Sign in to follow this  
howasong

What's the difference between PAM 111 and 177?

howasong

Sorry, noob here, been reading a lot of threads about PAM but still can't seem to find the answers for my questions :

(1) What are the differences between 111 and 177? I can't quite tell from the appearance of the two models, please forgive my ignorance.

(2) What's 6497-2 movement? What is the difference between -1 and -2? Is there any difference in terms of reliability and accuracy between a Swiss 6497 and Asian 6497 out of box before any service applied?

(3) How does Getat's homage compare to, said, a rep PAM 111/177? I am thinking about this one, I can customize it to be Titanium case, with sapphire crystal, plus superlume for $130 + $20 something for shipping. That seems to me a very good watch for a reasonable price, which is if I don't care if the watch has a PAM logo on it or not, right? What do you guys think?

Any replies are welcome. Thanks.

Edited by howasong

KinCaidk
Sorry, noob here, been reading a lot of threads about PAM but still can't seem to find the answers for my questions :

(1) What are the differences between 111 and 177? I can't quite tell from the appearance of the two models, please forgive my ignorance.

(2) What's 6497-2 movement? What is the difference between -1 and -2? Is there any difference in terms of reliability and accuracy between a Swiss 6497 and Asian 6497 out of box before any service applied?

(3) How does Getat's homage compare to, said, a rep PAM 111/177? I am thinking about this one, I can customize it to be Titanium case, with sapphire crystal, plus superlume for $130 + $20 something for shipping. That seems to me a very good watch for a reasonable price, which is if I don't care if the watch has a PAM logo on it or not, right? What do you guys think?

Any replies are welcome. Thanks.

Okay, I am not a PAM expert in any way! just ask Greg... :D

1.: I believe that the 177 features a titanium case and the 111 features a polished stainless steel case.

2.: If I remember correctly, the 6497-2 is a highbeat version of -1.

3.: If you don't care about the Panerai name on the dial, then I wouldn't think twice about getting a 177 homage from Getat. You get saphire, superlume and a KILLER strap at a bargain price. (I have a 111 homage from Tat)

I hope this helps.

greg_r

+1 to what Kinky said.

2. The Swiss and Asian 6497s are both ultra-reliable and easy to service. To be honest, even the so-called Swiss movements you find in Panerai reps have asian bridges (necessary to replicate the look of the Panerai movements), so I'd save your money and go for the Asian movement in the first place. I also wouldn't worry about whether the movement is low or high beat - given the size of the sub seconds dial at 9, the visible difference is almost non-existent. Both movements sweep very smoothly.

3. Getat's watches are superb for the money. To get, say, a rep 111 that's better than Tat's $99 homage, you'd have to pay two to three times the price. For what it's worth, there's only one more 44mm PAM on my wants list - which will be a 177 homage with superlume from Tat. :D

howasong

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. It helps.

So, am I safe to say this : PAM's model is basically based on variation of (1) case size (44, 45, 46mm...etc.), (2) case material (polished or brushed SS, Ti, or PVD), and (3) movement complication and dial (sec hand at 9, date, power reserve, chrono ...etc.). They don't have line up such as Seamaster, Speedmaster, Daytona, Deepsea Dweller ... etc.

Some eye candies for you guys here. I came across to this guy's blog and saw some nice pictures he took for PAM 292(J/K). Very nice pictures. :D

I think I will order that 44mm 177 with superlume homage from Tat next week to see if PAM is for me or not. :lol:

greg_r
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. It helps.

So, am I safe to say this : PAM's model is basically based on variation of (1) case size (44, 45, 46mm...etc.), (2) case material (polished or brushed SS, Ti, or PVD), and (3) movement complication and dial (sec hand at 9, date, power reserve, chrono ...etc.). They don't have line up such as Seamaster, Speedmaster, Daytona, Deepsea Dweller ... etc.

Some eye candies for you guys here. I came across to this guy's blog and saw some nice pictures he took for PAM 292(J/K). Very nice pictures. :D

I think I will order that 44mm 177 with superlume homage from Tat next week to see if PAM is for me or not. B)

Yup. There's two major Panerai ranges, the Radiomirs (mostly 42, 45 or 47mm most without crown guards) and the regular range with CGs at 44 and 47mm. There are also the Ferrari models (44mm) plus a few oddities such as the Mare Nostrum (50mm), the Big Egiziano (60mm) and a handful of others.

That 177 homage is a good place to start though :lol: