Sign in to follow this  
howasong

Watch case/head/bracelet maerial comparison?

howasong

Another general question regarding watch case/head/bracelet material in order to help me learn more about watch :

• Stainless Steel
  • Titanium
  • Ceramic
  • PVD

Is this the right order in terms of resistance to scratches? I understand both Ceramic and PVD are just surface treatment/coating. Do they really live up to their reputation? I know I can re-brush, or re-polish the stainless steel case/bracelet to remove some minor scratches, wears and tears. How about Ceramic or PVD? If I do manage to scratch them, are they impossible to be re-treated (well, at least not possible by myself for sure)?

What's your personal experience on these different material and what's your preferences on them when you buy your rep?

Thanks. All options welcome. :thumbsup:

trailboss99

Not quite. It goes more like this:

Gold

Silver

PVD

Ti

SS

Ceramic

DLC (diamond like coating)

Normal PVD is actualy quite soft. DLC is a PVD process but using a much harder substance bearing

a very close resemblence to crystaline carbon (diamond). Ceramic can be either a coating or the watch case/braclet may be solid ceramide like the Top Gun or J12.

Col.

fakemaster

Ceramic is not a coating. At least the good stuff isn't. Titanium and SS are both prone to scratching. The difference is Ti is lighter. But SS is much easier to refinish. PVD can scratch as well but IMO it gains character the more it ages.

Member X
Normal PVD is actualy quite soft. DLC is a PVD process but using a much harder substance bearing

a very close resemblence to crystaline carbon (diamond).

Say, are you sure this is right?

I was of the understanding that PVD was just a coating to the watch, whereas DLC was more of a 'stain' to the metal, it bonds at such a molecular level?

trailboss99

Close, yes but it is still a PositiveVapourDeposition process. It takes place at a higher temp than "normal" PVD but the process is still refered to as PVD, the product is DLC.

PVD bonds at that level, just nowhere near as well as DLC. But as it's name sugests DLC is still a coating.

Col.

howasong
Ceramic is not a coating. At least the good stuff isn't. Titanium and SS are both prone to scratching. The difference is Ti is lighter. But SS is much easier to refinish. PVD can scratch as well but IMO it gains character the more it ages.

Really? I always have the impression the full ceramic is actually easier to break, so they all have mild steel inside of them, maybe I was wrong then .. time to read up. :popcorn:

howasong
Not quite. It goes more like this:

Gold

Silver

PVD

Ti

SS

Ceramic

DLC (diamond like coating)

a very close resemblence to crystaline carbon (diamond). Ceramic can be either a coating or the watch case/braclet may be solid ceramide like the Top Gun or J12.

Col.

Thanks for the correction, in this case, I think I will prefer the SS then, it's hard enough and it's easier to re-finish it. :popcorn: