Sign in to follow this  
arancini

PAM Rep Life Expectancy

arancini

Just a general question regarding not only the PAM 111 Noob V3, but Rep PAMS and Reps in general.

What is the working lifespan of these Reps and what are the determining factors?

Assuming the quality of movement, the factory maker and pot luck may all play a part, given little to zero quality control.

Would love to hear members' experiences, especially with Rep PAMS.

Luthier

Could live longer, than you.

arancini

Good to hear.

That's a bloody long time!

With a bit of Pot Luck. :giggle:

lightnoise

Good to hear.

That's a bloody long time!

With a bit of Pot Luck. :giggle:

+1 I just order my first pam 111n v3 :)

Rob Roy

Look after the watch , You will be surprised how well reps last.

Col

Corv99

yes think it depends on the watch.. some expensive ones can be DOA!! I had a Pam that I sold on here, it has been sold again since

I got it on a trip in hte far east.... it ran for me for 10 years with no problems at all, no service!! its still going now

arancini

yes think it depends on the watch.. some expensive ones can be DOA!! I had a Pam that I sold on here, it has been sold again since

I got it on a trip in hte far east.... it ran for me for 10 years with no problems at all, no service!! its still going now

Pretty impressive.

Had a PAM 111 Rep in 2008 (from H-Factory) and it's still going strong, although the seconds hand did fall off.

Not expecting Gen. like longevity but assume the Noob will at least give me four years.

Corv99

Pretty impressive.

Had a PAM 111 Rep in 2008 (from H-Factory) and it's still going strong, although the seconds hand did fall off.

Not expecting Gen. like longevity but assume the Noob will at least give me four years.

yes would think so..... think quality is getting better.. but you never know!!

diegosaenz

So far about a year on my 111 beginner, it is running strong still :)

Hazz

MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS:

Like everything else with moving parts, regularly serviced and maintined, should last, neglection is destruction.

Rob Roy

MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS:

Like everything else with moving parts, regularly serviced and maintined, should last, neglection is destruction.

+1

arancini

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Interesting point about the servicing.

What sort of time frame would one recommend for a Rep Pam with a high beat 6497 (21,600bhp) movement?

Hazz

What sort of time frame would one recommend for a Rep Pam with a high beat 6497 (21,600bhp) movement?

Treat it as you would a car

grb

When it falls over change the movement then you get another lifetime

Luthier

Once in about 4 years.

10:10 Watch Repair

3000 miles?

More importantly, you've been on here more than 10 years?

arancini

Would love to hear your thoughts as well 10:10, both on the Asian 6497 (21,600) movement and on servicing intervals.

Corv99

3000 miles?

More importantly, you've been on here more than 10 years?

Ha ha no not me , year and a half roughly!!

10:10 Watch Repair

Would love to hear your thoughts as well 10:10, both on the Asian 6497 (21,600) movement and on servicing intervals.

The A6497 hi beat is a solid movement, almost as good as the Swiss now.

That said, every step of rep making has a tendency to screw things up more and more. The bridges are removed and decorated, and then rarely assembled correctly. Screws are left loose, oil is slathered on bridges, or parts are not cleaned and oiled, fingerprints, dust and dirt are left in the movement, seconds pinions are filed down and the shavings mostly brushed out. The dial and hands may not fit the case, or each other, dial feet are bent, hands don't have enough clearance or are loose on their posts, things are scratched, bent, and prodded into position causing problems that will likely surface later.

If no irreparable damage has been done, and the hands, dial and casing are good, the watch should last as long as any watch (that is virtually forever) as long as it's properly maintained.

It can be serviced initially and most or all problems can be caught, or, serviced when and if it breaks down.

If it's serviced correctly, with todays oils, the watch should be good for 5 years or more. Depending on how it's treated, seals may need to replaced sooner.

Specifically the noob PAMs seem to be the best assembled reps out there, but they're not without their problems, hands clearance being the main one.

myaz

FWIW, Rolex recommends a tune 'n lube every 5 years

arancini

Cheers 10:10.

Excellent info. Many thanks.

Think I've found my Rep. repairer of choice.

jeffw69

as long as you keep changing the battery, should last forever.

arancini

Now that's a comment worthy of a masturbating muppet. :giggle:

jeffw69

Now that's a comment worthy of a masturbating muppet. :giggle:

my avatar is changed, you knew? no more wanking Kermit.

arancini

my avatar is changed, you knew? no more wanking Kermit.

Wanking Kermit was hilarious.

Full Metal Jacket. What a Movie.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?

Recruits: [In unison in a normal speaking tone] Sir, yes Sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!