/

For myself, i can see the date looks like its sunken in on the dial, the gen's case is 42.3 x 14mm, while the rep is 42 x 12mm. The power reserve and second hand wheels are not in the same placement as the gen also.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty good rep of the gen. I am not sure about the movement as its not something I found on the summary of movements I've been using that was posted up by another member here (forgot name).

If anyone can shed some light/knowledge on whether this is a good buy, please let me know!!! Thank you!

-Shay

shay224

anybodyyyyy??? I know there aren't many IWC followers here, or it seems like there isn't.

Crusader

It's seems a bit expensive, $168 for 21j movement... looks good though, if you like it, go for it :)

Anonimous

The only odd thing is that silix says it's got a working power reserve and trusty says it's a faux one. See here:

http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_189&products_id=2824

But than again it could be that these are two different versions. It doesn't hurt to ask. I know I would be very disappointed if it didn't work in the end.

Regards

mindvision

Faux version has the right distance to center, working version is inaccurate compared to gen. Overall, faux version is considered to be more reliable.

Luthier

1. Faux mean it will not give you 7 days of PR, just usual 2 days.

2. It's 23j Seagull 2530 movement with WORKING power reserve.

3. Don't be so anal, it's fucking replica!!!

spiltyu

...for myself, i can see the date looks like its sunken in on the dial...

The date wheel is not just sunken but it is in wrong position... It can easily be spotted that it is a rep. When I first saw a gen I fell in love with that immediately and started looking for a good rep. Unfortunately there is no good rep for this one... :(

shay224

Thanks for all the responses!

=)

initram5

Very nice version.

prb

One thing I could never stand on these watches was the date cyclops on the dial itself. I'm not sure if this one has it, but its fairly common on 21j IWC reps and I find it to be nothing more than a refleciton magnet

nzbhero

Has anyone ever found a good rep of these Portuguese watches? I love the white dial and blue numbers but there seem to be so many issues with these guys. I really love the 3714, but that rep has the sec@6 issue. This rep does not seem that well put together. Does anyone have any ideas? Or should my cheap a$$ stop whining and go buy a gen? : )

Prancuzas

I'm also a big fan of 5001 and 3714.

3714 - i would avoid this piece at any cost because of problem at six. Go franken with this one (gen dail, movement) or go quartz if You want a very nice looking piece for small amount of money.

5001 - i wouldnt mind if power reserve is working or not, but the datewheel is pain in the arse - it just does look very wrong and incomplete.

If you want good iwc dress rep look at automatic portofinos (not chronos, they arent reped well), new vintage ingenieur from noob or hand-wound portugueses.

nzbhero

Thanks Prancuzas! I appreciate the recommendation. It looks like if i want to to go the 3714 route, that franken is the right way to do it. I am thinking that this might be worth the $1500 or so I would need to shell out based on how much i like the watch.

As for the hand-wound Portuguese, do you have a link from TD that might one? Would want to take a peek...

docedelschick

i have that watch. Beautiful piece. Works great.

746_heuer

That portuguese smells like fake from miles, so I personally wouldnt wear it. I suggest the Parnis power reserve, which is the same watch, but instead of rep its a homage. The main reason why I like it better is because the power reserve subdial indicates real hours instead of 7 days. I am happy with mine, and its cheaper because its not a rep (80$).

But if you really want an IWC rep, the portuguese chrono are closer to the gen than de 7days

Edited by 746_heuer

Iceman767

If you don't mind spending a decent amount i would recommend a stowa for a little under $2k

It is a great watch and the build, quality is second to none for the price you'll be paying.

I have the Chrono Marine and it compliments my existing IWCs Portuguese.

Stowa_Chrono1938_crs.jpg

That portuguese smells like fake from miles, so I personally wouldnt wear it. I suggest the Parnis power reserve, which is the same watch, but instead of rep its a homage. The main reason why I like it better is because the power reserve subdial indicates real hours instead of 7 days. I am happy with mine, and its cheaper because its not a rep (80$).

But if you really want an IWC rep, the portuguese chrono are closer to the gen than de 7days

what is the quality of the build like on your $80 Parnis?

746_heuer

what is the quality of the build like on your $80 Parnis?

Excellent for the price, but nowhere near a $1k watch.

brumcall

Hey, do you run in a crowd that knows the difference between a gen and rep, if so then they know it is rep.

If you like then buy it.

Michelle wit silix-prime has treated me great, so you can not go wrong with this TD.

diaby2afc

There are two versions? I'm only aware of the working PR. Where's the faux version available?

higginsd

Re-animating a thread which was dead for nearly 2 years... Not bad!